Options

Interesting fact on Tool's Lateralus

murph83murph83 Posts: 122
edited March 2006 in Other Music
sorry if this is old news and every tool fan is aware of it, but I just found out about it and was completely blown away. Proof that this album is brilliant!

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/question/insight7.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,860
    Haha, who said Tool fans are pretentious?
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    Ummmm...get out much? :p

haha, this just shows how boring my job is.
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    wow...i looked at that lump of words and it hurt my eyes, then i read all of it and it hurt my brain. nonetheless, i am intruiged, and i might actually try this!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Well I think that is pretty cool. I've never heard of this. I would be interested in listening to it that way. But I was confused at the end. Can't I just make a playlist on my pod ordering the songs like dude said?
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    That was too painful to read. Not the words, but the page setup. White on black just isn't working and gave me a headache.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Well I think that is pretty cool. I've never heard of this. I would be interested in listening to it that way. But I was confused at the end. Can't I just make a playlist on my pod ordering the songs like dude said?

i'm pretty sure you can. but i think you need to edit it and lose the gap between the songs to get the full effect, but i'm sure if ya don't you will still get the idea.
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    adam42381 wrote:
    That was too painful to read. Not the words, but the page setup. White on black just isn't working and gave me a headache.

Copy and Paste my friend, I printed it out and took it to the shitter.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    something to add to the idea of the fibonacci sequence...

in the title track, lateralus, the syllables of the lyrics go with the sequence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8...

black - 1
    then -1
    white are - 2
    all i see -3
    in my in-fan-cy -5
    red and yell-ow then came to be - 8
    reach-ing out to me -5
    lets me see -3
    there is - 2
    so -1
    much -1
    more that -2
    beck-ons me - 3
    to look thru to these - 5
    in-fin-ate poss-i-bil-it-ies -8
    as below..... - 13
    etc.

and it appears other places in the song. and I also read that dannys drum beats follow it somehow as well.

yes, i have very boring days at work
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Man this was posted like 3 years ago. As cool as it is, half the album still sounds the same and can't touch Aenima.

Also Tool fans are pretty much my least favourite ever, but that is another story alltogether
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Did you know that if you take the differential equations that describe the acceleration of Daney Carey's drum sticks on the 6th song of every album and then integrate them from 46 to 2, you find out that John Lennon actually shot JFK at Area 51?
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Echoes wrote:
    Man this was posted like 3 years ago. As cool as it is, half the album still sounds the same and can't touch Aenima.

Also Tool fans are pretty much my least favourite ever, but that is another story alltogether

I lost a ton of respect for Tool fans when I expreienced them booing King Crimson. What a bunch of doorknob-humping retards. :(

Same as the fucksticks that booed Sonic Youth when they were opening for Pearl Jam. Knuckle-dragging trogdolytes
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    They love 'progressive' bands like Tool but boo King Crimson, eh?

Morons.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Why didn't they just sequence it that way and be done with it then?! This is my one and only gripe with Tool that stops me loving them as much as some other bands, as cool as the music sounds, it's so focussed on technical precison that it sometimes eschews human emotion. Don't know if anyone else gets what I'm saying? It just seems like it sometimes lacks a human heart beat - I heard the same thing said about NIN and Filter before.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    enharmonic wrote:
    I lost a ton of respect for Tool fans when I expreienced them booing King Crimson. What a bunch of doorknob-humping retards. :(

Same as the fucksticks that booed Sonic Youth when they were opening for Pearl Jam. Knuckle-dragging trogdolytes
    Anybody who boos King Crimson deserves to be called nasty names......the same goes for the belly-achers who bitch about Sleater-Kinney.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,789
    it was too much to read. Tool doesn't do it for me.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    PJammin' wrote:
    it was too much to read. Tool doesn't do it for me.

it is a lot to read, for anyone else who thinks that, to makes a long article short, play the album in this sequence:

6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10 .....and it flows a lot better, or the ending of each track will match the intro of the next nicer.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Another reason why I love Tool!! New album's gonna KICK ASS!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    murph83 wrote:
    it is a lot to read, for anyone else who thinks that, to makes a long article short, play the album in this sequence:

6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10 .....and it flows a lot better, or the ending of each track will match the intro of the next nicer.

Wow thats some crazy stuff.
    Out of curiosity are there any other albums done like this?
    "She gave her love away, put it in my pocket when it should of been framed"
  • Options
    I was always felt that there was something more with Lateralus but I could never put my finger on it. This is pretty cool.
    Oh yeah, anyone know the latest on the new Tool album?
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    TOOL have a satanic reputation?
    i'm soooo glad i only pay attention to the music.
    oh please, the thing about the fibonacci sequence is old news. and dare i say probably bullshit.
    people try to make so much out of TOOL it's gotten nauseous. it's not as if you can ask the band cause they'll string you along just to get a laugh at your expense.

just listen to the music. don't try to get any meaning out of it, cause there probably isn't any. it's just good music.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Here is another Tool theory. How many people think they named their band Tool, just so they could laugh at all the people that wear their shirts around. It seems like their sense of humor.
  • Options
    MoondemonMoondemon Posts: 93
    I heard that the new Tool album will be far more agressive thant Lateralus was... To me, that is good news !
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Here is another Tool theory. How many people think they named their band Tool, just so they could laugh at all the people that wear their shirts around. It seems like their sense of humor.

i think that everytime i wear my TOOL shirt.
    yes i am a tool. it's like an admission of some sorts.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    I was always felt that there was something more with Lateralus but I could never put my finger on it. This is pretty cool.
    Oh yeah, anyone know the latest on the new Tool album?

Release May 2nd, title is 10,000 Days.

Album art and track listing available here: http://www.toolband.com
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Songburst wrote:
    Did you know that if you take the differential equations that describe the acceleration of Daney Carey's drum sticks on the 6th song of every album and then integrate them from 46 to 2, you find out that John Lennon actually shot JFK at Area 51?
    heh I laughed out loud at this. nice post :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    heh I laughed out loud at this. nice post :D

Well thank you. But I didn't indicate what to integrate with respect to. Now my old profs are going to beat me.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    Eraserhead wrote:
    Haha, who said Tool fans are pretentious?

a little pretension never hurt anyone!!!! just look at led zeppelin, radiohead and pink floyd!!!
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Songburst wrote:
    Well thank you. But I didn't indicate what to integrate with respect to. Now my old profs are going to beat me.
    hell I'm the only one in my Physics class who doesn't take maths and when he went on about integration with regards to advanced mechanics I was totally lost so you ain't the only one!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"