Options

Smashing Pumpkins new album named 'Zeitgeist'

Comments

• Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Well Mellisa Auf der Maur I think will take over bass duties, as she's said she'd be glad to on a few occasions. Don't count on D'arcy coming back. And as much as I'd love to see James, he was basically eye candy for lack of a better word, comic relief, that sort of thing. He's not a necessity but I really want him to be part of it.

Pumpkins '07 :D

I think that's who i was thinking of. Though it would be nice to have D'arcy, Auf der Maur did just fine standing in.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    pazman wrote:
    oh thats is such a load of crap!

anyone could say that but its a pathetic excuse. So you're saying that Billy is saying, 'Machina could've been a great album and i could've written some great rock songs but i decided to experiment and release that stuff'

its ok to experiment but if the songs are no good then dont release it
    Brian Wilson experimented with sounds and released Pet Sounds which was fucking brilliant! Thats OK but dont experiemtn and release 20 mins of good music on a 70 muinute album.THATS BAD!

it goes for everything, a surgeon says 'i could've performed the cystectomy that way (proven technique) but i chose to experiment and thats why i fucked up the operation'

I think you totally underestimate how talented he is, his sense of melody is amazing. Stand inside your love, is another example, again very old-school SP. Just like some of the stuff on Machina II was better, I think he just totally loses a sense of reality every now and then. Most of Adore and Machina was experimental, barely recognisible as Pumpkins yet there were moments of unquestionable brilliance. In my honest opinion he is probably borderline genius when it comes to music, and everybody knows he's a bit of a psycho perfectionist, and if Machina sounded good to him then he probably presumed everbody else would like it too.

And quite honestly, your analogy about the surgeon was rubbish! Surgery is not an art form for a start!! At a stretch you could argue plastic surgery has some room for artistic innovation, but you weren't talking about that.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    pazman wrote:

This album release personally has 1% of the anticipation levels as the new Kings of Leon album

Although I'll no doubt buy the Pumpkins new one zitlist or however it was spelt, King's of Leon, Arcade Fire and Nine Black Alps are seriously anticipated, infact if someone said I could have all three albums today and all I had to do was I dont know suck George W.'s cock or something well I might just have to kneel down.
    The Pumpkins I could patiently wait for though.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    infact if someone said I could have all three albums today and all I had to do was I dont know suck George W.'s cock or something well I might just have to kneel down

Wow. Only album I'd have ever said that about was Vs.

And Vitalogy.

And No Code.

And Yield.

And Binaural.

I remember when I wouldn't have sucked Bush's cock for Riot Act...

And then I got used to Binaural and Riot Act, and decided I loved them.

And then Avocado came along, and I thought yeah, this is good, but why would I want to suck anyone's cock?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Wow. Only album I'd have ever said that about was Vs.

And Vitalogy.

And No Code.

And Yield.

And Binaural.

I remember when I wouldn't have sucked Bush's cock for Riot Act...

And then I got used to Binaural and Riot Act, and decided I loved them.

And then Avocado came along, and I thought yeah, this is good, but why would I want to suck anyone's cock?

Maybe I exaggerated a little, but I'm really looking forward to those three albums.:)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    culot4 wrote:
    If just Eddie Vedder and Matt Cameron went out on the road and called it Pearl Jam it wouldn't be. The Pumpkins had an undeniable chemistry as a four piece, not a two piece.

