Options

Cover story on Mr. Stapp on CNN.com entertainment

pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Sorry, don't know how to post a link on here...I missed that day of computer class, but there is an interesting article on Stapp on CNN.com under the entertainment section. Pretty funny stuff about how he feels hated. Sorry if this has been posted.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    What a freakin farkwit! He contradicts himself about 3 times in the article.....sounds like the wanker he has always been anyway
    he who forgets will be destined to remember
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    It says, "Band members wanted more say in the songs, but Stapp didn't want to budge."

Two sentences earlier, Stapp says, "Jealousy started setting in, and egos."

Could someone explain that one to me?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    LMAO PBM....exactly;)
    he who forgets will be destined to remember
  • Options
    pjsyco wrote:
    Sorry, don't know how to post a link on here...I missed that day of computer class, but there is an interesting article on Stapp on CNN.com under the entertainment section. Pretty funny stuff about how he feels hated. Sorry if this has been posted.

"I think my record is going to speak for itself to the Creed fans. I think it's going to be like when Sting left The Police."

This guy has some balls comparing his miserable self to Sting and his sucky ex-band to the police ... LOL
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    "I think my record is going to speak for itself to the Creed fans. I think it's going to be like when Sting left The Police."

This guy has some balls comparing his miserable self to Sting and his sucky ex-band to the police ... LOL

I think it's more comprable to say when David Lee Roth left Van Halen.

Don't get me wrong, I love DLR, but come on.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    I think it's more comprable to say when David Lee Roth left Van Halen.

Don't get me wrong, I love DLR, but come on.

PBM

I dont know, I dont think I can compare Creed to any band since they are the suckiest band ever .... LOL

I still think that Van Halen even during Hagar time was not the same as the times with DLR...
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    LMAO @ the album cover
  • Options
    I think the album cover speaks for itself, whats with that pose? lol. One look at that and you know its crap. It looks like hes getting something shoved up his ass.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    sorry, i just couldnt concentrate seriously on the article after seeing the cover artwork for his new album. i almost pissed myself. good to see his ego hasnt diminished at all yet!
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    LMAO @ at the album cover

Are you serious ??? That's the album cover???

Geez !!!! like someone just said one look at the cover and it should be enough warning not to waste your money on it .. lol
  • Options
    he can't even come up with his own pose for the album cover... he looks like Bono. stapp is such a loser!
  • Options
    yielderyielder Posts: 160
    pjsyco wrote:

what does this have to do with pearl jam...
    you should post this in the creed forum :):)
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • Options
    Please, please, please don't ever use Scott Stapp and David Lee Roth in the same sentence again. Scott isn't worthy of bringing Dave another Jack Daniels.
  • Options
    whoever call Stapp a wanker was right on
    peace
  • Options
    Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

(chappelle show reference)
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    ahahahaha... i had to come back to this thread just to laugh at the album cover.

and by the way, regarding the Stapp vs. 311 smackdown story, here's the blog from 311's MySpace:

Setting the record straight
  • Options
    jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47
    "It's my band!!! MY BAND!! I AM THE GREATEST LEAD SINGER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    He wouldn't budge on writing and arrangements and doing everything his way, but he still did anything he could for his bandmates? How does that make any sense? "I guess its maturity" - Oh please.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    how could you all even mention his name or better yet his so-called band!
  • Options
    worlieworlie Posts: 64
    Instead of a Police/Sting reference he should have said:

N'Sync/Justin
    Genesis/Phil
    Limp Bizkit/Fred

continue everyone....
    i knelt and emptied the mouth of every PUG around...

7/5/98 dallas, 10/14/00 houston, 10/15/00 houston, 10/17/00 dallas, 4/5/03 san antonio, 4/6/03 houston, 6/9/03 dallas, 10/8/04 kissimmee
  • Options
    It looks like a Godsmack album cover...What the hell?
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    ahahahaha... i had to come back to this thread just to laugh at the album cover.

and by the way, regarding the Stapp vs. 311 smackdown story, here's the blog from 311's MySpace:

i agree, it's pretty priceless :)

the indignation and outrage from 311 fans on their blog is kind funny too though...
  • Options
    The opening sentence of the article says 'I just felt hated so I wanted to go away'. Then why the hell didn't he!?! It would have made the world a better place.

I just read a review of this album in Rolling Stone. They hated it and cited one song (can't remember the title) as being a complete rip off of Release. Not that I'm going to buy to find out but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    The reason the main stream is thought of as a stream is because it's so shallow. -George Carlin-
  • Options
    evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    I think i feel sorry for the guy.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/13348460.htm

Posted on Wed, Dec. 07, 2005

Great Scott

After fall from grace, a solo Stapp’s new creed is being a …

By Geoff Boucher

Los Angeles Times

Associated Press
    Former Creed lead singer Scott Stapp, free from the demons – and egos – of his past, is venturing out alone with a new album, “The Great Divide.” He’s hoping fans will welcome him, but the person he most wants to impress is his 7-year-old son.

Scott Stapp, the former lead singer of Creed, is back from career exile with an album titled “The Great Divide,” out Nov. 22. It’s a fitting name – there might be no more polarizing figure in recent rock history, and the gulf between his fans and his detractors is wide and ugly.

Stapp might have been the most mocked man in rock in the 1990s, but Creed also sold a staggering 25 million albums in the United States alone. But pop audiences’ infatuations fade fast, while rock purists know how to hold a grudge.

None of this is lost on Stapp.

“I don’t know what to expect, I really don’t,” Stapp said in a hushed voice during a recent visit to Los Angeles to promote the solo CD. “Do I pick up where I left off? Or do I have to start all over again, playing to five people in a room?”

Stapp reached great commercial heights with Creed, a band that presented a radio-friendly sound that was part simplified Pearl Jam and part arena-rock spiritual anthem.

As the band reached the top, Stapp became akin to the Vanilla Ice of modern rock – ridiculed as derivative, vainglorious and undeserving.

In the end, Creed didn’t even like Creed. The band officially broke up last year, but the first death rattle was in December 2002 on stage in Rosemont, Ill. Stapp’s account of the night is that increasing tension within the band inspired him to turn and call out his mates while performing the aptly titled “Who’s Got My Back.”

Seeing something in their eyes that was less than supportive, Stapp says, he plopped down on stage on his back and sang to the rafters. Some fans at the show had a different interpretation; they filed a lawsuit later claiming that Stapp was drunk or loaded and that the band owed a refund to all 15,000 fans on hand.

Months after the Rosemont fiasco, Stapp and Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti, the musical forces behind the band, came together in the studio to begin work on the band’s fourth studio album. It went nowhere. After that, Stapp, for the first time, ran from the spotlight.

“It was killing me, so I ran off to Maui and spent a lot of time with my son,” he said. “I was internalizing everything. You can’t have a me-against-the-world attitude, and I know that now. This is a business where you have to let a lot of stuff go.”

Stapp may want to let things go, but what about his skeptics? Fred Jacobs, of Jacobs Media, a Michigan-based radio consultant company that works with rock stations, compared Stapp’s fall from grace to the waning interest in Oasis in America.

“Scott has a lot of baggage to overcome,” he said. “This is a lightning rod guy for a lot of radio programmers and frankly that hurts. There’s not a lot of excitement right now to embrace his new music. This is a guy that made people angry. Like Oasis, there was a growing perception that his behavior hurt him.”

For a guy steeped in Christian experience, Stapp sounds pretty Zen these days. He won’t talk about Tremonti and company, nor will he discuss any animus toward rock radio, although he does let it slip that some of the current airplay stars in modern rock sound “like Creed tribute bands.” Then it’s back to the basics of humility.

“I’m older now and I’ve (had) time – a few years – to reflect on the past and how I got where I am, the good and the bad,” Stapp said as he prepared for an appearance on “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno.” “I thought about the way I handled things, and sometimes I think I came off the wrong way. It was all a function of this chip on my shoulder.”

On the show, Stapp wore a shirt printed with the phrase “Music is the Weapon of the Future,” a motto of Fela Kuti, the Nigerian music pioneer and political firebrand who died in 1997 of complications due to AIDS. But backstage the rock star had a more passive message.

“I can’t live for other people’s opinions, I have to live for me,” the 32-year-old said. “I can only be me. The other way, well, that was killing me. Now, I can admit my faults.”
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:

I'm glad my 2nd fave band got a chance to kick his ass. :) 311's got the groove y'all! ;)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    evenkat wrote:
    I think i feel sorry for the guy.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/13348460.htm

Posted on Wed, Dec. 07, 2005

Great Scott

After fall from grace, a solo Stapp’s new creed is being a …

By Geoff Boucher

Los Angeles Times

Associated Press
    Former Creed lead singer Scott Stapp, free from the demons – and egos – of his past, is venturing out alone with a new album, “The Great Divide.” He’s hoping fans will welcome him, but the person he most wants to impress is his 7-year-old son.

Scott Stapp, the former lead singer of Creed, is back from career exile with an album titled “The Great Divide,” out Nov. 22. It’s a fitting name – there might be no more polarizing figure in recent rock history, and the gulf between his fans and his detractors is wide and ugly.

Stapp might have been the most mocked man in rock in the 1990s, but Creed also sold a staggering 25 million albums in the United States alone. But pop audiences’ infatuations fade fast, while rock purists know how to hold a grudge.

None of this is lost on Stapp.

“I don’t know what to expect, I really don’t,” Stapp said in a hushed voice during a recent visit to Los Angeles to promote the solo CD. “Do I pick up where I left off? Or do I have to start all over again, playing to five people in a room?”

Stapp reached great commercial heights with Creed, a band that presented a radio-friendly sound that was part simplified Pearl Jam and part arena-rock spiritual anthem.

As the band reached the top, Stapp became akin to the Vanilla Ice of modern rock – ridiculed as derivative, vainglorious and undeserving.

In the end, Creed didn’t even like Creed. The band officially broke up last year, but the first death rattle was in December 2002 on stage in Rosemont, Ill. Stapp’s account of the night is that increasing tension within the band inspired him to turn and call out his mates while performing the aptly titled “Who’s Got My Back.”

Seeing something in their eyes that was less than supportive, Stapp says, he plopped down on stage on his back and sang to the rafters. Some fans at the show had a different interpretation; they filed a lawsuit later claiming that Stapp was drunk or loaded and that the band owed a refund to all 15,000 fans on hand.

Months after the Rosemont fiasco, Stapp and Creed guitarist Mark Tremonti, the musical forces behind the band, came together in the studio to begin work on the band’s fourth studio album. It went nowhere. After that, Stapp, for the first time, ran from the spotlight.

“It was killing me, so I ran off to Maui and spent a lot of time with my son,” he said. “I was internalizing everything. You can’t have a me-against-the-world attitude, and I know that now. This is a business where you have to let a lot of stuff go.”

Stapp may want to let things go, but what about his skeptics? Fred Jacobs, of Jacobs Media, a Michigan-based radio consultant company that works with rock stations, compared Stapp’s fall from grace to the waning interest in Oasis in America.

“Scott has a lot of baggage to overcome,” he said. “This is a lightning rod guy for a lot of radio programmers and frankly that hurts. There’s not a lot of excitement right now to embrace his new music. This is a guy that made people angry. Like Oasis, there was a growing perception that his behavior hurt him.”

For a guy steeped in Christian experience, Stapp sounds pretty Zen these days. He won’t talk about Tremonti and company, nor will he discuss any animus toward rock radio, although he does let it slip that some of the current airplay stars in modern rock sound “like Creed tribute bands.”
    stop right there. are you fucking kidding me? is this guy on acid? creed tribute band? isnt that rich
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    WES wrote:

He compares himself to Sting? He will rot in hell for that comment.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    "although he does let it slip that some of the current airplay stars in modern rock sound “like Creed tribute bands."

If you think about this... the sound was watered down by creed as they stole from pearl jam... enough time has gone by where substandard musicians probably stole from creed over pearl jam as the later albums by Pearl Jam did not resemble the "grunge" sound they started out with.

I always though a band like Revis was more Creed than Pearl Jam.

Sad but true folks... sad but true
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    can anyone shoot this bastard in the head pleeeeeaase????
    no son personas, son mujeres