Options

Anyone seen a show where the audience boo's/ignores/doesnt clap for band?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited September 2008 in Other Music
Seems like it could happen, I remember a scene in Dont Look Back when dylan talked about an audience clapping and how odd it would be if they didnt clap at the end of a song, if they just sat there. I am sure this has happened once at one concert, maybe not to dylan, but to someone else.

Anyone seen anything like that? A crowd being awfully rude to a performer? Booing?

Anyone seen any scenes like the Bright Eyes video for Four Winds?

I saw Sonic Youth open for PJ at San Fran III in 06. Oddly enough this was a band people should have had standing ovations for before, during and after the gig. But strangely, the audience acted like they were seeing or hearing this band for the first time, and thought Sonic Youth's unconventional and unorthodox tunings and guitar noodlings were bizaare. I remember people booing, someone throwing trash on stage, and people louding saying "bring Pearl Jam on!". It was surreal. This was a band, that is and was a huge influence on PJ and the whole grunge scene, and they were being treated like some third rate lounge act. I was ashamed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I am pretty sure there was only me and a handful of others that enjoyed Alice in Chains when they opened for Megadeth/Anthrax/Slayer. People were booing and hissing and throwing shit throughout the show. If I remember correctly, Layne changed the chorus "wont you come and suck me" or something like that. Damn shame
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    I saw Sonic Youth warm up for PJ in 2000 at Mansfield Mass. and the audience was mostly indifferent to them and the place was barely a quarter full. I was thinking to myself that these people were missing this opportunity to hear this great band and did not understand what they were all about.
  • Options
    I (unfortunately) saw The Darkness at a Donnington festival one year. I think it was just before they released their debut single here in the UK. Justin Hawkins was running about, attempting to sing falsetto in a tiger skin jumpsuit with back combed hair...

Needless to say, the Slayer fans loved it.

I've never seen so many bottles thrown or heard booing like it.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    go watch some old GG Allin clips. he use to perform naked, shit onstage, throw the shit at the crowd, wipe the shit on himself and then eat his own shit. how do you think the crowd reacted to that?

singer from Oxbow often gets in fights with the crowd.

lots of old punk/hardcore shows in the 80s and 90s were full of violence toward the performers or the audience themselves.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    yes pearl jam at uniondale 2003-boos were louder than those for the knicks
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    There's always "boooo-ing" at PJ shows!

...For Boom, anyways.

Actually, (and not just to bash them becasue everyone here seems to despise them), I saw Nickleback (It was a festival, dont throw anything at me!), and the crowd was kinda heckling/booiing/indifferent to the point that the lead singer left the stage before the last song was over with a look of disgust on his face. it was about 95 degrees that day and everyone was waiting for the deftones and STP to come out.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,836
    I saw Sonic Youth warm up for PJ in 2000 at Mansfield Mass. and the audience was mostly indifferent to them and the place was barely a quarter full. I was thinking to myself that these people were missing this opportunity to hear this great band and did not understand what they were all about.

That's how a lot were at the NY State Fair in 2006 when i saw em open for the Flaming Lips.

Honestly, I am like a lot of people at these aforementioned shows that just thinks they're plain ol boring despite being critics' darlings. I'd never disrespect an act like that though.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    i went to summer sanitarium in Philly when it was mudvayne, deftones, linkin park, and limp bizkit all opening for metallica, limp bizkit had the unenviable task of going on right before metallica when it was hot and the people had been waiting for metallica for like 10 hours and when fred durst asked the crowd if they wanted to hear some new stuff everyone booed until they went on with their other crappy "hits" and got the hell off the stage so metallica could come on

i also heard at other stops on that tour it go so bad that limp bizkit had to end their sets early because all anyone did was boo until they were done
    9/1/2000 - E-Centre, Camden, 'Sometimes' started and I was hooked...
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I saw Weezer a few years back and Cold was opening. They got booed terribly and people threw stuff at them. They ended up quitting the tour.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Smashing Pumpkins at Manchester Evening News Arena this year. First 2/3 of the set was good -I quite like new album and was a mixture of old classics and new stuff which went down well. Last 1/3 Billy proceeded to fanny around with extended jams, that shite acoustic ep etc and atmosphere of half full venue went flat as anything. Finished with America (I think its called) off latest album which aint that good to start with and certainly isnt when dragged out for 15 minutes, then buggered off without an encore. The masses were not amused and those still left booed em off.
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    Days of the New opening for Metallica back in '98.
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    they weren't booing, they were saying boo-urns.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Seen a few PJ fans disrespecting Sleater-Kinney.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    i witnessed an audience mock an opening act pretty ruthlessly. but they deserved it...and i'm really embarassed to say who it was. :P

the best moment came when a member of this group yelled, "are you ready for our last song?" (poor choice of words on her part) and the audience shouted back with a resounding, "YES!"

good times.
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    they weren't booing, they were saying boo-urns.

