Options

The 'I'm Too Scared to go into "the Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread" Thread'

2»

Comments

• Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I'm there :cool:
    Cool :cool:

How do you say stop smoking in coventry?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Cool :cool:

How do you say stop smoking in coventry?

Me personally?

"Quit smokin' yer dirty bassted! You bluddy stink an' it's bad for yer 'ealth innit!"

:D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    actually... you're in a wheelchair and you have other disabilites... at what time in your life did you think "ooh i know.. i'll start smoking, that'll help"

:confused: to the power 394723905

:p

I believe I've already talked about the reasons why I took up smoking and why I'm now finding it very difficult to stop... can I point you to the search function? I'll make it simple for you. I've had the worst year of my life this year and the end of last. In January, at my worst, a very kind friend offered me a smoke and I found it greatly relaxed me. It was a lifeline... and I gave no thought to the fact it was destructive... oblivion was a desirable prospect at the time. That has changed, but the smoking hasn't.

And to refer to my other disabilities is totally irrelevant... my smoking has absolutely no bearing on them. I have a right to smoke just as you have the right to repeatedly get 'blootered'.

And by the way... none of my life decisions are based on me needing help of any kind :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    And to refer to my other disabilities is totally irrelevant... my smoking has absolutely no bearing on them. I have a right to smoke just as you have the right to repeatedly get 'blootered'.
    This should extend to any one who judges any one for any chemical vice when he himself enjoy the devil's drink.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I believe I've already talked about the reasons why I took up smoking and why I'm now finding it very difficult to stop... can I point you to the search function? I'll make it simple for you. I've had the worst year of my life this year and the end of last. In January, at my worst, a very kind friend offered me a smoke and I found it greatly relaxed me. It was a lifeline... and I gave no thought to the fact it was destructive... oblivion was a desirable prospect at the time. That has changed, but the smoking hasn't.

And by the way... none of my life decisions are based on me needing help of any kind :)

yeah i know where the search funtion is Mark... but searching 'cigarettes' brings up a lot of shit... and i'm not searching through all your posts, not knowing when you posted it, just to find that one that maybe explains why you smoke? I'll just ask... much easier.

of course you have the right to smoke... but considering you have enough on your plate i was wondering at what point you thought the addition of smoking might be beneficial to you? and of course smoking has a bearing on your disabilites... smoking can affect respiratory functions, it can also clog veins, you know the rest... but i understand smoking can actually put fit people into a wheelchair so i'd ahte to think what it might do to yourself... its worrying... but i see you got angry in your rebuttal... so i'm outski... good luck :)

cant remember when i was last 'blootered' but i get drunk, on occasion... not repeatedly.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    This should extend to any one who judges any one for any chemical vice when he himself enjoy the devil's drink.

alcohol in moderation has been proven to be a health benefit...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    yeah i know where the search funtion is Mark... but searching 'cigarettes' brings up a lot of shit... and i'm not searching through all your posts, not knowing when you posted it, just to find that one that maybe explains why you smoke? I'll just ask... much easier.

of course you have the right to smoke... but considering you have enough on your plate i was wondering at what point you thought the addition of smoking might be beneficial to you? and of course smoking has a bearing on your disabilites... smoking can affect respiratory functions, it can also clog veins, you know the rest... but i understand smoking can actually put fit people into a wheelchair so i'd ahte to think what it might do to yourself... its worrying... but i see you got angry in your rebuttal... so i'm outski... good luck :)

cant remember when i was last 'blootered' but i get drunk, on occasion... not repeatedly.

Don't assume I am angry just because I answered your question and came back to your objections.. that's just adult discussion. It's a strange thing that anyone with a disability who engages in discussion about it is considered 'angry'.

My smoking is as dangerous to me as it is to someone with dyslexia, that's my only point. My disability has nothing to do with my respiratory system, or my veins, or lungs, or anything connected to smoking... that's why your referring to my disability is irrelevant to my discussion.

I don't see my disability as another thing 'on my plate'.. if you do, that's your decision. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    dunkman wrote:
    alcohol in moderation has been proven to be a health benefit...
    Beneficial to your heart but still damaging to your liver, right?

Besides, how many actually subscribe to the idea of drinking in moderation? As far as my own experience goes, my drinking has probably been more harmful to my health than smoking, although I never smoked massively, and the negative consequences for other people have been certainly more plentiful. I've never been a prick to anyone I cared about because of smoking :)

My point is, judge not lest you be judged yourself, yadda yadda blah di blah and so on and so forth :p

Unless someone can honestly put their hand on their heart and say they have only ever drank alcohol as a beverage and not as an intoxicant, they don't really have a right to get sanctimonious.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Unless someone can honestly put their hand on their heart and say they have only ever drank alcohol as a beverage and not as an intoxicant, they don't really have a right to get sanctimonious.
    What if they've given up alcohol as an intoxicant and now only drink it as a beverage?
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Beneficial to your heart but still damaging to your liver, right?

