Options

What NIN cd should i start with????

frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
edited January 2006 in Other Music
NIN is coming in march and im curious to their live act so wich CD should i start out with???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Well And All that Could Have Been functions as sort of a live greatest hits so that would give you an idea of how theyve sounded all over their career and how they sound live as well. As far as reccomending studio albums goes, opinions vary severely on the NIN fan, I personally prefer With Teeth(the new one) over any of them. Broken and Downward Spiral(the one most fans would reccomend) come in second for me. Then Pretty Hate Machine(Head Like a Hole is on this one), and finally Fragile. If you get the chance, see them. I saw them in Novemeber and its a great show.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    My favorite NIN's albums in order

1. Broken (yes, I do consider this a studio album, not an EP)
    2. With Teeth
    3. And All That Could Have Been/Still
    4. The Downward Spiral
    5. The Fragile
    6. Pretty Hate Machine
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • Options
    Get Pretty Hate Machine first, it's their first album and it'll give you a great intro to what kind of band NIN is!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Get Pretty Hate Machine first, it's their first album and it'll give you a great intro to what kind of band NIN is!!!

but PHM is very much a stand alone cd sound wise...i mean, at least DS, Fragile, Broken, and WT sound at least vaguely similar if not very similar. PHM is very electronic and not very heavy. Much different than the others so really...isnt a very good example of what NIN is.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Yeah, but PHM is really in your face, and it shows NIN as being "hardcore." (I say hardcore bc Reznor was limited in what he had when recording this album). I think it'd be best if one listened to it and then listened to the rest of their albums chronologically.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    i say get Pretty Hate Machine or With Teeth..those two are the easiest to digest.
    The Fragile is my favorite though..but it takes awhile to sink in.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    I'd say Downward Spiral or Pretty Hate Machine.
  • Options
    sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    id say Pretty Hate, because after that album, it gets really fucking dark and you are amazed my how much the music changed

my first was broken
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413

yeah, I also suggest go in order, get first PHM, then Broken, then Downward Spiral, etc... I really think is the best way to go.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i'd say just go in order as they were released. definitely listen to PHM first and realize it was released in '89 and what that album must have sounded like coming out at that time w/ all the other genres of music circulating in pop culture at the time. it was a VERY different album and was under the radar.
    Live Free or Die!
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I've followed them since PHM and have loved every album. I honestly think you should start with Pretty Hate Machine and follow the music in order of its release. I think it's great to listen to all of the albums in order of release and follow the change in their sound. The lyrics get better and better with each album and it's just great to listen to his musical progression.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Ooops...........I hate it when it reposts.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    3sheets wrote:
    i'd say just go in order as they were released. definitely listen to PHM first and realize it was released in '89 and what that album must have sounded like coming out at that time w/ all the other genres of music circulating in pop culture at the time. it was a VERY different album and was under the radar.

I got this album at the time it was released, I can tell you it was pretty impressive, I remember being introduced to NIN by a friend with whom I shared the love for Ministry... and to the poster who said PHM didn't feel heavy, I can tell at the time we really felt this was heavy industrial music, I was deep into the "grunge" thing but I've also was finding love for a lot of different music, this was not heavy in the way Ministry can be heavy, but heavy in the proposal, the lyrics, and the whole electronic ensamble.

I agree with Porchsitter in recommending to get the albums in order, because as he/she says is awesome to see the progression of Trent and the different sound of each album.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I'd say start with Pretty Hate Machine..or the fragile...although the downward spiral might have songs that you've heard on the radio. Pretty Hate Machine is a great start off point though.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    well i just brought With teeth today and it's bloody fantastic but thats all i can really say in reply to your question because i don't own any other NIN albums.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    Omarama wrote:
    well i just brought With teeth today and it's bloody fantastic but thats all i can really say in reply to your question because i don't own any other NIN albums.
    have you heard the 9th track of that cd? Getting Smaller I believe. It's my favorite off of the whole thing. :)
  • Options
    Penny453 wrote:
    have you heard the 9th track of that cd? Getting Smaller I believe. It's my favorite off of the whole thing. :)
    hmmm, i kinda see that song as a filler...

oh well the album is fucking awesome, im not complaining
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I would recommend Pretty Hate Machine and then The Downward Spiral.
  • Options
    !!!FIXED!!!
    on vinyl
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Get them all. They're well worth it. But if I was going to have to narrow it down, I'd do it in this order (which is tougher to recommend than you'd think)

1) Pretty Hate Machine
    2) With Teeth
    3) The Downward Spiral
    4) Broken
    5) The Fragile
    6) And All That Could Have Been (Don't know if they still it with the Still CD, but that was pretty cool too).
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    NIN is coming in march and im curious to their live act so wich CD should i start out with???

With Teeth. it's the latest and has a really solid collection of songs.

Downward Spiral. Masterpiece.

Either one would be a great place to start.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    !!!FIXED!!!
    on vinyl
    i have been looking for that in cd for so fucking long!!!!
  • Options
    sj_2150 wrote:
    i have been looking for that in cd for so fucking long!!!!
    the NIN website has links on how to purchase most of their stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005RP5/nineinchnai05-20/104-5187999-5070355

:)
  • Options
    Penny453 wrote:
    the NIN website has links on how to purchase most of their stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005RP5/nineinchnai05-20/104-5187999-5070355

:)
    i cant purchase online, i dont have a card...
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    well im gonna go with what mostly everyone said and suggest you buy PHM
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.