Options

matt mayes el torpedo

present_tensepresent_tense Posts: 121
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Hey, anyone looking for a new band to check out, get this cd now!! Its just a bunch of really nice beautiful songs that feel very nostalgic, and perfect for long road trips thru the prairies on a hot sunny mid-august day. The music is a neat cross between neil young, tom petty and crosby stills and nash. Tre-cool.
the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    agreed! :) matt mays & el torpedo took home a bunch of ECMA's the other night, and they're well deserved. i keep saying this in a lot of threads, but these guys are some of the nicest guys you'll ever want to meet. incredible live shows and genuinely interested in just playing music. matt's a huge neil fan, so that's where the neil sound and influence comes from. the debut cd was great too...a little bit more on the mellow side, but some great tunes. all great road trippin' music as present tense said.

do as present tense says, and check out matt mays & el torpedo...you won't be disappointed :)
  • Options
    http://www.mattmays.com/

...the current sample single is "time of your life (til you're dead)"...a new version not on the cd...
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Are they the ones who do Cocaine cowgirl? one of my mates sent me that song, I remember quite liking it, I should have a dig around on my pc and see if it's still there.
  • Options
    Are they the ones who do Cocaine cowgirl? one of my mates sent me that song, I remember quite liking it, I should have a dig around on my pc and see if it's still there.

yep, same band :)
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm liking what I hear on the website, dammit yet another cd I want! Cheers for the heads up though.
  • Options
    edigerediger Posts: 308
    Matt Mayes is awesome. His live shows are just great.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    they rocked the hell out of me live. damn near upstaged the headlining blue rodeo. quite impressed, i am, to say the least.
  • Options
    uninnocent wrote:
    they rocked the hell out of me live. damn near upstaged the headlining blue rodeo. quite impressed, i am, to say the least.

i'm not surprised to hear that, although i do like blue rodeo. these guys just really enjoy playing music and giving the crowd a rockin time. they usually end the show with "time of your life" and there's about four of them on guitar just wailing away...always works the crowd into a frenzy! :D
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Definitley one of the best up and coming bands in Canada. Great songs, great lyrics, and just an all around great vibe. Check 'em out, you won't be disappointed. Matt's first album is pretty damn good as well, featuring one of my favorite songs, "City of Lakes".
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Definitley one of the best up and coming bands in Canada. Great songs, great lyrics, and just an all around great vibe. Check 'em out, you won't be disappointed. Matt's first album is pretty damn good as well, featuring one of my favorite songs, "City of Lakes".

the tune that made dartmouth famous direwolf! :) and you're right, the first album is like a mellow prelude to this one...definitely a great debut.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    are they really that good? That cocaine cowgirl song reminded me of bon jovi..and no, that's not a good thing
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    are they really that good? That cocaine cowgirl song reminded me of bon jovi..and no, that's not a good thing

sorry, can't say i hear anything that resembles bon jovi there...:)
  • Options
    bon jovi? were u on shrooms at the time?
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
  • Options
    bon jovi? were u on shrooms at the time?

"mushroom cowgirl" doesn't quite have the same ring to it...:D
  • Options
    new video should be making the rounds on much soon...:)
  • Options
    I love this band, both albums rock. I'm hoping that the Black Crowes will have them open for them in the states too. I'd love to check them out live.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Gallant88Gallant88 Posts: 58
    uninnocent wrote:
    Yeah I saw them with Blue Rodeo last too.. they were awesome.
    September 22, 2005 - Halifax.. ahhh
  • Options
    I love this band, both albums rock. I'm hoping that the Black Crowes will have them open for them in the states too. I'd love to check them out live.

matt and the boys would have a blast doing that ! let's hope you get to see them, the live show is rockin' !
  • Options
    I'm pumped to check them out at The Black Crowe's show in Toronto!!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    wow awesome that the band is mentioned around here!

& them opening for the black crowes ???!! sweeeeet

i caught em in charlottetown a few years ago, great great live band
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06