Options

Nirvana & Pj

edited January 2006 in Other Music
nirvana and pearl jam are the greatest bands to ever live!who here agrees.common you gotta admit they f*in ROCK!if kurt hadent killed himself think of what an awsome tour it would had been if the did it 2gether!man that would be awsome!!!!!
~~ONCE a pj fan...~~Always a pj fan~~never let em' down~~~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    nirvana and pearl jam are the greatest bands to ever live!who here agrees.common you gotta admit they f*in ROCK!if kurt hadent killed himself think of what an awsome tour it would had been if the did it 2gether!man that would be awsome!!!!!

I wouldn't sya top two but they're both in my top ten. and you do know the chances of them touring together are about as good now as they were in 93
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    I would have loved to have seen the leg of the blood sugar sex magik tour. Pearl Jam! Nirvana! AND Red hot chili peppers!!! Pity the pumpkins couldnt have been on the same leg and had all 4 bands playing.
  • Options
    Nirvana is definatly not within the top 20 much less in the top 2 best bands.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Well in the reality of it neither is Pearl Jam. The two are certainly the best two bands of the '90s. There are many legendary bands better than the two combined such as The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and maybe the Doors. There could be others but those are the ones that I can think of off of the top of my head.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    PJ were voted the biggest American band ever recently.
    so that speaks for something

But when you have competition by the likes of:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Who
    AC/DC

Its hard to rank them at the top,

but then again it comes to personal opinion in the end :)
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    dont get carried away they are 2 of the greatest but theyre not THE 2 greatest
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Jellyrolls wrote:

I would agree with this. I am a fan of Nirvana and their Unplugged album is one of my favorite albums ever but they are definitely overrated and get too much credit, in my opinion.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    PJ were voted the biggest American band ever recently.
    so that speaks for something

We stuffed the ballots on that i don't know if that counts lol I mean i must have voted 300 times.

As for hte orginal post glad you like both bands man. As you can see the subject of Nirvana generally brings up quite a reaction in one direction or another on this board (love or hate)

Glad you dig them though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Nirvana is definitely not within the top 20 much less in the top 2 best bands.

whether you like them or not and whether you think Nirvana is overrated or not I dare you to find a more IMPORTANT (not someone you like better) then Nirvana in the past twenty years. By the way I don;t dare you becasue there isn't it's that simple. Nirvana were the most important band since the original punk bands of the late 70s. I don;t care how much you may like interpol or hate seether Nirvana was more important then Joy Division or any new wave bands, I'm not even getting into the bullshit hair metal, and they had a bigger effect then Oasis, Radiohead or any of the Brit pop bands. face it, they were huge and deserve every bit of praise that is heaped on them,
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    whether you like them or not and whether you think Nirvana is overrated or not I dare you to find a more IMPORTANT (not someone you like better) then Nirvana in the past twenty years. By the way I don;t dare you becasue there isn't it's that simple. Nirvana were the most important band since the original punk bands of the late 70s. I don;t care how much you may like interpol or hate seether Nirvana was more important then Joy Division or any new wave bands, I'm not even getting into the bullshit hair metal, and they had a bigger effect then Oasis, Radiohead or any of the Brit pop bands. face it, they were huge and deserve every bit of praise that is heaped on them,

How about the Pixies... Alt rock/indie rock owe a lot to them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    mrwalkerb wrote:

I wouldn't argue against the influence of Nirvana or their role in jumpstarting the "alternative" movement but I think musically they are very overrated. I think many people equate their influence with their music. I still like them a lot but I definitely don't think they are one of the BEST (not influential) 20 bands ever.
  • Options
    man i think the strokes should be on there for new music.... man strokes are fuckin wicked
    ...And Leave You Be If You Cross Me And Shake Your Hand Like A Man Not A God!!!
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    intodeep wrote:
    How about the Pixies... Alt rock/indie rock owe a lot to them.

true, but did the Pixies dethrone the king of pop from the charts? I don't think so...Nirvana had that rare quality to appeal to music snobs and the masses..not to mention, Kurt Cobain was an unforgettable character, he was a restless, enigmatic, volatile and charastmatic personality..his work was emotionally gripping, and effected people in ways that most artists could never connect with their audience. He is notorious, and the type of person that people will remember for a long time...and you can't say if he didn't kill himself he wouldn't be...he did kill himself, that's how extreme the guy was. Cobain ranks up there with people like Lennon and Marley in terms of his mythic stature in pop culture. Frank Black doesn't. But the pixies are good.
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    Igottago wrote:
    true, but did the Pixies dethrone the king of pop from the charts? I don't think so...Nirvana had that rare quality to appeal to music snobs and the masses..not to mention, Kurt Cobain was an unforgettable character, he was a restless, enigmatic, volatile and charastmatic personality..his work was emotionally gripping, and effected people in ways that most artists could never connect with their audience. He is notorious, and the type of person that people will remember for a long time...and you can't say if he didn't kill himself he wouldn't be...he did kill himself, that's how extreme the guy was. Cobain ranks up there with people like Lennon and Marley in terms of his mythic stature in pop culture. Frank Black doesn't. But the pixies are good.

Thank you for that. I totally agree. I dont think the original question was about who was technically the "greatest,smartest,most original band of the 60s and 70s". The question was "wouldnt it be cool if PJ and Nirvana could tour together?" The answer is FUCK YES! For what Nirvana lacked in Technicality they made up for in passion and amazing songs. NOT to be compared with the Beatles or whoever because seriously that is just annoying when people do that with every band. There is no reason you have to say "Nirvana was good but not as good as PJ or the Doors".cnt they both be good? The argument over these two bands really starts to get painful to talk about because it has been talked about so many times.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    Interesting. You are right Kurt Cobain is much more of a houshold name then Frank Black ever will be, but so is Emiem (however you spell his name) to an extent.

To me it is all aboutthe music. Being Popular doesn't make a band better to me, album sales don't make a band better it's the music and in this case how they influenced a music scene.

So although I have to agree with you being right about your point, I guess I must have just taken the question the wrong way, because even though my mom and dad don't know who Frank Black is.... I do and folks who listen to indie music now and in the 90's along with the good alt music of the 90's do.

As mentioned though the thread really took a turn for the worse becasue it is supposed to be about how cool it would have been if PJ and Nirvana toured and although that does not excite me as much as it probably does others i'm sure it would have been cool...

As long as nirvana is the opening act ;)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Agreed. I liked Nirvana 10 years ago, but I can't stand them now. So overrated.
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    I like some of Nirvana's stuff, but I wouldn't mention them in my top 15...
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12