Options

Matthew Good Band VS. Matt Good

MCGMCG Posts: 780
edited February 2006 in Other Music
How do you think Matt Good's solo records compare with his past work with the Matthew Good Band? I thought if I could find any relative opinions, I would find them here...

Personally, I really really really miss the Matthew Good Band. I do appreciate Matt Good's solo records and I think he is a very talented songwriter. However, I hold many MGB albums in the same high regard I hold PJ's records. "Underdogs" and "Beautiful Midnight" are about as close to a pure rock 'n' roll driven record as you'll ever find and "Last of the Ghetto Astronauts", "Raygun EP" and "The Audio of Being" were all fantastic too. Many give Matt Good a lot of credit for being more political, both "Avalanche" and "White Light Rock 'n' Roll Review" were good but it seemed like they were lacking something I couldn't quite put my finger on, perhaps Dave Genn...
Which came first,
the bad idea or me befallen by it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I wasn't aware that he released solo albums. I'll have to look into that.
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Real tough call here. The MGB was a great rock n' roll band, driving guitars, the whole deal. I absolutely LOVE Matthew Good's two solo albums, the guy is an amazing song writer, no doubt about it. I really don't know what's better, both great, but different.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    MGB by a hair for me but really only because the songs i connect with most came from that era.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    MG solo. I listen to some of the earlier stuff (mostly Underdogs) and think, "ya' know, that's actually kinda boring". But both sides had/have their strengths and weaknesses.

If anyone's missing Dave Genn, pick up the latest 54-40 record, "Yes To Everything".
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I am perfectly happy with both. While I think Avalanche is his best work to date, I like such a ridiculous amount of MGB songs that I think I prefer it more. The quality as a whole seems to be higher to me. That being said, while I prefer the MGB, I certainly don't miss them, as I love Mg's solo career
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    I'm still a much bigger fan of MGB than Matt's solo stuff. I mean, it's passable and all, but it just kind of lacks that punch in the face that you got when Dave Genn was playing guitar. For me, the pinnacle was and always will be "Audio of Being". Matt was known to have trashed that album even when it was just released, but I think it really shows a passion and emotion that Matt hasn't really explored since.

I know he's big on social issues, and that's fine with me. But with MGB, there weren't as many political overtones, and much more (for lack of a better word) soul. Listen to a song like "Tripoli" and hear the difference. That song is fucking chilling, and nothing in Matt's solo repetoire touches it.

That's where I stand, anyway.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • Options
    I wasn't aware that he released solo albums. I'll have to look into that.

"White Light Rock and Roll Review" is fantastic IMO. Great songs and great drumming from Pat Steward.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    "White Light Rock and Roll Review" is fantastic IMO. Great songs and great drumming from Pat Steward.

Avalanche is one of the better albums of the last 5 years
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    MGB is better by far ....although i admit i havent been into MG by himself so my opinion is uninformed
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18