Options

Alice In Chains - Astoria Gig

Comments

• Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    i finished work at 1730 yesterday, bombed it down to london from Birmingham for the gig. Made it into the Astoria at 9 (finding parking was just as long as the journey) . When the band started I just wasnt feeling anything from the them, just a lot of nostalgia.
    Then got a text from a mate who told me the footy was going into extra time so left with my mate to go watch it outside a pub in Soho. Best decision of the night, great game, shame about the show (or the 5 songs i stayed for). And if you're wondering, i only left because i am an Italy fan.

well done for italy going through (i tipped them from the start ;)) but also its a shame you didnt feel the gig. everyone from the jamily who met up at the george seemed to have great time., just look at the posts from brisk, ibriski, redrock, myself, gossard is god etc etc etc.

oh well :)
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    i finished work at 1730 yesterday, bombed it down to london from Birmingham for the gig. Made it into the Astoria at 9 (finding parking was just as long as the journey) . When the band started I just wasnt feeling anything from the them, just a lot of nostalgia.
    Then got a text from a mate who told me the footy was going into extra time so left with my mate to go watch it outside a pub in Soho. Best decision of the night, great game, shame about the show (or the 5 songs i stayed for). And if you're wondering, i only left because i am an Italy fan.

so you only left because you are an Italy fan, yet you also say 'shame about the show' as if you didn't think much of them......either way, there's always the opportunity to watch the game again - you missed an awesome gig, which by the time they played Would? was fucking monumental. In the eleven years I've been going to gigs, this ranks among the very best.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    so you only left because you are an Italy fan, yet you also say 'shame about the show' as if you didn't think much of them......either way, there's always the opportunity to watch the game again - you missed an awesome gig, which by the time they played Would? was fucking monumental. In the eleven years I've been going to gigs, this ranks among the very best.

yup could be the last time the guys step foot in this country
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    yup could be the last time the guys step foot in this country

well at least as aic. jerry will prob come back with his solo band or a new one... i think chime was saying he has another....

also william should def come with his own band. they rock!
  • Options
    i just wasnt feeling it, perhaps i was just too stressed after work and then the long drive, but i had a great time watching the football and you guys had a great time at the gig, we're all happy either way.
  • Options
    i just wasnt feeling it, perhaps i was just too stressed after work and then the long drive, but i had a great time watching the football and you guys had a great time at the gig, we're all happy either way.

Just seems like odd priorities, if you were that fussed about the game why not watch it in the first place and save driving all that distance?!
  • Options
    Just seems like odd priorities, if you were that fussed about the game why not watch it in the first place and save driving all that distance?!

what does it matter?
  • Options

hahaha yeh

you knew the match was on so why go ????? why go home????
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:
    what does it matter?

Other than the fact that someone else who couldn't get a ticket, could have gone, not a lot.
  • Options
    Other than the fact that someone else who couldn't get a ticket, could have gone, not a lot.

what's done is done. but whatever
  • Options
    yeah when i got the tickets, god came to me in a dream and said that Italy would be playing that night......
    I swear some of you guys need to chill the fuck out. i'm surprised no one has mentioned the damage to the environment, my journey did.
    Look i went beacause i wanted to see AIC, when i got there i was tired and not feeing the gig, so i left to watch the football. If Italy lost, it would have been a bad decision, but they didnt and the atmosphere that was there in Soho could never have been matched in Birmingham.
  • Options
    yeah when i got the tickets, god came to me in a dream and said that Italy would be playing that night......
    I swear some of you guys need to chill the fuck out. i'm surprised no one has mentioned the damage to the environment, my journey did.
    Look i went beacause i wanted to see AIC, when i got there i was tired and not feeing the gig, so i left to watch the football. If Italy lost, it would have been a bad decision, but they didnt and the atmosphere that was there in Soho could never have been matched in Birmingham.

Dude you're the one who needs to chill out, it was only a fucking observation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just seemed to me that a lot of people wanted to go to the gig and couldn't just seemed a shame THAT WAS ALL.
  • Options
    gregmac666gregmac666 Posts: 123
    Truely great to have those guys on stage again, and great for Will to show that he was capable of doing the songs justice.

When they really got going - about 2 songs in :D - the band & the croud were taking the roof off!
    I was half way up in the balcony & so could see most of the venue, including those jumping around in the pit - great sight! Everyone in to it. Singing loudly... v cool.

I do hope they return with some new material, BUT I do also look forward to the New Comes With The Fall, so I hope they get to play the UK as well.
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • Options
    what a gig

i am so never gonna get over this
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    KELLYS LEASHKELLYS LEASH Posts: 184
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • Options
    cool pics!!

the gig was immense
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • Options
    setlist ?
  • Options
    still not got one

and my memory sucks

all i remember is sludge factory into dam that river, and angry chair into man in the box. is that right?

the baldy will be up soon
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • Options
    i was just happy to hear Would. cant get enough of that song! i kinda felt that they were only really playing most of the better known stuff though. which is fair enough really.

anyway it was an awesome gig!! thats one of the top 5 bands ticked off :) jerry is some kind of guitar/man beast! just watching those hands play... madness!

cool photos too guys! cheers for those, i can never be bothered to take my camera to gigs anymore.

