Options

Live the band is awesome

melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
edited March 2006 in Other Music
thats rite people great singer he is all there albums are so good there last album birds of prey was great cant wait for the new album songs from black mountain there one of the last great bands still round
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    thats rite people great singer he is all there albums are so good there last album birds of prey was great cant wait for the new album songs from black mountain there one of the last great bands still round

I thought Birds of Prey was pretty crap myself, the lyrics had me cringing all the way through. Throwing Copper on the other hand, is an absolute masterpiece, and definitely ranks in my top ten albums of all time. The Distance to Here and Secret Samadhi also had some really good stuuf on them, but after that they seem to have gone really down hill. I will check out the new album, but if the first single is anything to go by I don't hold out much hope.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    so far from what i have heard..this album sounds pretty similar to "Birds of Pray"
    looking forward to it..so far have enjoyed everything they have released though the newer albums aren't as good as their older material.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    After "copper" and mayde after "secret" all the albums were really over produced. Not really raw! Made to slide into your ear and as far as I'm concerned slide right out the other.
    Give me Mental jewelry and Throwing copper the very best.

But thats just me.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    After "copper" and mayde after "secret" all the albums were really over produced. Not really raw! Made to slide into your ear and as far as I'm concerned slide right out the other.
    Give me Mental jewelry and Throwing copper the very best.

But thats just me.

Yep, did not like anything after throwing copper.... Ed is has an ego larger than the world and thinks his writings and thoughts are deeper than any ocean. They were much better when they were teenagers banging it out in York, PA
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I thought Birds of Prey was pretty crap myself, the lyrics had me cringing all the way through. Throwing Copper on the other hand, is an absolute masterpiece, and definitely ranks in my top ten albums of all time. The Distance to Here and Secret Samadhi also had some really good stuuf on them, but after that they seem to have gone really down hill. I will check out the new album, but if the first single is anything to go by I don't hold out much hope.

I agree totally. I enjoyed the Hell out of Mental Jewelry, Throwing Copper, and Secret Samahdi. They did go downhill after that. But I'm with you, Throwing Copper in my top 10 all time favorite albums. The whole cd front to back is a gem. BTW, if you buy there greatest hits package it comes with a dvd of all of their videos, which was nice.
  • Options
    TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    i was always a fan of copper... but was a bit ignorant to everything after secret sam.

i went to their GH tour about 18mths ago and saw them at a sold out small venue with 2000 capacity. it was an amazing show, despite ed having a sore throat. he pulled through.. struggled here and there, but the crowd helped him along.

im yet to hear their new release.. is the general consnsus that its a bit bland?
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    Throwing Copper is one of my all time favourite albums. After that I just liked a few songs here and there. I saw them two summers ago at an outdoor venue and there were awesome even though they seemed to have a little rock star attitude going on
  • Options
    hoonbeamhoonbeam Posts: 24
    The first three albums were great. And I'm gonna go as far as to say that I really liked The Distance to Here as well. But I didn't even purchase V, and to be honest, I've heard very little of it. But what I did hear and the lyrics I've read... Wasn't there lyrics that said something like "With Live it's game 7 every single night"? Yuck!

I bought Birds of Pray hoping that it held promise, and I was let down.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,847
    Lightning crashes, a new mother cries

Fantastic stuff.

Copper and Secret are well worth a listen. Not too keen on their newer stuff though.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    "The Distance to Here" is my favorite album of theirs..."Throwing Copper" is up their too. That's one of those albums that's really a big piece of mid-90's music history.

The "V" album was pretty awful. It's really horribly overproduced and has lame self-referential lyrics. I'd almost say they made it that way on purpose to make some sort of statement. Almost...

I thought "Birds of Pray" was at least musically and improvement. It definately rocks harder and has a rougher sound to it. I hope "Black Mountain" is decent too.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I used to love these guys. I have seen them 10 times. Their live show peaked with the Secret Sumadhi tour in my opinion. Ed then started to become waaaaay too preachy for my taste. While the songs on the Distance were decent, it was the beginning of the end for me. I saw them in support of V which outside of a couple songs was terrible and I saw them just before BoP came out. The new stuff was soooo bad. Ed's gotta stop worrying about everyone loving each other and he has gotta start rocking again.

Anyone catch their tour with Jane's Addiction? Live opened. Their set was acoustic (had no idea going in). I am all for an unplugged set, but it was terrible. They have run the gammett for me. Some of the best and some of the worst shows I have ever seen.
  • Options
    i thought V and birds of prey are just great way better then secert samadhi to me is there worst
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    V was quite possibly their worst effort. Most of the other albums are pretty good. I am very interested to see if the Songs from Black Mountain returns to roots or stays in the Birds mold.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    LBC1076 wrote:
    V was quite possibly their worst effort. Most of the other albums are pretty good. I am very interested to see if the Songs from Black Mountain returns to roots or stays in the Birds mold.

I agree, V was mostly awful. But the same people here that cut down Live for their sound after Copper and the ones that shit on people here for not liking Pearl Jam after Vs.....bands evolve.

Oh, and then people saying Ed has an ego and that he preaches too much....very funny to read on a Pearl Jam message board. ;) What Ed are we talking about?

My ranking of this great band's records...

