Options

Most overrated song in popular music since 1955

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Is there any song that you often hear referred to as epoch-shattering, superlative and all-encompassing but which you don't "get"? A song that's supposed to sum up the whole mood of an era, of a people but doesn't speak to you much, if at all?

Do tell.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Here comes the Smells Like Teen Spirit bashing... I can smell it
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Kraven wrote:
    Here comes the Smells Like Teen Spirit bashing... I can smell it

Haha, I was fraught between Stairway To Heaven and Wonderwall, but now you come to mention it....
  • Options
    sweet home alabama....never liked that song
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    sweet home alabama....never liked that song
    I hope Neil Young will remember
    how much better Powderfinger was than that shit song.
    Good call.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    dyaogirldyaogirl Posts: 138
    Cause this is thrillahhhhh, thrillahhhhh nighttttttttt
    There ain't no second chance against the theeeeeeng with forty eyessssssss
    You know it's thrillahhhh, thrillahhhhh nighttttttttt
    You're fighting for your life inside a keeeellahhh, thrillahhhh tonightttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stills scares meee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    '..... Ah! A perfect illustration of the poststructuralist paradox. Does the signifier "Merlot" correspond with the 'truth' of the bottle I polished off last night, or do we hold in our thoughts a different "signified" of bottle-of-Merlot-ness? Perhaps we're dreaming of the same bottle!" -FinsburyParkCarrots

• Options
    dyaogirl wrote:

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stills scares meee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always thought Crosby and Nash were scarier! ;):D
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I never thought of Sweet Home Alabama, I concur! I hate that song...
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    Not really groundbreaking or anything, but I never understood all the love for that Don McLean song "American Pie". I really can't stand it.
  • Options
    I love the Rolling Stones, but I gotta go with Satisfaction.....I know it is sometimes called the greatest rock song of all time, but it just doesn't do it for me.
    "Poopship
    Poopship destroyer
    On the poopship
    Poopship destroyer"
  • Options
    ms11781 wrote:
    Not really groundbreaking or anything, but I never understood all the love for that Don McLean song "American Pie". I really can't stand it.
    He wrote that song in a booth in a restaurant in Saratoga, NY. There's a little plaque in the booth today...
    yeah, never really liked that one either.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    He wrote that song in a booth in a restaurant in Saratoga, NY. There's a little plaque in the booth today...
    yeah, never really liked that one either.

I read somewhere about a guy who got a break supporting Don Maclean at some gig. The guy came onstage, and, er, played American Pie. Kinda disappeared after that. Fast. You live and learn, I guess....
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    St-St-St-Stairway
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I love the Rolling Stones, but I gotta go with Satisfaction.....I know it is sometimes called the greatest rock song of all time, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I concur. I think it is an awful song. But then again, I think the Stones are the most overrated band of the last fifty years, so. . .
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    How about a band in general not just 1 song. Like the doors never could get what was so earth shattering and special about their music.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    ms11781 wrote:

I think it's an incredibly well written song, to fit that many pop culture references into a song is pretty impressive in my eyes. And to me it's like a little snap shot of the time it was written......

A couple of songs that are really famous and have been for ages here in the UK are Wonderwall by Oasis, and Angels by Robbie Williams - both make me want to stick red hot pokers in my ears, I genuinely don't get what people see in them.
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    ice ice baby by vanilla ice somesuch nonsense
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    olderman wrote:
    ice ice baby by vanilla ice somesuch nonsense

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone even rates that song though, let alone overrates it......
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I definitely prefer the Eagles of Death Metal if I'm gonna listen to anything with "Eagles" in it.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I can see why American Pie is such a popular song though, it's very Hey Jude-esque in that it's easy to sing along with and can get a whole room into it. Not that I like it 1/100,000th as much as I like Hey Jude, but I understand it.

Many Eagles songs on the other hand...

Yeah Hotel California has a pretty cool solo in it, but it's just such a boring song. Let alone Desperado and Tequila Sunrise and New Kid In Town (or whatever it's called). Blech.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Bon Jovi..............
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    I can see why American Pie is such a popular song though, it's very Hey Jude-esque in that it's easy to sing along with and can get a whole room into it. Not that I like is 1/100,000th as much as I like Hey Jude, but I understand it.

Yeah Hotel California has a pretty cool solo in it, but it's just such a boring song. Let alone Desperado and Tequila Sunrise and New Kid In Town (or whatever it's called). Blech.

Sorry to say it, but I think Hey Jude could be THE most overrated song ever, yeah it may have the sing-a-long quality to it, but it's also an incredibly boring song both musically and lyrically, American Pie at least has plenty of detail in the lyrics.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Sorry to say it, but I think Hey Jude could be THE most overrated song ever, yeah it may have the sing-a-long quality to it, but it's also an incredibly boring song both musically and lyrically, American Pie at least has plenty of detail in the lyrics.

Hey Jude boring lyrically? Do you know what it is even about?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    BinFrog wrote:
    I can see why American Pie is such a popular song though, it's very Hey Jude-esque in that it's easy to sing along with and can get a whole room into it. Not that I like it 1/100,000th as much as I like Hey Jude, but I understand it.

I completely agree with you on the Eagles too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Not that I'd nominate Imagine, but I'm surprised it hasn't been nominated here. It's one of the great sacred cows of popular music that's given almost holy reverence and deference. Is it a visionary prayer, or a cynical and vacuous cash in on fading hippie platitudes at the start of the seventies?
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Hey Jude boring lyrically? Do you know what it is even about?

Didn't McCartney write it for Lennon's son? Yeah sorry, I don't find it that interesting, and the song drones on, and on, and on.....
  • Options
    dyaogirldyaogirl Posts: 138
    Not that I'd nominate Imagine, but I'm surprised it hasn't been nominated here. It's one of the great sacred cows of popular music that's given almost holy reverence and deference. Is it a visionary prayer, or a cynical and vacuous cash in on fading hippie platitudes at the start of the seventies?

Certainly in my mind a pure and brilliantly simple visionary prayer. :)
    '..... Ah! A perfect illustration of the poststructuralist paradox. Does the signifier "Merlot" correspond with the 'truth' of the bottle I polished off last night, or do we hold in our thoughts a different "signified" of bottle-of-Merlot-ness? Perhaps we're dreaming of the same bottle!" -FinsburyParkCarrots

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    what year was Elvis's Hound Dog? does it make the cut? If not I think Heartbreak Hotel sneaks in there.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    ms11781 wrote:

i agree. not that it's bad, it's just kind of a boring song i think. i dont understand why it gets as much hype as it does.

i also kinda agree with sweet home alabama. a good song and i like it, but it's by no means a stroke of genius.
  • Options
    bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
  • Options
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Post rehab Aerosmith.

HA HA! I always think of latter day Aerosmith as a fun time band, nothing more, nothing less....