I was saying boo-urns
  • Options
    I saw Marilyn Manson end his set early at the big day out festival in '99, after being hit by a full bottle thrown by some biker who didn't care for him and just wanted Metallica out, I wasn't happy as I was enjoying the show I mean were talking MA era Manson, top of his game, but there was quite a few fans booing and not feeling the Manson vibe.

Also when I saw Arcade Fire last year, most of the crowd were fairly indifferent to Wildlight and Clinic the opening bands, I was rocking out to Clinic quite a bit and the two people sat next to me wern't happy got up, went to the bar and didn't come back till just before Arcade Fire came on.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Gnarles Barkley opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and no one in Washington seemed interested whatsoever in them
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628

I saw Sonic Youth open for PJ at San Fran III in 06. Oddly enough this was a band people should have had standing ovations for before, during and after the gig. But strangely, the audience acted like they were seeing or hearing this band for the first time, and thought Sonic Youth's unconventional and unorthodox tunings and guitar noodlings were bizaare. I remember people booing, someone throwing trash on stage, and people louding saying "bring Pearl Jam on!". It was surreal. This was a band, that is and was a huge influence on PJ and the whole grunge scene, and they were being treated like some third rate lounge act. I was ashamed.

My first concert was Pearl Jam at Pittsburgh in 2000 when Sonic Youth was set to open.

Eddie came out to do a couple solo songs and announced that Kim and Thurston had to leave due to a family situation. I swear I heard a girl scream for joy at that moment.

I on the other hand was bummed that I didn't get to see all of Sonic Youth in action, though they were still quite good minus Kim and Thurston.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    One of the reasons I will never go to Summerfest again is because the crowd completely disrespects every opening act; ignoring them, yelling over them, booing, etc. Pearl Jam got treated that way when I saw them open for Tom Petty, and I was disgusted.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    yea, this happened at the RHCP show i went to in late 06 at the xcel center and mars volta were opening. I was 13th row, and i swear to god i was the only person standing on the floor. And funny thing is frusciante was side stage watching them. mars volta were insane. loved them.
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    soclose wrote:
    My first concert was Pearl Jam at Pittsburgh in 2000 when Sonic Youth was set to open.

Eddie came out to do a couple solo songs and announced that Kim and Thurston had to leave due to a family situation. I swear I heard a girl scream for joy at that moment.

I on the other hand was bummed that I didn't get to see all of Sonic Youth in action, though they were still quite good minus Kim and Thurston.
    Did Lee take over all the vocal duties?

That would be sweet. Easily the best voice in the band.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    I saw Marilyn Manson end his set early at the big day out festival in '99, after being hit by a full bottle thrown by some biker who didn't care for him and just wanted Metallica out, I wasn't happy as I was enjoying the show I mean were talking MA era Manson, top of his game, but there was quite a few fans booing and not feeling the Manson vibe.

Also when I saw Arcade Fire last year, most of the crowd were fairly indifferent to Wildlight and Clinic the opening bands, I was rocking out to Clinic quite a bit and the two people sat next to me wern't happy got up, went to the bar and didn't come back till just before Arcade Fire came on.

Clinic fan, awseome. Internal Wrangler is a classic.
  • Options
    To change things up, Kaiser Chiefs opened for Weezer and the Foo Fighters, and the crowd, largely unfamiliar with their work, were toally in love with them by the end of the show.
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Chris wrote:
    Smashing Pumpkins at Manchester Evening News Arena this year. First 2/3 of the set was good -I quite like new album and was a mixture of old classics and new stuff which went down well. Last 1/3 Billy proceeded to fanny around with extended jams, that shite acoustic ep etc and atmosphere of half full venue went flat as anything. Finished with America (I think its called) off latest album which aint that good to start with and certainly isnt when dragged out for 15 minutes, then buggered off without an encore. The masses were not amused and those still left booed em off.

Ha ha! I was at that gig and know exactly what you mean.
    The first 75% of the gig was great. Billy seemed on form, despite the fact that the place was embarrassingly half empty. There was even some chit-chat & banter with the crowd!!!
    But the longer the night went on, you could feel Billy's mood changing and always felt there was gonna be no encore.

On a brighter note, it worked out well for me. Had there been an encore, I'd have missed the last train home!!
    Every cloud...
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I've seen many, but don't remember. If they weren't cool enough to clap for, then they weren't cool enough to remember either.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    petrocs wrote:
    Gnarles Barkley opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and no one in Washington seemed interested whatsoever in them
    by "them", you mean the red hot ? :D

The opening act for pearl jam i nCopenhagen (2007) was the Futureheads"... it was terrible. Every song was the same and when they said "this is the last song", everybody was happy !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Dylan was booed the first time he played an Electric Guitar on stage.

q