Options

Hi, I'm Bob Pollard. I sing poetry over perfect pop hooks

lukins fridgelukins fridge Posts: 237
edited November 2005 in Other Music
i really wished i had discovered Guided by Voices a long time ago so i could have seen them live. i just looked at my itunes and i ripped 'bee thousand (my first gbv album)' in June. just missed 'em by a few months.

anyway, lets talk about this friggin band. they are amazing...and deep. i listened to 'the best of jill hives' today and read the lyrics along and it almost brought a tear to my eyes.

they are the great unknown. if you like rock music and have patience, pick up some of their stuff...oh and by stuff, i mean TONS OF FUCKIN STUFF:

http://gbvdb.com/tracks.asp?x=1&artistid=0&artistids=4&all=true
Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Bob Pollard is a giant fucking alcoholic who made some neat tunes.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    i really wished i had discovered Guided by Voices a long time ago so i could have seen them live. i just looked at my itunes and i ripped 'bee thousand (my first gbv album)' in June. just missed 'em by a few months.

anyway, lets talk about this friggin band. they are amazing...and deep. i listened to 'the best of jill hives' today and read the lyrics along and it almost brought a tear to my eyes.

they are the great unknown. if you like rock music and have patience, pick up some of their stuff...oh and by stuff, i mean TONS OF FUCKIN STUFF:

http://gbvdb.com/tracks.asp?x=1&artistid=0&artistids=4&all=true

Some nights they were the greatest band in the world and other nights they were the worst local band in your city. They had very little inbetween. I saw Guided by Voices 11 times. 5 times they were great, 6 times they were a bad smelling egg fart.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    BUENA wrote:
    Some nights they were the greatest band in the world and other nights they were the worst local band in your city. They had very little inbetween. I saw Guided by Voices 11 times. 5 times they were great, 6 times they were a bad smelling egg fart.

:D:D:D:D Oh god, I was just laughing so hard about the egg fart comment!!! LMFAO!! My pals look at me funny when I say things like--eggy farts, or popcorn farts, or sewage bowels... I'm so glad I'm not the only nutbar!!! :D

Thanks for making me howl this morning, BUENA!!!!! :D

Sorry, it has nothing to do with your post, lukins fridge, however, I am now curious to see what this band's all about. Thanks. :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    :D:D:D:D Oh god, I was just laughing so hard about the egg fart comment!!! LMFAO!! My pals look at me funny when I say things like--eggy farts, or popcorn farts, or sewage bowels... I'm so glad I'm not the only nutbar!!! :D

Sorry, it has nothing to do with your post, lukins fridge, however, I am now curious to see what this band's all about. Thanks. :)

No Problem. Do The Collapse is a great album by Guided By Voices. Check that one out.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options

hey thats cool. i would never want to hear a band that sounded like that.

either way, i think the appeal of the band is that they're different. and they like to drink. like me. every day.

What goes on?
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Pollard is a fucking genius. GBV are definitely my favorite band of all time.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    "i took a car / i drove it far / i dug the quality of steel"
  • Options
    has anyone read their book? i don't think i'm ready for it yet seeing how i just discovered the band. but, anyone know what it's like?

What goes on?