edited August 2022 in Other Music
he's covering Billy Idol.
this film was shot back in the 80's...
enjoy!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyJWkbVVH4
Post edited by gusturtle on

Comments

• Options
    say it aint so......everyones gotta start somewhere i suppose though....

nice dance moves trent
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I would say in the past 20+ years Trent has shed that image, its ancient. Look how young he was. That thing looked liked a high school talent show. If you listen very closely you can hear the virgining sound of NIN ...Reznor is still the man and this does nothing to attack his credibility.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Seriously. "Image" my ass. I think the first song I ever learned on guitar was a Candlebox song. I turned out just fine.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    some would argue that you turned out fine!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    HEY! don't dis trent. he's looking mighty fine these days. :cool:
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:
    he's covering Billy Idol for goodness sakes.
    this film was shot back in the 80's and clearly ruins the goth-cred he's fought so hard to establish through the years...
    enjoy!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyJWkbVVH4
    you're a dork bro...billy idol rocks!
  • Options
    DeniDeni Posts: 233
    Hey now!!! I suppose half of you werent even alive in the 1980's, but Billy Idol was the BOMB in the mid 80's! Rebel Yell was my school's fight song! (Our mascott was the Rebel). He was at the height of his popularity then! And he was the ass-kickingist thing around at the time. He rocked! He is a joke now, but back then... he rocked! :D

Peace and Love,
    Deni :)
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    bluemonkey wrote:
    you're a dork bro...billy idol rocks!

I have to admit you're right. He was at the 2001 Bridge Show which I attended. I thought his performance there was gonna be a joke, but his set fuckin' rocked. No wonder Ed joked about Billy Idol being one of the student's new favorite performer.
  • Options
    Trent Reznor is great. If that is supposed to make him a dork, then he is so much more awesome now in my eyes, lol! He is a great musician. And I will say that I do have a lot of respect for Billy Idol and his music.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    So, shall we label The Clash as dorks because they were friends with Billy Idol? ...actually Generation X (the band where Idol began) did some exciting music, you should try to check something from them out.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    http://www.youtube.com/?v=Q0w9BSbAynM

this vid. evens it out.....lol

even this one...http://www.youtube.com/?v=DkB24VA0tVw
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:
    clearly ruins the goth-cred he's fought so hard to establish through the years...

do you even know anything about nine inch nails?
    if anybody doesn't give a damn about any kind of cred it's trent reznor...

and billy idol is a great performer... you should definitely check out generation x... he's more than a cheesy 80s rock star...
    you're the one who started the whole thing about credibility - and billy idol has lots of cred amongst musicians of different genres...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    Okay, so the Billy Idol cover is pretty comical, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I could spent hours on You Tube watching NIN video. It's one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon. There's not a whole lot that Trent could do that I would find fault with. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    Reznor just got cooler in my eyes. That is a spot on, kick ass cover of "Eyes Without a Face." And Billy Idol rocks.
  • Options
    I truly do not understand the purpose of this thread...

To each his own.
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    do you even know anything about nine inch nails?
    if anybody doesn't give a damn about any kind of cred it's trent reznor...

and billy idol is a great performer... you should definitely check out generation x... he's more than a cheesy 80s rock star...

i've seen nin 8 times, and love them. (best show was 94 self destruct tour - fox theatre in atlanta. front row. opening for nin was then-unknown marilyn manson)

i love billy idol as well. his best song was "prodigal blues," which was completely overlooked by fans and critics alike.

the purpose of this thread was not to make fun of trent or billy idol. i just never expected to see him of all people covering billy idol. sorry you made the mistake of misunderstanding me. i'll try to talk down couple levels on my future posts.

"this isn't meant to last / this is for right now"
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:
    i've seen nin 8 times, and love them. (best show was 94 self destruct tour - fox theatre in atlanta. front row. opening for nin was then-unknown marilyn manson)

i love billy idol as well. his best song was "prodigal blues," which was completely overlooked by fans and critics alike.

the purpose of this thread was not to make fun of trent or billy idol. i just never expected to see him of all people covering billy idol. sorry you made the mistake of misunderstanding me. i'll try to talk down couple levels on my future posts.

hey... no hard feelings...
    but this is a general problem on message boards - it was difficult to realize that your comment was tongue-in-cheek...
    to me (and some others as well) it sounded like you were dissing both trent and billy...
    sorry for misunderstanding you but it just wasn't clear...

that video IS funny... and as a fellow NIN fan you probably know about trent's great sense of humour...

the thing is, if we knew each other, were having a beer and joking about bands i would've found your comment hillarious... but in an anonymous environment like this here i just misunderstood you as saying "look at this pseudo-goth loser covering a cheesy tune by a no-talent 80s has-been"... these kind of posts pop up here more often than you might think...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    frogwater wrote:

That is backpeddling at its finest. If you feel a certain way about something it would have been better to stand by it instead of retracting based on the responses you got. I disagreed with what you wrote but its nothing against you personally. In your first post, which you have changed, you said how it destroyed the goth cred he worked so hard to establish over the years. That comment isn't open for interpretation, it was pretty blunt and read crystal clear.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    edited August 2022
    culot4 wrote:
    That comment isn't open for interpretation, it was pretty blunt and read crystal clear.
    Post edited by gusturtle on
  • Options
    Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    that video of him only made him greater in my eyes. It's a great cover of a Billy Idol song...now the song is stuck in my head and I'll probably be singing it for the whole day. That was shot in the 80s...think about how everyone looked in the 80s...everyone was a dork...who cares? If anything I'd like to thank you because I never knew about that site and there is some great footage of NIN on it. Thanks! :)
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • Options
    Penny453 wrote:
    That was shot in the 80s...think about how everyone looked in the 80s...everyone was a dork...who cares? :)

Case in point ... my wedding pictures. In the big scheme of things, Trent looked good, even back then. (However ... oh gods of fashion, please, please, please don't bring back the curly mullet.)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~