Besides, how many actually subscribe to the idea of drinking in moderation? As far as my own experience goes, my drinking has probably been more harmful to my health than smoking, although I never smoked massively, and the negative consequences for other people have been certainly more plentiful. I've never been a prick to anyone I cared about because of smoking :)

My point is, judge not lest you be judged yourself, yadda yadda blah di blah and so on and so forth :p

the liver is a regenerative organ, the lungs and the heart arent... are you really going to argue with me that someone who drinks red wine at the weekends is doing more harm than someone who is addicted to smoking? thats like arguing fallout out boy are a great live band.

i dont compound my issues by taking up drinking is the difference... i've always drank alcohol... but if i didnt have the full function of my own legs then i doubt i'd take up binge drinking at age 28, seeing as how that might affect me and my disability, my health and the emotions of people around me. It can hardly be equated to a 34 year old man drinking a bottle of red wine on a friday night. thats about 6 units of alcohol.. my liver copes fine.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    the liver is a regenerative organ, the lungs and the heart arent... are you really going to argue with me that someone who drinks red wine at the weekends is doing more harm than someone who is addicted to smoking? thats like arguing fallout out boy are a great live band.

i dont compound my issues by taking up drinking is the difference... i've always drank alcohol... but if i didnt have the full function of my own legs then i doubt i'd take up binge drinking at age 28, seeing as how that might affect me and my disability, my health and the emotions of people around me. It can hardly be equated to a 34 year old man drinking a bottle of red wine on a friday night. thats about 6 units of alcohol.. my liver copes fine.

What difference does it make that I don't have full function of my own legs? I mean seriously?

• Options
    Don't assume I am angry just because I answered your question and came back to your objections.. that's just adult discussion. It's a strange thing that anyone with a disability who engages in discussion about it is considered 'angry'.

My smoking is as dangerous to me as it is to someone with dyslexia, that's my only point. My disability has nothing to do with my respiratory system, or my veins, or lungs, or anything connected to smoking... that's why your referring to my disability is irrelevant to my discussion.

I don't see my disability as another thing 'on my plate'.. if you do, that's your decision. :)

i know you got pissed off, i didnt assume... it was the 'search function' comment that gave you away... its classic pit rage symptoms.

as you are disabled and therefore your legs will not have the same muscle tone as someone who is able bodied? is that fair to say? just that smoking affects the muscle tissue in the body... so if it affects yours when they are already weak then surely thats a direct health concern attributable to your disability?

i would have thought your disability was a concern to you in relation to your 'health', i mean does your disability cause you any health concerns? i'm sure you've said in the past that it did? and obviously smoking affects your health... thats why i said it would be another thing on your plate... health wise.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    What if they've given up alcohol as an intoxicant and now only drink it as a beverage?
    Then they definitely don't have the right to get sanctimonious. If they've been there, done that, made a conscious decision to be healthier then that's great. They did act differently once though so they shouldn't really be a hypocrite about it.

Quitting something so you can judge people about it is kind of an unpleasant character trait. By all means inform someone about the health risks, especially if you have first hand experience. Maybe just suspend judgement on a person's reasons for doing it. I just find it really annoying when drunken people come out to the smoking area in pubs and clubs and turn up their nose at the smokers and say stuff like "I want some fresh air but it's horrible out here, fucking smokers..."

No smoker ever got aggressive and then puked on me because of it.

Ps, I'm not anti-alcohol. I drink heavily :)
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

I wouldn't argue that a person who drinks red wine at the weekend is doing more HARM than someone who is addicted to smoking, I would just argue that if they are drinking it for any reason other than refreshment, they're in no position to judge anyone :)
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i know you got pissed off, i didnt assume... it was the 'search function' comment that gave you away... its classic pit rage symptoms.

as you are disabled and therefore your legs will not have the same muscle tone as someone who is able bodied? is that fair to say? just that smoking affects the muscle tissue in the body... so if it affects yours when they are already weak then surely thats a direct health concern attributable to your disability?

i would have thought your disability was a concern to you in relation to your 'health', i mean does your disability cause you any health concerns? i'm sure you've said in the past that it did? and obviously smoking affects your health... thats why i said it would be another thing on your plate... health wise.

I didn't get angry, and I'm still not.. but we'll leave that alone ;)

This is all about how you view the word 'health', I guess.. but that would be getting into disability philosophy wouldn't it? Dare we go down that road? :D

In short, I have a spinal disability from birth which is a 'stable disability' in the sense that it will not worsen, or get better. There is no cure, but because I've had it from birth, I've not known life any different, so do not see anyone without a disability as having an advantage over me.

As far as my daily health goes, it's pretty much exactly the same as any other guy my age. I don't have any 'health problems'. If I have any, they're nothing to do with muscle function.. that's been the same all my life.

• Options
    In short, I have a spinal disability from birth which is a 'stable disability' in the sense that it will not worsen, or get better. There is no cure, but because I've had it from birth, I've not known life any different, so do not see anyone without a disability as having an advantage over me.

As far as my daily health goes, it's pretty much exactly the same as any other guy my age. I don't have any 'health problems'. If I have any, they're nothing to do with muscle function.. that's been the same all my life.

i know you dont see it as anyone has an advantage over you, but then blind people from birth probably think the same... give them a chance of life with sight and they'd take it.. well the majority most likely would... just as if someone with a disability from birth was given the chance to be able to be able bodied dont you think many people would? ok you maybe wouldnt but many others would? no?

anyway, your own fucking signature is telling you i'm right ;):p
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i know you dont see it as anyone has an advantage over you, but then blind people from birth probably think the same... give them a chance of life with sight and they'd take it.. well the majority most likely would... just as if someone with a disability from birth was given the chance to be able to be able bodied dont you think many people would? ok you maybe wouldnt but many others would? no?

Hmm.. some, yes. But I've met a lot of people with disabilities and they've all said (all but one) they wouldn't change it for the world. But most able-bodied people tend to not believe me when I say that this a majority feeling for those with disabilities they've had from birth.

There's an understandable, but annoying, tendency for able-bodied people to 'worry' about disabled people because they somehow lack something. I've never experience the 'joy of walking' of which you speak. To me it's akin to the joy of climbing a mountain. It must be an amazing buzz for those that enjoy it, but if everyone needed to feel the buzz, we'd all be mountaineers :)