oh and ed, remember talking to me a while ago? i was the guy at the pub - green shorts, longish, light brown hair. didn't think i knew anyone that was there from the board apart from caz, but turns out i did.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • Options
    i was just happy to hear Would. cant get enough of that song! i kinda felt that they were only really playing most of the better known stuff though. which is fair enough really.

anyway it was an awesome gig!! thats one of the top 5 bands ticked off :) jerry is some kind of guitar/man beast! just watching those hands play... madness!

cool photos too guys! cheers for those, i can never be bothered to take my camera to gigs anymore.

oh and ed, remember talking to me a while ago? i was the guy at the pub - green shorts, longish, light brown hair. didn't think i knew anyone that was there from the board apart from caz, but turns out i did.

heh i know who you are :):)

Rooster was just awesome, Everyone just knew the lyrics so it felt like everyone came together!

Also gotta love that thing Kinney does in Roosterwhen he waits to smash the cymbals, he waves his stick in a circle in the air :P

FOr those at the George.. Does that guy ( whats his name? ) who wore a 92 pearl jam long sleeve shirt for PJ@Astoria and cant remember what he wore for AIC come on the forum? ( He also has short hair and sat next to Wez
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I BrisK I wrote:
    FOr those at the George.. Does that guy ( whats his name? ) who wore a 92 pearl jam long sleeve shirt for PJ@Astoria and cant remember what he wore for AIC come on the forum? ( He also has short hair and sat next to Wez

Morning :D Think you're talking about Keith (Keithos on the board) he bought a ticket from Brisk for me is that the right person?
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    Morning :D Think you're talking about Keith (Keithos on the board) he bought a ticket from Brisk for me is that the right person?

ah yes, He gave cash to Brisk ( older brother ) in exchange for your ticket incase he didn't see you
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    Says the person who probably hasn't seen them live with the new guy singing. Go start your own anti AiC thread bum hole. They sounded fucking incredible last night, and THAT is all that counts.

I'm not anti-AIC...the TRUE Alice in Chains is my second favorite band of all time. I just don't think it's the same without Layne. He was the real identity of the band, and it would be like watching Pearl Jam without Eddie. That's just posin'. If you enjoyed it, does it really matter what my opinion is? Obviously you care quite a bit, or you wouldn't have made the effort to refute my opinion.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Options
    BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    I'm not anti-AIC...the TRUE Alice in Chains is my second favorite band of all time. I just don't think it's the same without Layne. He was the real identity of the band, and it would be like watching Pearl Jam without Eddie. That's just posin'. If you enjoyed it, does it really matter what my opinion is? Obviously you care quite a bit, or you wouldn't have made the effort to refute my opinion.

OK. But they still piss over just about every band out there!

The general consensus is that this was truly an EXCELLENT/AWESOME/GREAT gig - in my circles these words aren't thrown about loosely. This leads one to believe that the band remains right at the top - right where they belong.
  • Options

It bugs me that some people seem to think they are the only ones who saw Layne as the incredible singer he was - far from it, we all know how special a singer he was and, I don't think I'm alone in saying that I was utterly crushed when I learnt of his death. That said, if his own father could go out and see the band with William Duvall singing, I think some people need to get over themselves and see it for what it is, and not what it isn't.

It doesn't matter to me on a personal level what your opinion is, more than anything all I'm trying to say is give it a chance. Honestly it was a very emotional show, obviously because Layne wasn't there, but Duvall gave an impassioned performance that made the whole show feel like a celebration of the music, rather than a morose case of flogging a dead horse.
  • Options
    It bugs me that some people seem to think they are the only ones who saw Layne as the incredible singer he was - far from it, we all know how special a singer he was and, I don't think I'm alone in saying that I was utterly crushed when I learnt of his death. That said, if his own father could go out and see the band with William Duvall singing, I think some people need to get over themselves and see it for what it is, and not what it isn't.

It doesn't matter to me on a personal level what your opinion is, more than anything all I'm trying to say is give it a chance. Honestly it was a very emotional show, obviously because Layne wasn't there, but Duvall gave an impassioned performance that made the whole show feel like a celebration of the music, rather than a morose case of flogging a dead horse.

Great post. I agree 100%.
    2007 - London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Great gig. So glad to have been there. Atmosphere was amazing.

Although I found it rather emotional and sad, thinking about Layne and anything. They played my two fav songs Rain When I Die and Down in a Hole. Shed a couple of tears where they started.

Wasn't sure about William at first but he grew on my after a couple of songs. The guys still had so much energy, pleased to see Jerry headbanging away even though he had injured his shoulder doing that only a few months ago and has been undergoing therapy! :D

Nice to see all my friends from the board again and also to meet some new people. :)
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options

Nice to see all my friends from the board again and also to meet some new people. :)

am a new person?! :D
  • Options
    i guess no one missed the cameras? dunno if they filmed their other shows. maybe they will release a touring dvd? that would kick ASS
  • Options
    darkcrow wrote:
    i guess no one missed the cameras? dunno if they filmed their other shows. maybe they will release a touring dvd? that would kick ASS

what i think they are doing is putting montage of the show.. They just put up one for Lisbon , the shots look similar to the ones that the cameras at the astoria would have been used it