Options

Shinedown

lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I can't explain this ...but they're new single "Save me" hooked me in immediately..

(check out the video on: http://www.shinedown.com)

This band is a cross between "3 Doors Down", "Soundgarden" and "Lynyrd Skynyrd" with a little bit of "Staind" thrown in...

Typical of me .. I only like about 50% of the songs on each of their two CD's but made a great CD mix of both..

The combo is riveting hard rock that's got me playing them non-stop..

Visually, the band looks alot like the ficticious band on Almost Famous..
The singer has major vocal pipes and provides alot of alternative accoustic versions of their songs on the CD's as bonus tracks...

The guitarist apparently married Ronnie Van Zant's daughter and is close to the Van Zant family (deceased lead singer for Skynyrd)

Lot's of Skynyrd sound in is his guitar but defintely not a "southern rock" music sound..
they even do a great cover of "Simple Man"

My favorites of both CD's are follows:

Heroes (Us and Them CD) friggin great car crank song!
Atmosphere (Us and Them - best song the whole band ever played IMO)
Burning Bright (regualr version)
Save Me (Us and Them)
45 (accoustic)
Fake (Us and Them)
Simple Man (Skynyrd cover -accoustic)

anyone else chekced them out?
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=155148&highlight=shinedown

Ya man I started a thread on this as soon as I heard Save Me too :)

It rocks!!!

Check this thread out too, there's some links to some wicked videos.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=155148&highlight=shinedown

Ya man I started a thread on this as soon as I heard Save Me too :)

It rocks!!!

Check this thread out too, there's some links to some wicked videos.

seems like sone flamers had nothing better to do..
    I consider myself pretty jaded when it comes to giving props to new bands and this one got under my skin..

I would love to see them live..
    and I totaly agree about your comments rerding Brett being an amazing vocalist and Jason shredding a mean guitar!

Peace my brother!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    Awsome band..they remind me of Candlebox, who I loved back in the day!! Kick myself every f*ckin' time I hear them on the radio, because just a couple of years ago they played at a theater just 10 mins from my house, why I didn't go I have no clue...WTF!! But I must say everytime I hear "Simple Man"...it brings me to tears...beautifully done!! ;)
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    locked wrote:
    I would love to see them live..

Prepare to have the singer aurally masturbate in front of your eyes. I can't ever recall seeing a band whose singer loves the sound of his own voice as much as this guy does.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    yeah, i got their cd for my birthday in october and thought it was pretty good. ive been looking for their first cd everywhere (the one with simple man) but no major chains seem to have it. might have to look into an independant store
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    I can't explain this ...but they're new single "Save me" hooked me in immediately..

(check out the video on: http://www.shinedown.com)

This band is a cross between "3 Doors Down", "Soundgarden" and "Lynyrd Skynyrd" with a little bit of "Staind" thrown in...

Typical of me .. I only like about 50% of the songs on each of their two CD's but made a great CD mix of both..

The combo is riveting hard rock that's got me playing them non-stop..

Visually, the band looks alot like the ficticious band on Almost Famous..
    The singer has major vocal pipes and provides alot of alternative accoustic versions of their songs on the CD's as bonus tracks...

The guitarist apparently married Ronnie Van Zant's daughter and is close to the Van Zant family (deceased lead singer for Skynyrd)

Lot's of Skynyrd sound in is his guitar but defintely not a "southern rock" music sound..
    they even do a great cover of "Simple Man"

My favorites of both CD's are follows:

Heroes (Us and Them CD) friggin great car crank song!
    Atmosphere (Us and Them - best song the whole band ever played IMO)
    Burning Bright (regualr version)
    Save Me (Us and Them)
    45 (accoustic)
    Fake (Us and Them)
    Simple Man (Skynyrd cover -accoustic)

anyone else chekced them out?
    saw them last nite on the sno core tour at the starland ballroom. thought they kicked ass, actually were better than seether. ive been singing "save you" and "i dare you" to myself all day. ive seen seether in the past but they were not as good this time as the other 2 times i saw him, it seemed like there whole band was half in the bag, they were drinkin on stage, although they did a cool cover of heart shaped box, and a few snippets of walk by pantera and smoke on the water. the other two opening bands were also both pretty good, both had female lead singers who had pipes. halestorm and fly leaf were there names. halestorm's singer came out and sung "broken" with seether. good show, my ears are still ringing as we speak

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

• Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    AndySlash wrote:
    Prepare to have the singer aurally masturbate in front of your eyes. I can't ever recall seeing a band whose singer loves the sound of his own voice as much as this guy does.

I couldn't agree more. I saw them for free in December and was pretty excited about it. I went out and bought Us and Them....after seeing them live I lost almost all interest in them. The singer just wouldn't stop talking. After every song he just goes on and on and on. By the time they went to do their encore, honestly about 75% of the place had cleared out.
  • Options
    stpmattb wrote:
    I couldn't agree more. I saw them for free in December and was pretty excited about it. I went out and bought Us and Them....after seeing them live I lost almost all interest in them. The singer just wouldn't stop talking. After every song he just goes on and on and on. By the time they went to do their encore, honestly about 75% of the place had cleared out.
    he didnt talk that much last night. what was he talking about?? he DID do this thing that almost caused a riot he told everyone on the floor where i was to spread out and make a path in the middle of the floor. then he said he wanted everyone to switch sides. i of course used it as an oppurtunity to get right up front, cause i was a little far back. . .

• Options
    saw them last nite on the sno core tour at the starland ballroom. thought they kicked ass, actually were better than seether. ive been singing "save you" and "i dare you" to myself all day. ive seen seether in the past but they were not as good this time as the other 2 times i saw him, it seemed like there whole band was half in the bag, they were drinkin on stage, although they did a cool cover of heart shaped box, and a few snippets of walk by pantera and smoke on the water. the other two opening bands were also both pretty good, both had female lead singers who had pipes. halestorm and fly leaf were there names. halestorm's singer came out and sung "broken" with seether. good show, my ears are still ringing as we speak

Thanks for the review!
    any chance you recall the setlist for Shinedown?

I'll admit there are songs like "45" where the singer seems a bit too taken with himself but then there are cuts like 'Hereos" "Atmosphere" and "Fake" where the band is hitting on all cylionders and is in the midst of pure "70"s rock nirvana!"...
    conflicting for me...

Can anyone here say that "hereos" and "atmosphere" of of "Us and Them" are not stellar songs???
    I'd like a consession on my pointb that there are some solid gems among the lesser songs..
    It seems when the band is playing as a whole rather than just relying on vocal histrionics, the really click..

my two cents..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    I only have the first record, but I think it's pretty good, the singer sings with the same intensity that Ed did when Ten came out (I'm not saying he is as good as Ed before people go mad!), but the tone of his voice is different.

Shinedown for me are one of the better nu-grunge bands, they have a lot of passion for what they do, and whilst they do sound derivative, they do that sound far better than the likes of Nickelback and 3 Doors Down. Anyone into Shinedown should check out Alter Bridge - yes I know we should all hate them cause three members used to be in Creed, but the new singer they have is awesome, with a range that could challenge Cornell and Buckley. Check out the songs Find The Real and One Day Remains (i'll yousendit them if anyone wants) some really good solos in there two.
  • Options
    Shinedown is amazing to me and so far my favorite band of the 2000's. He has an amazing voice, who cares if he loves to show it off. It's all about the music and this band is one of the more unique bands out there. They're definately not nu-metal if you listen to their new CD. You haven't listened to Shinedown and what the guitarist is capable of until you've heard Lady So Devine. Jasin, the guitarist, has taken such a huge step from the first to the second album. Brent Smith is also a very passionate singer and the band as a whole have a strong passion for music. That's opposed the Nickelback who have Chad writing music to soley make money.

There's a lot of haters out there but none of their opinions matter to me seeing as most all of them have heard nothing but their singles. Us And Them was my favorite album of last year and it's so entirely different than any of their singles as a whole.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    Thanks for the review!
    any chance you recall the setlist for Shinedown?

I'll admit there are songs like "45" where the singer seems a bit too taken with himself but then there are cuts like 'Hereos" "Atmosphere" and "Fake" where the band is hitting on all cylionders and is in the midst of pure "70"s rock nirvana!"...
    conflicting for me...

Can anyone here say that "hereos" and "atmosphere" of of "Us and Them" are not stellar songs???
    I'd like a consession on my pointb that there are some solid gems among the lesser songs..
    It seems when the band is playing as a whole rather than just relying on vocal histrionics, the really click..

my two cents..
    sorry, with the exception of a couple dont have the titles connected to the songs yet. i have the cd in my cars 10 disc changer, so i guess i gotta listen at home to link'em. i think there second album is alot better than the first, although the first is good

• Options
    I just picked up Us and Them last week. I love it. I can't stop listening to it. I enjoyed their first album too, but Us and Them just rocks.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    he didnt talk that much last night. what was he talking about?? he DID do this thing that almost caused a riot he told everyone on the floor where i was to spread out and make a path in the middle of the floor. then he said he wanted everyone to switch sides. i of course used it as an oppurtunity to get right up front, cause i was a little far back. . .

It just seemed like he was either preaching about what the next song was about or how thankful he was to have fans that care. Honestly, after every song almost he would talk for a good three minutes.

Im all about bands interacting with the crowd, but that dude needs to do a bit less and it would be good.
  • Options
    He must talk a lot every now and then but I know he doesn't do it every time. I love it when he shows off his voice after 45 or Simple Man. The guy has an amazing natural talent and so does the guitarist.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Fury70Fury70 Posts: 4
    I saw Shinedown open for Tantric when they were touring on Leave a Whisper. They were pretty good, not amazing. The new single is a very catchy though. Tantric is more worth your time in my opinion.