Options

Metallica worth seeing live?

IGotShit24IGotShit24 Posts: 68
edited November 2008 in Other Music
I passed on them at Bonnaroo in order to save energy for My Morning Jacket's late set. I have great seats to see them, but could also sell the tickets. I'm a casual fan and feel like I need to see them, but don't know if I want to that much. Anyone seen 'em this tour? What do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Go see them live. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but they do put on a good show. I was like you and didn't know whether is was worth seeing but I really enjoyed it and I'm going to see them again later this month.
  • Options
    Hell Yeah!

Metal Up Your Ass!!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I'm not a huge Metallica fan but I saw them three times already and they were great every time!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    omfg retarded question.

hell yeah man, seen them 3 times
  • Options
    F5F5 Posts: 791
    Just saw them Monday night here in Salt Lake. One word AWESOME! You can tell they're trying to make amends with fans by playing a longer set and giving stuff away. Definitily go!
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    Metallica puts on a stellar live show.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Metallica. AMAZING live band.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    I've seen them twice and they definitely didn't disappoint.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    hows the new stuff live?
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I just saw them on Monday night, it was my second time. I'm not nearly as big a Metallica fan as a lot of people, but I'm always impressed by their shows, they tear it up live.

The new stuff sounds good live, but I just don't prefer it in general, and they did play a good choice of their old songs, (Creeping Death, Disposable Heroes, Seek and Destroy...)

Go see it, it'll be worth it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Just saw them Monday night here in Salt Lake. One word AWESOME! You can tell they're trying to make amends with fans by playing a longer set and giving stuff away. Definitily go!

dude yeah, that show was awesome, my friend caught one of those black beach balls!!

ps. it's great to see some other Utah PJ fans in the pit!!!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    if you like any band, then it's worth checking them out live.
    I've seen Metallica 10 times already, between 86 and 96, and have tix for Birmingham and London next March :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    IGotShit24 wrote:
    I passed on them at Bonnaroo in order to save energy for My Morning Jacket's late set. I have great seats to see them, but could also sell the tickets. I'm a casual fan and feel like I need to see them, but don't know if I want to that much. Anyone seen 'em this tour? What do you think?

my buddy and i left their set early at Bonnaroo to get a good spot for MMJ.

what i saw was enough. after the first 5 songs we were bored.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Amazing live show don't pass it up, they will send you home without a voice and hard of hearing though.
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • Options
    Best live band around by far.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i say go for it & enjoy!!
  • Options
    Best live band around by far.

Wouldn't quite go that far for me.....BUT, I have seen them and definately enjoyed one hell of a show. It's impossible to not have fun at a Metallica concert unless you've got a major stick up your ***.

Go, by your 2nd beer in the middle of the first set you'll be having major fun.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    IGotShit24 wrote:

I saw them from a distance at Bonnaroo and they were incredible...then I raced back to my tent, grabbed some "stuff" and saw MMJ with a buddy in the pouring rain. Great fucking night. Now if I could only get my hands on one of those MMJ Bonnaroo Burwell prints that I passed on.

I wish I had friends that liked Metallica or I'd go see them in a heartbeat. I bought DM on vinyl, a shirt, and look forward to downloading the tracks off xbox live
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    IGotShit24 wrote:

oooooooh i would have def seen metallica instead. everytime i've seen them, they are GREAT. I personally havnt seen them this tour yet til december. The footage i have seen is pretty good though!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    oooooooh i would have def seen metallica instead. everytime i've seen them, they are GREAT. I personally havnt seen them this tour yet til december. The footage i have seen is pretty good though!
    That was actually my first time seeing them and it was fuckin' great. I tried to catch MMJ afterwards, but got there late, couldn't see and then it started raining. I went back to the camp about an hour and a half into their set.
    But, yes, Metallica kicked ass....although I had hoped they would debut a new song
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    They are one of the best live bands of all time.

For me they are neck and neck with PJ as far as putting on killer live shows. Metallica just adds a whole shit load of eye candy and set stuff too.

Kirk.... this guys is one bad motherfucker with a guitar
  • Options
    Im seeing them on the floor on Jan 29th and 31st.

GO SEE THEM.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Even when they put out shit albums they put on great live shows. They know what to play and more importantly what not to play.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Saw em at Ozz Fest this year (front row) and they were awsome. I'm going again tonight and I can't wait!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    They were fantastic as late as 2000. The Metallica show I saw that year is probably one of my top 5 or 10 concert experiences all time. The energy was unbelievable.

But I've seen them twice with Rob Trujillo and they definitely seem to have lost a few MPH off of their heater. Could be age, could've been the St. Anger material, the change in bass players, the stuff they were going thru as a band at the time...

All that said, if you haven't seen them, it's probably worth it. I will probably go if they hit Atlanta on the Death Magnetic tour.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Metallica is awesome live. These guys live on the road.
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    Great fucking live band, seen them numerous times and don't really care for the albums though this new one is great. Looking forward to hearing the new songs live.