Options

coldplay on the outs?

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
edited February 2006 in Other Music
i saw a blurb in newsweek about them taking a very extended break. anyone know anything about it?

why do i keep picking bands that dont much enjoy their jobs? pearl jam takes longer and longer between albums (a 2 year hiatus is moving QUICK for them these days), counting crows have disappeared from the world, silverchair dropped off the map. what gives? what happened to the days when bands like led zep and the beatles were easily cranking out an album per year? maybe there's not enough good lsd in the music world anymore...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the album a year thing was standard in record contracts back then.......some people could do it, others broke under the pressure.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    yeah i read on the front of a magazine(possibly Q) that X & Y was gonna be their last album, that was before it was released so it wouldn't surprise me, personaly i dont like them but i'd rather hear them than a lot of the other shite out there.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    First thing, I love Coldplay and everything they've done. But I can see this happening. There was tremendous pressure on the band to have X&Y be a knock-out. So much so that they destroyed the masters to an entire CD's worth of material, and then started again from scratch. While I think it is a terrific pop record, many critics considered X&Y to be the same, vanilla, and boring.
    Plus Chris' whole gimmick comes from writing sad love songs. It's hard to do (or to take seriously) if the guy is happily married with child. The band will have to either develop out of that mold and write meaningful songs about other subjects, or call it quits.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I heard on the radio that the lead singer said at some award show that they were taking a break. Im not a huge fan but it seems a very public place to just spout off whats up without prior mention. It could be he wants to spend time with family.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    You know, as much as I like a few Coldplay songs, as I listened to X & Y the first time, it became readily apparent that the band was done. They don't have important music left to make. It's all the same. No progression. Frankly, I was amazed that anyone really got into X & Y. There just isn't much there. I hope they have the guts to end it, unlike others stuck in the same rut *cough Dave Matthews Band cough*
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    corduroy10 wrote:
    First thing, I love Coldplay and everything they've done. But I can see this happening. There was tremendous pressure on the band to have X&Y be a knock-out. So much so that they destroyed the masters to an entire CD's worth of material, and then started again from scratch. While I think it is a terrific pop record, many critics considered X&Y to be the same, vanilla, and boring.
    Plus Chris' whole gimmick comes from writing sad love songs. It's hard to do (or to take seriously) if the guy is happily married with child. The band will have to either develop out of that mold and write meaningful songs about other subjects, or call it quits.

ill agree with that. x&y was a decent album (sure better than much of the shit out there) but it definitely felt like 'a rush of blood to the head' part 2. ill be interested to see if they do anything new next time around, but if not, they will end up like dmb... rewriting the same songs over and over and over.