Options

D'yer Maker

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I have tried to like this LEd Zeppelin song but I just can't. House of the Holy is a very good song but for me this song puts a dampener on it. I read that it was wrote as a "ditty" and that John Paul hates it. I for one don't like the reggee number either.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I'm a big Zep fan, but I don't like Jamaica either.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921
    fada wrote:
    I have tried to like this LEd Zeppelin song but I just can't. House of the Holy is a very good song but for me this song puts a dampener on it. I read that it was wrote as a "ditty" and that John Paul hates it. I for one don't like the reggee number either.

The song, "Houses of the holy" was on the Physical Graffiti album. And the pope didn't listen to Led Zeppelin.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Sorry it should be house of the holy the album. Still don't like the song.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I agree. It's not a fave of mine, either. I think the song lacks the necessary (a) humour and (b) lightness of touch, to make it work.
  • Options
    I taught that they might chance the direction totally after the first chorus but they went back to the same format.
  • Options
    plinnplinn Posts: 30
    That is a great song...that is if you know how to play the drums, which I do, and it is a great groove to rock to with the cans cranking in your ears.

dig it....

I hear your wife went away on holiday...d'yer mak'r...No she went of her own accord...
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    plinn wrote:
    That is a great song...that is if you know how to play the drums, which I do, and it is a great groove to rock to with the cans cranking in your ears.

I'm a musician too, but are you saying that a musician's opinion on a song is somehow more valid than a non-musician's? I'd be disinclined to make such a statement. I'm not sure any musician or even musicologist's appreciation of a song is any more valid than a layman's, either: One might be able to analyse critically the processes involved in musical production if one practices or theorises music, but a listener's reaction to a song is just as valid, and perhaps even more so, since they tend to connect with music on a visceral rather than cerebral level.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i've liked that song ever since it was released.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    fada wrote:
    I've always loved this song but I can see why some wouldn't. Led Zeppelin reggae? who'da thunk it?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    That was one of the first Zeppelin songs I ever heard and I absolutely love it. Not sure what it is about it because it is repetitive. I just think it's cool :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    i like it more than "over the hills and far away."