Options

Paul Mcartney or John Lennon

melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
edited March 2006 in Other Music
now i know the beatles are just great but i wanna see who ya people think has the better solo stuff lennon or Mcartney there both great but i must say lennon by a bit
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    John Lennon wrote Imagine. Paul McCartney wrote Yesterday.
  • Options
    GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    solo i'd go with lennon all the way. however by the end of the beatles mccartney was writing most of the good stuff. lennon still had some great stuff on the white album and abbey road...across the universe is pretty amazing.

some of my favorite lennon solo songs are:
    instant karma
    imagine
    watching the wheels
    happy x-mas
    mind games
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    ya i know what they wrote with the beatles but i was asking whos solo cds are better
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    john lennon made the wedding album.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    george harrison
    is
    the
    man

but if i had to choose between lennon and mccartney, id go with mccartney..i think lennon is a little overrated as s songwriter.
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    neoneo Posts: 89
    brain of c wrote:
    john lennon made the wedding album.

paul made wild life.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Solo stuff? Well, to be fair, we can only compare their output from 1970 to 1980.

Okay.

1970: John released his primal album, which to me is pretty flawless all the way through. Paul released "McCartney", which is self-indulgent tosh plus rejects from as far back as The White Album. John wins 1-0

1971: John released "Imagine", which though perhaps a little uneven has some superlative tracks such as the title song, as well as "Jealous Guy" and "Gimme Some Truth". Paul released a so-so album in "Ram", which though endearing in some respects, is pretty lightweight. John wins 1-0

1972: John and Yoko released the abomination that is "Some Time in New York City." Paul and Wings released "Wild Life". This is tough. It's like choosing between having your front or your back teeth pulled out by hand. Paul wins 1-0

1973: John was putting a lot of coke up his nose by this time and "Mind Games" is very hit and miss. Paul and Wings released "Red Rose Speedway", which wasn't too shabby; and "Band on the Run", a great, exciting and inventive album. Paul wins 2-0

1974: John released "Walls and Bridges", a very good album since he was out on the piss with Keith Moon and wasn't having to write crap for Yoko at the time. Paul didn't release an album in 1974 (unless you count the US release of "Band on the Run"). Either way, John just shades it on a technicality, at 1-0

1975: John released that "Rock and Roll" album. He's coked to the gills and his voice doesn't work half the time. Paul and Wings released "Venus and Mars", which might have "Rockshow" on it but also has the theme from the dreadful UK television show "Crossroads". Not much in this, but Paul wins 1-0

1976-79: Paul released a load of shite with Wings while John was making bread and watching "Dallas" in his bedroom and Yoko hired astrologers to tell her the weather on Uranus. Pretty much a 0-0 draw.

1980: Paul released "McCartney II" which is underrated and essential listening for lovers of Fungus the Bogeyman by Raymond Briggs. John released "Double Fantasy", damned because half the "songs" are by Yoko. Paul wins 1-0

Result: Paul wins 5-3
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Goatboy wrote:
    solo i'd go with lennon all the way. however by the end of the beatles mccartney was writing most of the good stuff. lennon still had some great stuff on the white album and abbey road...across the universe is pretty amazing.

i always thought george wrote across the universe?

anyway, id go lennon all the way. if you look at the legends disc versus the best of wing/paul solo... lennon has some phenomenal fucking tunes and every song on there is gold. paul had some decent songs but they were mostly uninteresting pop rock crap.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    i always thought george wrote across the universe?

anyway, id go lennon all the way. if you look at the legends disc versus the best of wing/paul solo... lennon has some phenomenal fucking tunes and every song on there is gold. paul had some decent songs but they were mostly uninteresting pop rock crap.

John wrote it. He got up early one morning with the line "Pools of sorrow, waves of joy" going around in his head. Then he wrote the song.

Yes, John undoubtedly makes the better "Best of" compilation. But if ever someone makes a "Worst of, 1970-80" compilation for both, it might be too close to call.