Mars Volta/Scabdates=amazing

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited November 2005 in Other Music
I never thought they could amaze me more than with Frances, but from track 7 onward on the cd is downright amazing. Before that is beyond solid, but the first time I heard track 7 I was awestruck, and from there on I had the same feeling the entire time. The band conjured thoughts of Zeppelin in my mind during points. I highly recomend this album. And do yourself a favor and get really high and then give it a listen. It rules. I never thought they could be that tight live, with so much goin on.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know this isn't exactly related to the topic but I've been thinking about checking The Mars Volta out. I'm curious, would it be best to start with their debut CD and work my way up? I heard some clips at Amazon and they seem to have a more original sound than many bands out there.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I know this isn't exactly related to the topic but I've been thinking about checking The Mars Volta out. I'm curious, would it be best to start with their debut CD and work my way up? I heard some clips at Amazon and they seem to have a more original sound than many bands out there.

pick up the studio albums...wait a while...then go live. theyre nuts
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Actually if you take away the crowd noise, the overall sound isnt much different. They have a very thick sound live. Nice and full and alot goin on. I would recommend Frances the Mute, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the live album as the first choice either.
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    Their first LP, De-Loused In The Comatorium is probably what you should start out with. It's the most accessible and consistent. Frances The Mute has a lot of empty space in between the really rocking parts that tests ones patience. The rocking parts, are great though.

I have seen them in concert 3 times and highly recommend you see them. Lots of energy, improvisation (10-25 min. songs are normal), and people on-stage playing sax, maracas, and congo drums.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I think you should start with De-Loused In The Comatorium. I like Frances the Mute more but i think De-Loused is a better cd to start with.

I have been hesitant on picking up the scabdates album. I understand during the middle of one of the songs it just kind of drifts off to werid sounds or something like they are trying to make it sound like an encore break. I don't know i have just read a lot of mixed reviews. I have seen them twice and loved them both times though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22