Options

More Pumpkins news...

GivenToFlyFreakGivenToFlyFreak Posts: 86
edited August 2006 in Other Music
That's right, the Pumpkins are hard at work on their first new album in over 6 years! They haven't released much info, namely who the heck is in the band, but according to their website (http://www.smashingpumpkins.com) they are recording in the studio NOW... From their website:

"The Smashing Pumpkins are currently in the recording studio with legendary producer Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness), at work on their first new album since 1999."

And here is a little more about Mr. Baker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomas_Baker

This could sound VERY interesting...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Love hearing the updates :D Can't wait.
    On a related topic, I just got a live version of each track on Siamese Dream from a torrent site! :D It's so good hearing these live :)
  • Options
    yay!
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    It's already happened to one of favorite bands, where the headcase lead singer fronts a new group with no original members (GNR).

Here's hoping Billy doesn't make the same mistake. Regardless of their contributions (or lack thereof), the Pumpkins aren't the Pumpkins without James and D'arcy.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I agree with you, but I do want to see the songs live though. But I know I will just keep thinking about D'arcy and James, those two are half of the band. :(

I will still see the pumpkins though b/c those songs have helped me through my teen years. :)

Though I am quite curious on who is going to take over James' place. :/
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    I bet James will be back, but I don't think there will be any intention to bring d'Arcy back. Thats just my opinion.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    As long as it's Billy and Jimmy (which we know Jimmy is on board) then we're ok. However, I'm hoping Mellisa Auf de Maur plays bass.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    Well Jimmy and BC are like best buddies so they'll definetaly both be there.

From what I can tell everyone in the band, apart from James perhaps, ended up falling out with Darcy for some reason - I think it was to do with drugs? - so she definetaly seems off the list.

We all know after reading BC's blog when it first came out (I think it's all been taken away) that James was the real reason behind the demise of the band so even despite all the stuff BC has done James will most probably never be back:( Does anyone actually know what he did? I'm thinking it might have had something due with the cumulative effect of all the band's internal tensions? Like the nature of BC in general, firing Jimmy, Darcy/James relationship, drugs?, family deaths etc - maybe James just got fed up with everything and threw in the towel? He was still up for making music - his solo stuff + Perfect Circle.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    hopefully the new album sounds nothing like billy corgan's solo effort.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    i heard some time ago that the original bass player from Jane's Addiction was taking part in the recording process with Billy and Jimmy
  • Options
    As long as it's nothing like Billy's solo work, or even the Zwan CD, I might look into the album when it comes out. I'm expecting nothing better than probably MACHINA-ish material, though..
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I'm not setting my excpectations too high, but I am looking forward to hearing this.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i heard some time ago that the original bass player from Jane's Addiction was taking part in the recording process with Billy and Jimmy

I think that guy is bass player in Dave Navarro's new band The Panic Channel, so it seems doubtful. Melissa Auf de Maur has already said that she would tour with them again which is cool.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Ummm...Paz could play bass. :D
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Eric Avery, the original bass player from Jane's Addiction, has confirmed he has been working with Corgan. The guy in the Panic Channel is Chris Chaney, who played bass on the Jane's reunioin album, Strays, and the tour that followed. Eric Avery is a great bass player with a simple but very melodic style that I think would fit the Pumpkins very well. Also, many of Jane's addiction's best songs were built around the bass lines he wrote.