Options

Neutral Milk Hotel

jocelynjocelyn Posts: 67
edited December 2005 in Other Music
My little brother gave me one of their CDs for Christmas...I really like it.

Has anyone ever heard of these guys? The music is sort of old Beck with many layers of instruments and bizzare and haunting lyrics.

It's so hard to find new bands sometimes...thank goodness for my brother.
"I can only be as good as you'll let me."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    In an Airplane Over the Sea is a great record...and Avery Island is solid as well.

Hmm...haven't listened to either of those in awhile, i think it's time.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    first chords of Aeroplane just came on the stereo as I opened this...

uh anyway... ;)

It's fantastic...don't hear much Beck, but...it's great. Er..."it" being Aeroplane...I'm not the hugest fan of On Avery Island but I admittedly dont own it (blush) and Ive only heard it through once.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Aeroplane is pretty much one of the best albums of the 90's. A lo-fi pop masterpiece.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Just getting into them, myself. I'm really digging the folky sound.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Echoes wrote:
    Aeroplane is pretty much one of the best albums of the 90's. A lo-fi pop masterpiece.

i just downloaded a few of the songs and this is def an album i am gonna buy! thank for the recommendation.

there was an episode of iconaclasts on the sundance channel(the only one i saw) w/ michael stipe and some chef from the food network...mario something, anyway michael stipe buys him a bunch of cds at the end and one of them is neutral milk hotel
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Yeah, Stipe really digs NMH. He asked them to open for REM once, but Jeff Mangum politely refused. I believe the Olivia Tremor Control opened up instead.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Echoes wrote:
    Yeah, Stipe really digs NMH. He asked them to open for REM once, but Jeff Mangum politely refused. I believe the Olivia Tremor Control opened up instead.

do you know what Circulatory System's like?
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way