Options

So what the hell is fashionable these days, anyway?

MOKELE MBEMBEMOKELE MBEMBE Posts: 53
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Am I that out of touch or is popular music dead and burried? It certainly seems that way. Nothing underground, nothing above ground. Critics reviewing nothing. WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON?! Where's my music? What's today's sound? There was psychedelic, punk, rap, now what?

I'm listening to Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces. It's from the 60's.
Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Whats popular right now are all these so called "punk" bands even though there not even close to being punk. Kids are so stupid these days. They can't tell left from right.
  • Options
    I was reading a mag the other day and there was a thing that said there could be "a new punk movement going on" or something like that. They listed some of the bands that are a part of the "punk" thing. I can't remember most of the bands listed, but My Chemical Romance was one of them. *rolls eyes*
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • Options
    Punk was a fraud to begin with.
    Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    there is quite a burgeoning independant (by which I mean little to no radio play on the major stations)music scene these days, it just isn't really being advertised, that I can see.

if you want reviews, there are any number of music review sites that update fairly regularily, such as Stylus, Pitchfork, Popmatters, and TinyMixtapes.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    ... you're not hip to EMO, man?

C'mon!
    What's WRONG with you !?!

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    rigneyclan wrote:
    I was reading a mag the other day and there was a thing that said there could be "a new punk movement going on" or something like that. They listed some of the bands that are a part of the "punk" thing. I can't remember most of the bands listed, but My Chemical Romance was one of them. *rolls eyes*

I think what you are referring to is what is often labeled as post-punk. There are a number of good bands in this "genre," including Thrice and Thursday. My Chemical Romance is also included in the genre. They are bands which incorporate elements of punk (especially the drum beats), but whose sound and perspective just doesn't match up with classic punk acts. Theoretically, a number of the "EMO" acts could also fall under this umbrella, and frankly, I think post-punk is a much better name for them.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    guys you are going to have to clarify what type of emo you are talking about because there is honestly a lot of really good emo out there, and there has been about 3 incarnations of it.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Echoes wrote:
    guys you are going to have to clarify what type of emo you are talking about because there is honestly a lot of really good emo out there, and there has been about 3 incarnations of it.

Agreed. That's why I hate the fricking label. It means too many things to too many different people. It is for all intensive purposes meaningless.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    there is a great scene underground with a few really good bands, check out umphreys mcgee, sound tribe sector 9, and the disco biscuits. go to a show and you won't be dissapointed.
    8-23-00, 8-24-00, 8-25-00, 11/14/02(letterman), 4-30-03, 6-6-03, 7-6-03, 7-8-03, 7-9-03, 7-12-03, 7-14-03, 9-28-04, 9-29-04. 10-1-04, 3-18-05 (northwest school), 9-2-05, 9-4-05, 9-15-05, 9-16-05, 9-30-05, 10-1-05
  • Options
    DigMeOut wrote:
    there is a great scene underground with a few really good bands, check out umphreys mcgee, sound tribe sector 9, and the disco biscuits. go to a show and you won't be dissapointed.

Yep, the jam band scene is pretty lively right now, or has been for a while. Anyway, if you're into that sort of stuff, there are some great bands out there. May I add Tea Leaf Green to that list? ;)
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    heroin is the new cocaine.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    there is quite a burgeoning independant (by which I mean little to no radio play on the major stations)music scene these days, it just isn't really being advertised, that I can see.

if you want reviews, there are any number of music review sites that update fairly regularily, such as Stylus, Pitchfork, Popmatters, and TinyMixtapes.

You hit it on the nose work at my college radio station and indie music is really being focued on right now. From Arcade Fire to Youth Group, indie bands are really what *most* people my age are into. Also lots of 80's bands like the Cure and Joy Division seem to be experiencing a revival. Ohh and the Big Takeover is another great magazine to pick up and read great articles on new bands by people who really care abou music.
    I attack with love, pure bug beauty, curl my lips and crawl up to you.
  • Options
    Also lots of 80's bands like the Cure and Joy Division seem to be experiencing a revival. .

the thought of a depresso-synth-rock-revival is so inspiring.

:(

(not to slant either of the bands mentioned)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    You hit it on the nose work at my college radio station and indie music is really being focued on right now. From Arcade Fire to Youth Group, indie bands are really what *most* people my age are into. Also lots of 80's bands like the Cure and Joy Division seem to be experiencing a revival. Ohh and the Big Takeover is another great magazine to pick up and read great articles on new bands by people who really care abou music.

yeah, in order for your musical opinions to be taken seriously in most high schools and colleges you need to at least respect the music of the "indie" genre. most notably...arcade fire, death cab for cutie, modest mouse, maybe franz ferdinand, sufjan stevens, etc.
  • Options
    the word 'indie' is as pointless as 'emo' in terms of genre. Especially when these 'indie' bands sign to major labels and they're still called indie. When I was a kid (and it wasn't that long ago), indie meant you were on an independnet label: nothing more, nothing less.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.