1) Throwing Copper (one of the best ever)
    2) The Distance to Here (very underrated album)
    3) Mental Jewelry
    4) Secret Samadhi
    5) Birds of Pray
    6) V

I have heard a bunch of the new songs live at the House of Blues in Aneheim...I was unfortunately not all that impressed...they were nice songs, but all of them had the same pace...nothing rockin'. I hope the album sounds a little better or this will only be ranked above 'V'.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I am seeing live for the first time this year at the Rock Werchter Festival and cant wait. While some are better than others, I like all of their albums.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Good band, with some good albums.

1.Throwing Copper
    2.Secret Samadhi
    3.Distance to Here
    4.Mental Jewelry
    4.V
    5.Birds of Pray
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Mental Jewelry all the way through Distance to Here are excellent albums...

V is a strange addition to their album catalog... pretty bad...

They redeemed themselves somewhat with Birds of Pray, and hopefully that trend will continue with the new disc.

(However, The River is pretty bad - but you can go to fansoflive.com and hear various MP3s, one is of a song called Sophia, which is going to be on the record - pretty cool LIVE track, if you ask me...)
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=94515&skuId=94517

You can listen to 30 second clips of the new record at the above link.

All I can say is, what the fuck happened? When did Live become the most boring, middle of the road, Creed-lite band on the go? I'm genuinely shocked at how down hill this band has gone.

The first time I heard Live, was at a time when I really needed a record to completely consume me, I hated school, hated home and couldn't seem to get along with my friends, so I took myself down to the local record shop and bought Throwing Copper, I only heard of it through a friend who claimed they were just Pearl Jam wannabes, so i kind of wanted to prove him wrong. Anyway, that is probably the first album I remember listening to from scratch with no idea what to expect, that totally floored me. It still evokes a lot of emotion in me to this day, it is in my mind, an absolute masterpiece. So hearing how cliched and boring they sound these days, makes me pretty sad. I can hardly believe these are the same people that wrote songs like All over you, Lightning crashes, Iris etc. Let's hope the next one is better.......
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    So it is unanimous, everybody loves throwing copper! i don't really know much about anything else they have done, but that album is just pure genius, not one bad song on it IMO.
  • Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 318
    I think Mental Jewelry is easily their best work, and actually one of my favorite albums. The lyrics are really something beautiful. Throwing Copper is an undeniably great record, as well. I kept up with Live until I heard the first single from V.....I never heard the entirety of that album or Birds of Pray. I should probably give them a chance at some point...
  • Options
    http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=94515&skuId=94517

You can listen to 30 second clips of the new record at the above link.

All I can say is, what the fuck happened? When did Live become the most boring, middle of the road, Creed-lite band on the go? I'm genuinely shocked at how down hill this band has gone.

The first time I heard Live, was at a time when I really needed a record to completely consume me, I hated school, hated home and couldn't seem to get along with my friends, so I took myself down to the local record shop and bought Throwing Copper, I only heard of it through a friend who claimed they were just Pearl Jam wannabes, so i kind of wanted to prove him wrong. Anyway, that is probably the first album I remember listening to from scratch with no idea what to expect, that totally floored me. It still evokes a lot of emotion in me to this day, it is in my mind, an absolute masterpiece. So hearing how cliched and boring they sound these days, makes me pretty sad. I can hardly believe these are the same people that wrote songs like All over you, Lightning crashes, Iris etc. Let's hope the next one is better.......

Yeah, the only glimmer of hope I really hear on that album is "Sophia"...

I'm all for bands "progressing"... but not when they become bad...

Still one of my favorite bands... but I am not so much of a "homer" that I won't acknowledge the downturn.

Go find the MP3 of Sophia on fansoflive.com though,,, pretty sweet LIVE tune...
  • Options
    Human Tide wrote:
    I think Mental Jewelry is easily their best work, and actually one of my favorite albums. The lyrics are really something beautiful. Throwing Copper is an undeniably great record, as well. I kept up with Live until I heard the first single from V.....I never heard the entirety of that album or Birds of Pray. I should probably give them a chance at some point...

Don't bother with V, but yes, give Birds of Pray a listen, it was a step in the right direction...
  • Options
    listening to Turn My Head

beautiful
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    NakedClown wrote:
    Don't bother with V, but yes, give Birds of Pray a listen, it was a step in the right direction...

I tried it, but I never get into it. Their new song Sofia sounds promisfull.
  • Options
    afaridafarid Posts: 177
    Love LIVE i have all their albums but I am not going to buy the new album. Personally all their songs from DTH on wards pretty much sound the same. NOthing new, and like the previous post, they have become pretty boring. However the first two albums are Classic no doubt about that. They can put on really great show.
    I think that band could have been much bigger, I think after "Throwing Copper" they lost thier mind and made a very unaccesible album. I find "Secret Samadhi" very hard to listen to. The Videos the lyrics were all wierd and since then they have been playing it safe.

However they are big in Europe and Australia and South America
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Options
    i dont agree at all i think the album V was pretty good something new not there best work but some great songs overcome is one of there best songs and birds of prey was great had some rocking songs i dont agree with you people when you say live got boring
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    Yep, did not like anything after throwing copper.... Ed is has an ego larger than the world and thinks his writings and thoughts are deeper than any ocean. They were much better when they were teenagers banging it out in York, PA

A what should I say: Great minds think alike. Hihihi. Oh shit maybe I fail to be modest here. O well whatever nevermind.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    i dont agree at all i think the album V was pretty good something new not there best work but some great songs overcome is one of there best songs and birds of prey was great had some rocking songs i dont agree with you people when you say live got boring

Overcome is great.. I will give you that... amd like I said, Birds of Pray ain't bad...