Options

ripping copyrighted cds?

haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
edited March 2006 in Other Music
i understand why they put the copyrights on it...i guess... but do they not understand that some people have ipods?

is there any way to get passed the copy rights on cds taht dont allow you to rip a cd to your computer?
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DeadermanDeaderman Posts: 49
    i understand why they put the copyrights on it...i guess... but do they not understand that some people have ipods?

is there any way to get passed the copy rights on cds taht dont allow you to rip a cd to your computer?

Hey, look how long it took them to realize that they could actually get people to pay for songs online. No one ever said the bigwigs were fast..
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838

Hold down the SHIFT key when you pop the CD into the drive and hold it down until you start to upload. Works for me with iTunes.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    rockpants wrote:
    Hold down the SHIFT key when you pop the CD into the drive and hold it down until you start to upload. Works for me with iTunes.

hmm... i tried that. didnt seem to work unless i'm doing it wrong.
    its got a copy control thing on the back of the cd so i'm pretty sure they're doing it on purpose... it records the first like 10 seconds of everysong but its like this weird sound... they're messing with me on purpose i know it! damn thom yorke!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I get so fucking pissed off when they put shit like that on cds.

Anyways, there is a way around it. This is how I find it works for me.

You need to make a copy of the cd. But just don't go to disc copier and copy it like that. Make it so you have to drag each track into the playlist. If you notice there is an extra track at the end. That is the thing that doesn't allow you to copy. Don't drag that into the playlist. So then just burn the rest of the cd, and rip the copy version.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    The issue with copywright isn't making a copy for personal use...it's ripping a CD and sending the tracks to people for free. Thing is, I don't know why the industry is so hell bent on this now. Bac k before the advent of MP3's, there were these handy devices called cassette tapes. People used to take their CD's/Records, etc. and tape songs onto a cassette so that they could listen to a mix of music. I personally spent hours doing this as a teen. The quality was about as shitty as MP3's, and I got to listen to music that I had paid for the way that I wanted to listen to it.

Now, I never repackaged the cassettes and attempted to sell them as actual copies of albums. If someone liked a cassette that I had made, I usually just gave it to them. Did the artist lose money Probably, but nowhere near as much money as the record label lost. These days, you can zap MP3's around the web in less than half the time it takes (took) to make a cassette, but the quality issue still holds true IMO.

The bigger problem is that the record companies are not releasing good music from good bands. It's all image and not substance. You can probably squeeze a few songs out of those kinds of acts, but you're not going to get a sustained level of quality "art" from them. Most people only want the songs that they like. Who wants to pay $16 bucks for a CD with 1 or 2 good songs on it? That shit flips my wig just as much as the next guy.

As long as you're not burning hundreds of CD's for your friends, or trying to sell your burned copies of official releases, I don't see a problem. In fact, you could be doing more for the artist through word of mouth than any slick marketing campaign (that BTW, they are getting seriously fucked in the ass for $$$ wise by their label) can do.

I limit myself to 2 copies of full albums that i will burn and give to friends. I feel that this is fair use, even if the law says its not. Only one person that I know refuses to buy music and relies on friends to burn stuff for 'em. Everyone else I have ever shared music with has gone out and bought their own copy of the album I burned for them, as well as shirts and concert tickets (when applicable).

:)
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i work for a copyright (lawyer) expert. they know yer burning them and it's figured into the cost, of the cd he said! i have no idea how he knows that...
    i asked a lawyer at a class if i can burn 1 for my friend (straight up trading) and he said yes.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    get the program isobuster - works wonders and easy to use. (you can find a tutorial on google)