Options

Does anyone outside the U.S. like Dave Matthews Band?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Just curious. I have a feeling they don't get much exposure overseas, or if so they're just not very popular.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I am in Canada and I can tell you there are fans of DMB here. I am certainly not one of them however.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Okay, how about you Europe? Where you at?!
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    gabers wrote:
    Just curious. I have a feeling they don't get much exposure overseas, or if so they're just not very popular.

They just aren't good enough. I know them a little bit, but in Holland they never get airplay.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    gabers wrote:
    Okay, how about you Europe? Where you at?!

yay i can respond to that..nobody asks anything abt asia ever..psshhh
    im into dmb..solid band..dave is a respectable musician and songwriter..they dont deserve the amount of stick they get here
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Not at all big in the UK. I am aware of them but I couldn't name a song or even recognise them if they came on the radio
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    #105#105 Posts: 5
    yes D.M.B. is popular in canuckland
    morning
  • Options
    It's kind of like that Robbie dude in the UK. Nobody knows who he is here but he's apparently been knighted over there.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I'd never heard of him before I came on this board.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    gabers wrote:
    It's kind of like that Robbie dude in the UK. Nobody knows who he is here but he's apparently been knighted over there.
    Yeah he really is the biggest guy in pop here. I heard a story that he went out with an american girl then took her home. He went off somewhere and she popped in a dvd - Him at Knebworth in front of 300,000 people. needless to say she was a little freaked out, never having heard of him.

Ps he is utter shite :D shallow, vapid pop-drivel
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Phyuck YuPhyuck Yu Posts: 12
    Oh yeah, i know lots of DMB fans...
    "If God takes life, he's an Indian giver"
  • Options
    PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    MCG wrote:
    I am in Canada and I can tell you there are fans of DMB here. I am certainly not one of them however.
    What he said.
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I'm not a big fan either, but I still really like his "Crash" album. Other than that, I find everything else he's done to be incredibly boring and not really worth my time. The guy is definitely talented though, I'll give him that.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    down here in south america they have a cult following. (and no love on the radio)

but they played @ rock in rio 3 in 2001 in the same night with sheryl crow and neil young and there were like 150.000+ people that night so i assume some of them were dmb fans.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    really a big hit in Chicago. when you're hit by a bucket of feces and urine under a bridge I hear.
  • Options
    dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
    They are not big here, i dont think they chart at all... but i know people who like them in Melbourne... they are a U.S band and i've heard people are very surprised when they find out they are almost unknown here in Australia.

Anyway i liked them a couple years ago... Listener Supported was a kick arse album but their album with American baby sucked majorly... wasted talent of that awesome Carter!!
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I've got a few DMB cds, and I live in the UK. Not sure exactly how I came to hear the music. Is it true that DMB are the choice band for jocks in America?! To me they aren't really all that accessible, so I would be quite surprised.
  • Options
    dan_alivedan_alive Posts: 123
    I've got a few DMB cds, and I live in the UK. Not sure exactly how I came to hear the music. Is it true that DMB are the choice band for jocks in America?! To me they aren't really all that accessible, so I would be quite surprised.

facepollution, that's what i heard too... they are hugely popular with college kids too
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
  • Options
    DMB aren't very popular in Southern Ontario: Toronto, Hamilton, London, Windsor Kitchener etc... they have some good songs, but get no play on 102.1 the edge and really only have a cult following.
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • Options
    TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    I'm from New Zealand and have been listening to them since 1996. They are not very well known here, the Busted Stuff album wasn't even released here
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    They used to be a big college band. It just so happened that "jocks" got into them too. I don't know about now. The "jocks" used to also get into Pearl Jam back in the day. It was very easy for them to throw on a flannel shirt and wear their hat backwards and voila! Grunger! I saw DMB while I was in college for the first time in around '96. I wasn't really into them up until that point, but their live show changed my mind. And there were really all types their. Young high schoolers, college kids, couples, whatever. There were two 50-ish former Dead Head type gals in front of me dancing during the whole concert. They really are fun to see live. The group is full of outstanding musicians.
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    gabers wrote:
    Up here in Canada I luv em!