Options

Your thoughts on The Cure...

Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I have just recently started to listen to The Cure. Just curious to how everyone perceives them and what you think of their music. I really dont know anything about them besides what is on their website and a quick wikipedia search.
The less you know, the more you believe.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Love the Cure. Lovecats, Love song, Just like heaven, all classics from an awesome band.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Jammin909 wrote:
    I have just recently started to listen to The Cure. Just curious to how everyone perceives them and what you think of their music. I really dont know anything about them besides what is on their website and a quick wikipedia search.

I am an old-timer, and have been listening to the cure since the early 80s.

They were one of the biggest bands of the early 90s.....they played 2 shows at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

There is a compilation of their early work, called "Staring at the Sea"....its a great intro to their old songs, which were much more basic then their later work.

There was a band called LOVE AND ROCKETS who were similar to the Cure....they have an alim called "Express"...I recommend it!
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    LOVE AND ROCKETS

I wore out two copies of their self-titled tape.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I am an old-timer, and have been listening to the cure since the early 80s.

They were one of the biggest bands of the early 90s.....they played 2 shows at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

There is a compilation of their early work, called "Starring at the Sea"....its a great intro to their old songs, which were much more basic then their later work.

There was a band called LOVE AND ROCKETS who were similar to the Cure....they have an alim called "Express"...I recommend it!

Yeah "Staring at the Sea" is the CD that was recommended to me. What is exciting about getting into an older band is that I wont have to wait 4 years to get another album(2002-2006!).
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    Love the Cure.....A Letter to Elise is one of my favorites ever.
    "Poopship
    Poopship destroyer
    On the poopship
    Poopship destroyer"
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I used to think the Cure were really gay but I had never listened to them and arfer reading a cover story in Uncut one day I figured I'd check them out, they're totally rad, my intro was teh singles collection and if you're lucky you can get teh one with acoustic versions of all the songs on disc two.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    Its opening time down on Fascination Street.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    zstillings wrote:
    I wore out two copies of their self-titled tape.

They were a great band....the first time I saw them, an unknown Jane's Addiction opened!

I saw L & R's farewell show at the Roxy in L.A.....they did "Yin and Yang and the Flowerpot" in the encore...great sing!
  • Options
    i always have one of their cds in my car changer. i really love mint car and strange attraction! awesome band!
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I used to think the Cure were really gay but I had never listened to them and arfer reading a cover story in Uncut one day I figured I'd check them out, they're totally rad, my intro was teh singles collection and if you're lucky you can get teh one with acoustic versions of all the songs on disc two.

Gay, as in they liked people of the same sex?
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    My opinions on the Cure?
    Man I could go on like forever, is always hard for me to tell what's my favorite band, but The Cure easily could take that name any day... great lyrics, great music, great attitude and my friend Robert is DA MAN!!!
    I couldn't live without them... seeing them for the first time in 2004 at the three concerts -each one around 3 hours long- really changed me, is hard to explain, after so many years waiting, having Robert and the guys there playing all the classics and a bunch of rarities was some sort of religious experience. They're one of the greatest, through the years I just became disappointed with some of the bands I loved in the 80's (namely u2), but The Cure, they always get it, they never fail to move me, they... well, Robert is a fucking great artist... I'd really like to hear them now that Porl Thompson is back in the group.

That being said, something that not too many people mention is the huge direction change that The Cure took after Robert played with Siouxsie and The Banshees, the great influence that this collaboration had for The Cure's future should be remarked because sadly it seems nowadays Siouxsie and the Banshees are a pretty underrated band.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Gay, as in they liked people of the same sex?

This is funny, 'cause in many interviews Robert has commented how when he played with Siouxsie and the Banshees the guys at the group really liked to go to gay bars and he didn't feel so comfortable with that, even more 'cause the other members accused him of being uptight and lacking punk attitude for having the same girlfriend like since forever... recently he said "now that Siouxsie lives with Budgie on a nice house at France, I guess she's finally happy for finding love" or something like that.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    See my thread below on "One Hundred Years" and their DVD "Trilogy." The CURE rock(s)! :) Robert Smith is a genius.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    The Cure really rock!!! lately i've been listening alot to 'Burn' and of course the 'galore' cd sorry wrong number...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    Listening right now to Charlotte Sometimes from their Black Sessions thing... what a wonderful band is this...
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    i highly recommend the Trilogy DVD, one of the best concerts on disc i have ever seen.
    no son personas, son mujeres
  • Options
    i highly recommend the Trilogy DVD, one of the best concerts on disc i have ever seen.

Yes! :) I agree...it's effin' awesome.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love the cure. i am really in the mood to hear them. join the dots is great too, but i don't have it where i am right now ;(
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    I am also a big Cure fan. I would love to see them in concert! Does anyone have Cure, "Mixed Up"? I think that is a pretty cool mix!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Disintegration Rules!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    rockrock Posts: 51
    Highly recommend Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me...definately on the soundtrack of my mis-spent youth! Ah the memories I used to skip (yes you read right..as in hopping along) home after night out listening to that album on my black and white striped walkman..

Anyways get that album!
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    i love the cure. 'lovesong' is one of the better...ahn...love songs ever!!
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute