J Mascis has a new Band (kind of)

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
edited December 2005 in Other Music
I know there are some J fans out there so i figured i would post this for them. Rumors of this came up over the summer looks like it all came together.....

J Mascis Goes Stoner Rock With New Band

Rob Kleckner reports:

If you've ever thought to yourself, "J Mascis' guitar solos piss me off", well, maybe his drum solos will touch you in the right spot. The long-haired dude from the recently-reunited Dinosaur Jr. is now behind the kit in a new stoner rock band: Witch. Standing in front of J in Witch are Kyle Thomas of Feathers on vox, Asa Irons (also of Feathers) on guitar, and Mascis' longtime pal Dave Sweetapple on bass.

For those lacking faith in Mascis' ability to pull a reverse Dave Grohl, have no fear. He was originally the drummer in Deep Wound, his pre-Dino Jr. hardcore band with Lou Barlow, and has pounded the skins with people like Mike Watt, Epic Soundtracks, the Velvet Monkeys, and Gobblehoof, as well as on various Dinosaur Jr. records.

As for Feathers...why does that name sound familiar? Well, the eight-piece Vermont band bearing crazy mountain instruments like the dulcimer and the lap harp have been opening for quite a few big shots lately, like Sufjan Stevens, Smog, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, and, of course, Dinosaur Jr. They also guested on Devendra Banhart's Cripple Crow album (hey, who didn't?), and self-released an album last summer.

Witch's self-titled debut album, recorded with John Agnello (Dinosaur Jr., Son Volt, Screaming Trees) is due out on Tee Pee Records on March 7, 2006. The tracklist is short. This either means no bang for your buck or, more likely, lots and lots of solos. Check it out and don't let track three put you to sleep:

01 Changing
02 Seer
03 Rip Van Winkle
04 Hex
05 Hand of Glory
06 Black Saint

Additionally, a 7" will come out on January 10 as a split release between Tee Pee and the UK label Damaged Goods, featuring "Soul of Fire" and an early version of "Rip Van Winkle".

Witch will be opening for Dead Meadow at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City on Thursday, December 8. A gig at SXSW 2006 is also in the works.
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    intodeep wrote:
    Rob Kleckner reports...If you've ever thought to yourself, "J Mascis' guitar solos piss me off"

uh, nope, never have, never will :)
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    transplant wrote:
    uh, nope, never have, never will :)

neither me.
    A total guitar hero.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • haha, same here...
    i even like his voice...
    saw him with mike watt and the stooges and also with dinosaur jr. this summer... even if i don't care for some of the songs, his guitar playing is something else...
    i'll never get tired of his solos... i could listen to the version of "maggot brain" he did with watt on repeat for a whole day...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06