Options

rick rubin producing new metallica album

pearl jam rulespearl jam rules Posts: 129
edited February 2006 in Other Music
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002035228

this is pretty interesting. i still think it'll suck. but it's interesting
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    They've been out of good ideas since the Black Album.
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited over this. With Rob Trujillo and Rick Rubin in the mix we can see a real metal album hopefully.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    yeh read this last Thursday..Rick is definitely the best thing to happen to MetallicA in a long time.
    lets hope this works :)
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    I can't think of anything sucky that Rick Rubin had his hand in. He is truly a brilliant man.

Take care,
    Waitman
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Rick Rubin is a genius! But realistically, any new Metallica album had damn well be better than St. Anger (what a catastrophe).
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    I'm pretty excited over this. With Rob Trujillo and Rick Rubin in the mix we can see a real metal album hopefully.

yeah, because trujillo is so amazing!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    Will we finally get them back???? This is probably the best move Metallica has made in a long time (along with hiring Trujillo). But what troubles me is reading that Rubin is also involved in the new Justin Timberlake and new Linkin Park albums...
    I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I think this is the best choice Metallica made in the last 15 years. I hope Rick Rubin helps Metallica in good shape, because i've got 2 tickets for Metallica in Gelredome Arnhem on 8 june of this year.
  • Options
    you know, part of the reason this is very interesting is because metallica hasn't used a producer other than bob rock since the black album, correct? and the albums since the black album have gotten progressively worse. i know a lot of huge metallica fans who think he's partly responsible for their demise

so i don't know, maybe rick rubin will be able to tell them that something sucks if it sucks
  • Options

i'm excited too. no more bob rock! this should be a good collaboration.
  • Options
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    They've been out of good ideas since the Black Album.
    true, with every album, they just get worse
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    producer I don't care for + band I don't like much anymore = thumbs down
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    I like Load and reload they are my fav metallica albums
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Rick Rubin has also chosen to produce the new Neil Diamond album... they're trying to do a Johnny Cash on him! Go Rick though, at least he's not picky!!!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    prljam85 wrote:
    true, with every album, they just get worse

i thought St Anger was an improvement on the Load/Reload albums personally.

"place arse above the fire, and waits to feel the flames"
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    i thought St Anger was an improvement on the Load/Reload albums personally.

"place arse above the fire, and waits to feel the flames"

i liked a few tunes on each of these albums. when you have metal masterpieces in your library, it's difficult to live up to that kind of pressure. songs like bleeding me, hero of the day, king nothing, the memory remains and low man's lyric are some really good tunes that i liked on load and reload. i don't think they live up to kill 'em all or puppets, obviously, but i don't think they are the trash people make them out to be. i think bob rock was a big problem when it came to getting a solid cover to cover album together.

songs like frantic, st. anger, sweet amber, and some kind of monster were pretty solid tunes too, i thought...but again not a cover to cover masterpiece by any means. at the very least st. anger was an attempt to experiment with a new, heavier and dirtier sound that load and reload didn't have.
  • Options
    i thought Load was pretty good..Re-Load was average and St Anger have some nice moments.
    "The Unnamed Feeling" is one of me fave songs ever.
    i think if any other band released Load and St Anger..it would have gotten better reviews...people expect too much from MetallicA
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    got to agree with you on the expectations Axl, and yeah i dont hate Load or Reload, songs like Hero of the Day, King Nothing and The Memory Remains are great live and on the cd, but as albums go i prefer St Angeras a whole.

As for the expectations, its kind of similar with Pearl Jam and how a lot of people say Riot Act and Binaural dont live up to the earlier work, people are hoiping for a No Code with every release.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    with Rick Rubin producing...i think there's gonna be a huge expectation as well cos that guy can apparently do no wrong
    i like the fact that MetallicA experimented although it wasn't as successful as we'd like.
    whatever said..noone can take away the fact that MetallicA are one of the greatest live bands that ever existed.

YNWA
  • Options
    in agreement over here reeferchief and axl.
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    with Rick Rubin producing...i think there's gonna be a huge expectation as well cos that guy can apparently do no wrong
    i like the fact that MetallicA experimented although it wasn't as successful as we'd like.
    whatever said..noone can take away the fact that MetallicA are one of the greatest live bands that ever existed.

without a doubt, one of the best live...

"searchin'....what is it?!?!...seek & destroy!!!"
  • Options
    St Anger would have been alot better if they made the tracks shorter.
    alot of the tracks have uneccessary repeated riffs and verses.
    the song St Anger itself should have just been a 4 minute track.
    without a doubt, one of the best live...

"searchin'....what is it?!?!...seek & destroy!!!"
    i miss touring bands...younger bands should try and follow MetallicA and tour non stop til they really have nothing left
    they dont even have a new album out yet they are touring this year..that's one thing i love aboot metal bands

YNWA