Options

Today I start my rockin' weekend

barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Yeah, just wanted to share it. Though I'm tired as hell from work, today begins what promises to be a musical blessed weekend for me, it goes like this:

today I see Michael Nyman Band, which isn't exactly rock, he's kind of a symphonic composer that has made the music for many Peter Greenaway films and other flicks such as The Ogre and The Libertine, highly recommended if you like contemporary symphonic music
Friday - Manu Chao and his Radio Bemba Sound System, this guy just rocks live, though he's not that well known in the US he's very popular in Latin America, Europe, even Africa and Asia, he blends lots of rythms: ska, punk, gypsy music, arabic music, afrocaribbean music... it's not the same as when he was in Mano Negra but still rocks.
Saturday will be my free day
Then on Sunday... finally The fuckin' Rolling Stones, I've waited so long for this I almost can't believe is just a few days away.
And the closing will be on Monday with The Sisters of Mercy, the rock group, the pop group, the industrial groove machine... and the intellectual love gods. The Sisters are gonna be a blast, I'm sure, even if they haven't released any record since 1991.

then probably next thursday, if a friend gets press tickets, I'll be seeing Dream Theatre... I don't have high hopes on this gig, but I mean, it'd be free and if I get bored there's always the option to leave the venue and go straight to a good rockin' bar.
Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
-The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
although, God knows, I may not have met her"
-J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    the Stones will be awesome. I remember my first show and while in that stadium, during Ruby Tuesday, there was no other place in the world I would rather have been ( i kinda felt that way the other 2 times I saw 'em but the first is always special ).

I would be surprised if you hated Dream Theatre, at least from a music standpoint, they are incredible players.
  • Options
    wow, that's one hell of a concert weekend...

michael nyman should be interesting and i've seen manu chao... nice music to listen to at a summer festival... i personally wouldn't pay for one of his concerts though but i know lots of chicks who dig his music so maybe i would :D

the stones are the stones - enough said! (although i think their tickets are too expensive)

and the sisters of mercy should be great fun! don't forget your mascara :D

i'm also not too big on dream theatre but they're great musicians, gotta respect that...

considering the weather is pretty crappy here, i guess my weekend will be spent at home watching tv... errm, yeah, i'm a bit jealous...
    enjoy!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    going to boston to see dada. saturday.
  • Options
    I was gonna see Jeff Hanson with Shugo Tokumaru on Sunday and then John Scofield on Monday, but then had different shit come in place of them. I still regret not being able to go, would have been a "smooth" weekend, if you know what I mean. ;)

Have fun barcoach! Oh yeah, and that Soda Stereo stuff was awesome. I'm gonna go pick up an album of theirs for sure!!

Cheers.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Options
    Michael Nyman was really awesome, something just beautiful, he opened with some of the music to the movie Wonderland -which I haven't seen/hear- and it was impressive... his cello player should be in Apocalyptica, he spent the whole concert headbangin' like a mofo... and the best part is I had tickets for the up floor, but since the venue didn't sell out, they gave me a far better place... but, really Nyman and his band have a great mood to them, the brass section... man, they put on this sound that remind you of a wicked guitar....

So, later today comes Manu Chao... I agree, psy, his solo albums aren't half as good as when he was in Mano Negra, but I just love the feeling to his live performances, so much energy, he has a huge following here (which I don't like much, too leftish for my taste), the concert was announced two weeks ago, and the tickets by now are almost sold out -they had to open a new section, behind the stage, just like when PJ comes here-, I think he's a great performer, maybe less politics and more musical innovation would work for his good.

The Stones... man I'm dying to be there, I saw them like 8 years ago, was awesome.. but this time is gonna be even better, because the record they have now is their best in like 20 years.

Very curious to see what the Sisters of Mercy will do on stage, one has to respect Eldricht for keeping it up without releasing an album in more than a decade... and not becoming a nostalgia act.

No to disrespect Dream Theatre, I know how good they are at their instruments, but virtuosos just don't click with me... man, my uncle would kill me if he could read this... he's an awesome drummer quite deep into prog rock, and the man who first got me into music... but one has to grow apart.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    brain of c wrote:
    going to boston to see dada. saturday.

Dada is such a cool band... I'm planning on getting one of those boots they'll be releasing through disclive.com
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer