Options

Joining the "hate them because they are popular" bandwagon!

Drifting AwayDrifting Away Posts: 270
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I love this new trend people have about bands who they dont like anymore
beacause "they have sold out and gone mainstream"

or they say "i used to like them before they were cool"

Is it cool to pretend to be in this underground image?

So if a band makes a good record, and a whole bunch of new fans are created, does that mean they sold out because they havent always been fans?

What is up with this trend anyways?
Run to the hills
run for your life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    obbleobble Posts: 49
    Couple of reasons

Generally, people love the idea of discovering things for themselves or being close to something. If you love something and everyone doesn't feel the same emotion towards this thing, the relationship seems more real.

This is especially true with music. Using Pearl Jam as an example: they are out of the mainstream enough that your love for them isn't going to be shared by everyone, meaning that you feel somewhat closer to them. Now I constantly try and promote Pearl Jam to my friends and am over the moon when I meet a fellow Pearl Jam fanatic. However, if they became the biggest band in the world and a little bopper from down the road comes and says "Have you heard this new group Pearl Jam", there is a perceived loss of personability. It is kind of like having your significant other cheating on you. Ask anyone on this forum what their favourite PJ song is and it is very unlikely that Daughter, Betterman or Last Kiss will be their answer. Reason? Because we all like something that is a little bit more individualised and therefore special to us. It really has nothing to do with selling out, we as humans just like to have something a bit more personal.

Selling out itself is abandoning your morals and beliefs in the quest for success. If a group becomes popular through their music, while staying true to themselves, there is nothing wrong with that. This is why so many of us love Pearl Jam. They have and will continue to achieve success through their own terms.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: NZ Leg Chieftain & Member No.6-+--+

**Drop the Leash on my Garden Porch, Downunder 06'**
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    What is up with this trend anyways?

people are stupid.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    I think it's pathetic.
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Chilli Peppers?

What about them?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    What about them?

They changed to acheive more success, therefore sold out imo.

I had a quote up there but didnt feel like bickerin with people so I took it down. Let the flaming start I suppose, but you dont go from extreme funk to whatever the hell it is that they play. I enjoy some Chilli Peppers songs, but people act like they are in the same league as PJ as far as commercial whoredom and they arent.

PJ is still in class A.
    The Chilli Peppers are an annual MVP candidate.
  • Options
    The problem isn't with the Chilli Peppers but with some Chilli Peppers "fans". It really pisses me off when documentaries of the Chilli Peppers have knob eds no-one even's heard of slagging off their earlier stuff.