But eddie vedder doesn't write 98% of everything pearl jam puts out...Corgan is a total control freak, that's why they broke up...I read an interview with James Iha where he said some of those albums should have just been billy corgan solo albums. basically, corgan is a control freak asshole and is the smashingpumpkins
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    why didn't they keep the name zwan?
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    yeah, corgan is about 99.97% of the creative input of smashing pumpkins. like trent reznor in nine inch nails, like dave grohl in foo fighters, like kurt cobain in nirvana, like the douche singer of the strokes.
    like jerry cantrell in aic
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    But eddie vedder doesn't write 98% of everything pearl jam puts out...Corgan is a total control freak, that's why they broke up...I read an interview with James Iha where he said some of those albums should have just been billy corgan solo albums. basically, corgan is a control freak asshole and is the smashingpumpkins

So let me get this straight. Everything you know about the guy you get from interviews. You don't know the guy personally? How can anybody say the guy is a "control freak asshole" w/o actually knowing him. Maybe Iha and Wretzky just took the wrong approach w/ him. Chamberlain seems to do alright.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

• Options
    Maybe the difference is that Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the sickest drummers out there, whereas you could find musicians as good or better than Darcy and Iha just about anywhere.
  • Options
    say_hisay_hi Posts: 311
    Although I'll no doubt buy the Pumpkins new one zitlist or however it was spelt, King's of Leon, Arcade Fire and Nine Black Alps are seriously anticipated, infact if someone said I could have all three albums today and all I had to do was I dont know suck George W.'s cock or something well I might just have to kneel down.
    The Pumpkins I could patiently wait for though.

The Arcade Fire album has been leaked for a few weeks now, its really good, download it.
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • Options
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Maybe the difference is that Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the sickest drummers out there, whereas you could find musicians as good or better than Darcy and Iha just about anywhere.
    Sad but true. D'acry is very replaceable, I hope they take Auf der Maur's offer, she's bad ass. And I love Iha, but he is replaceable, won't be the same without him though.

Why is it "grunge" drummers are bad ass motherfuckers?! Dave Grohl, Jimmy Chamberlain, Sean Kinney, Dave A./Jack Irons/Matt Cameron for example.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    So let me get this straight. Everything you know about the guy you get from interviews. You don't know the guy personally? How can anybody say the guy is a "control freak asshole" w/o actually knowing him. Maybe Iha and Wretzky just took the wrong approach w/ him. Chamberlain seems to do alright.

Didn't Chamberlain get kicked out of the band at one point during the Mellon Collie tour when someone overdosed.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Didn't Chamberlain get kicked out of the band at one point during the Mellon Collie tour when someone overdosed.

Yeah i believe he got kicked out after jonathan melvoin (i think that was his name) the keyboardist, overdosed on heroin. Jimmy had a pretty serious substance abuse problem as well and was kicked off so he could get everything under control.

As i see it, this was done for his own good, not b/c billy was being a control freak.

"She fell funny"

• Options
    a couple things,

first, James is a much better guitar player than he gets credit for, yeah during siamese dream he was in the background, but all the footage i´ve seen during the Adore tour, James was playing lead, and many of the solos as well, i imagine for machina as well, but all 3 times i saw them during machina i was either on melissa´s side or too far away to notice, i can´t believe APC had to give him a crash course

also, to the guy who said Machine was 20 minutes of good music on a 70 minute disc, well, fair enough, i think a lot of people would agree with you, but they would probably pick different favourite songs, i read dozens of reviews of machina when it came out and they all basically said that there were some good songs, but it was too long, but most of their favourites were different songs, so by putting 15 songs on the album, he was putting it all out there for everyone to find their own favourites

i think Billy is as capable as anyone of writing a hit record, but Billy was never one eager to please, you won´t hear all the hits played at a pumpkins show, you´ll hear one or two or three, but he´s not interested in giving people what they want, he wants to challenge his audience i think, and that´s not for eveyone i suppose, but it works for me and i´ll be looking forward to it
  • Options
    I think the big challenge will be competing with songs like "1979" and "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" as far as becoming mainstream. I mean, Mellon Collie was the one time where the Pumpkins actually functioned as a band, and they kicked ass!!! So we'll see how the new Pumpkins sound.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    One of the last Pumpkins songs was that single called 'Untitled' which they recorded for the best of, it was a total return to the kick-ass SP sound, when asked about it Billy said he could always write songs like that, he just liked to experiment. The new album will be wicked.

good point John!

