Options

Rolling Stone Magazine and The Rolling Stones

The DarknessThe Darkness Posts: 41
edited April 2007 in Other Music
What's the deal here? In the time I've been reading Rolling Stone, since 1988, I've never seen this magazine give lower than a 4 star review to a new Rolling Stones studio album or live album. In 2001, they even went so far as to give Mick Jaggers solo album, Goddess in the Doorway, a 5 star review. A Bigger Bang, in 2005, got 4.5 stars. Now, I'm not one of those people who thinks that The Stones suck, but the album reviews they get in this magazine seem ridiculously high compared to what other magazines give them.

Is it because Rolling Stone really, really likes the Rolling Stones?
Does Jann S Wenner have a personal friendship with one or all of the Stones, so never gives them a bad review?
Are the Rolling Stones part owners of Rolling Stone magazine?

Seriously, what's the deal here? I know I'm not the only one to notice this.
I've got to admit, it's getting better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i was actually wondering the other week what the relation between their names is...
  • Options
    The truth is...

* The band has no connection with the magazine. Back in 1960-something, when the guy who founded the magazine was getting started (can't remember his name), he named it Rolling Stone to honor the band he felt was the embodiment of rock n' roll.

* The magazine has given those albums good reviews because frankly, they are good. I haven't listened to Goddess in the Doorway enough to vouch for it (though I do own it). But, the Rolling Stones haven't made a bad album since 1986's "Dirty Work," which was utter garbage. "A Bigger Bang" is a fantastic record. I think I listened to it in my car for about 2 straight weeks when it came out, and it still finds its way to my cd player frequently.

It is real good from start to finish, with 6 or 7 really great songs. I personally love "Rough Justice," "It Won't Take Long," "Streets of Love," "Dangerous Beauty," "Rain Fall Down," and "Let Me Down Slow"

Edit: I feel inspired to throw it on now...
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    A Bigger Bang, in 2005, got 4.5 stars. Now, I'm not one of those people who thinks that The Stones suck, but the album reviews they get in this magazine seem ridiculously high compared to what other magazines give them.

All the reviews I read of "A Bigger Bang" and "Voodoo Lounge" were positive. I do remember the reviews were mixed for "Bridges to Babylon." But ( and I am not making this up) I believe it was Spin that started its review with "Now I've ever listened to a Rolling Stones album in my life..."

I, and everyone I have talked with about the subject, love that record. It had a few dance-type songs here and there, but a lot of Stones albums do. I have no problem considering "Saint of Me," and "Out of Control" among their best songs. A decade later (Lord, time flies) I still enjoy the cd.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    The truth is...

* The band has no connection with the magazine. Back in 1960-something, when the guy who founded the magazine was getting started (can't remember his name), he named it Rolling Stone to honor the band he felt was the embodiment of rock n' roll.

It's actually named after the Bob Dylan song, Like a Rolling Stone, I believe.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yosi wrote:

i believe that also. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    yosi wrote:

In 1994 (year may not be 100% correct) The Rolling Stones were playing at the MTV awards, and they were introduced by the founder of the magazine. I think he said something to the effect of "I love them so much I named my magazine after them."
    I love my female wife...
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    In 1994 (year may not be 100% correct) The Rolling Stones were playing at the MTV awards, and they were introduced by the founder of the magazine. I think he said something to the effect of "I love them so much I named my magazine after them."

just cause jann wenner said it doesnt make it so. it was an awards show afterall. ;):D though it is possible. and who would know better than the founder.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mookie dmookie d Posts: 43
    jim derogatis (sp?) claims he was fired for giving hootie and the blowfish a shitty review not long after they appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone and in his book (i can't remember the name of it) claims that the Stones among others are essentially untouchable and commonly referred to as 'friends of Jann.'
    my love for you is ticking clock BERZERKER! would you like some making fuck BERZERKER?!

why will you take by force what you may have quietly by love? - Powhatan
  • Options
    jann wenner is a sexist mysogynistic jerk.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,645

Examples of this bold statment.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,645

Examples of this bold statment or is this something from like the indigo girls?

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options

:rolleyes: are you sure? What kind of name is Jann for a man?? :p
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Jann is a homosexual.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    ha ha. who cares, the rolling stones should wipe their asses with rolling stone just as ed did here. lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~