Forgot about that song.
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    So basically corgan is touring with the old drummer, well at least they can play some Gish and Sd, but thats basically a corgan solo album and act if they tour, only with the license to play sp stuff w zwan and his solo 'gems'. thats sheer bsuiness trickery, but the sps first three albums and pices iscariot are ok, billys vocals are shit though.
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Mohab wrote:
    So basically corgan is touring with the old drummer, well at least they can play some Gish and Sd, but thats basically a corgan solo album and act if they tour, only with the license to play sp stuff w zwan and his solo 'gems'. thats sheer bsuiness trickery, but the sps first three albums and pices iscariot are ok, billys vocals are shit though.

was this written purposely to not make any fucking sense?

the early SP stuff is incredible not ok. his vocals aren't meant to be pretty and nice.. its meant to be raw and aggressive.. its what real rock should sound like.. true expression.. his voice works very well with the early stuff so I hope they go back to that style.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    We can debate this until we're blue in the face, but whether or not Billy is capable of writing another Rhinoceros remains to be seen. I'm not expecting a big mainstream success and a return to doing stadium tours, but a solid rock album like Gish and Siamese Dream is what I'm hoping for.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    pazman wrote:
    no doubt it'll be a flop
    the Pumpkins last 2 albums are average and Billys solo effort was woeful and its been 10 years since Mellon Collie....
    I think everyone who doesn't appreciate Machina and Adore should listen closer or shut the hell up about it..

You think people who only know Pearl Jam for Ten and Vs are going to appreciate the No Code-Pearl Jam records? Fuck no. Tons of us (myself included) put all of those albums above Ten and Vs,... same story with the Pumpkins.

MCIS and Siamese Dream are amazing records, but if you can connect with them so are Machina and Adore (and Machina II for that matter).

Corgan's solo album is questionable, but it wasn't a Pumpkins' record anyway.

And by the looks of it the new record will be fairly heavy... we know that there's a lotttttt of guitar layering.. but that's nothing new for Billy no matter what album you're talking about.

About James... He really is an underappreciated guitar player. I love his style,.. and he's just so goddamn solid.. you can rely on him to absolutely tear it up if he's called on. I hope he's with the Pumpkins but I think we're gonna have to wait until the summer to find out.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    after their latest works i´m not hoping something especial of them, meanwhile i´ll be listening siamese dream and ava adore....
  • Options
    The Arcade Fire album has been leaked for a few weeks now, its really good, download it.

I know but my new years resolution was to be a little more patient and not download albums before they come out.:)
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Hopefully the music is better than that title. I have a feeling this thing is going to be a huge flop.

Me to, somethin aint rite
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Options
    I really think that's funny to doubt of an artist talent when he just has made one of the greatest double albuns of all times, and as just wrote albuns like Siamese Dream, Adore, Pisces Iscariot, Gish and Machina. And in the Best of gave us a b-side album that was truly great.

But that's the Pumpkins. People think it's good mood to criticise them.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    Klumpie wrote:
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    6th album
    'Zeitgeist'

watch your myspace bullitin space
    What a lovely and pretentious title.

Well actually it's just pretentious. I can't even feign interest in this.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    I really think that's funny to doubt of an artist talent when he just has made one of the greatest double albuns of all times, and as just wrote albuns like Siamese Dream, Adore, Pisces Iscariot, Gish and Machina. And in the Best of gave us a b-side album that was truly great.

But that's the Pumpkins. People think it's good mood to criticise them.
    Pretty much every b-sides collection you can find from them is better than anything most other bands ever release. Gish outtakes through Machina II.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    dharma69 wrote:
    What a lovely and pretentious title.

Well actually it's just pretentious. I can't even feign interest in this.

......alright....

"She fell funny"

• Options
    sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    well...
    lets just wait and see
    i love rock chicks