Options

U.S. snipers accused of 'baiting' Iraqis

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited September 2007 in A Moving Train
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070925/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_iraq_snipers

WASHINGTON - Army snipers hunting insurgents in Iraq were under orders to "bait" their targets with suspicious materials, such as detonation cords, and then kill whoever picked up the items, according to the defense attorney for a soldier accused of planting evidence on an Iraqi he killed. Gary Myers, an attorney for Sgt. Evan Vela, said his client had acted "pursuant to orders."
ADVERTISEMENT

"We believe that our client has done nothing more than he was instructed to do by superiors," Myers said in a telephone interview.

Myers and Vela's father, Curtis Carnahan of Idaho Falls, Idaho, said in separate interviews that sworn statements and testimony in the cases of two other accused Ranger snipers indicate that the Army has a classified program that encourages snipers to "bait" potential targets and then kill whoever takes the bait.

The Army on Monday declined to confirm such a program exists.

"To prevent the enemy from learning about our tactics, techniques and training procedures, we don't discuss specific methods targeting enemy combatants," said Paul Boyce, an Army spokesman.

Boyce also said there are no classified programs that authorize the murder of Iraqi civilians or the use of "drop weapons" to make killings appeared to be legally justified, which is what Vela and the two other snipers are accused of doing.

The transcript of a court hearing for two of the three accused snipers makes several references to the existence of a classified "baiting" program but provides few details of how it works. A copy of the transcript was provided to The Associated Press by Vela's father.

The Washington Post, which first reported the existence of the "baiting" program, cited the sworn statement of Capt. Matthew P. Didier, the leader of a Ranger sniper scout platoon.

"Baiting is putting an object out there that we know they will use, with the intention of destroying the enemy," Didier said in the statement. "Basically, we would put an item out there and watch it. If someone found the item, picked it up and attempted to leave with the item, we would engage the individual as I saw this as a sign they would use the item against U.S. forces."

The Post said the program was devised by the Army's Asymmetric Warfare Group, which advises commanders on more effective methods in today's unconventional conflicts, including ways to combat roadside bombs.

Within months of the "baiting" program's introduction, three snipers in Didier's platoon were charged with murder for allegedly using those items and others to make shootings seem legitimate, according to the Post.

The Post said that although it doesn't appear that the three alleged shootings were specifically part of the classified program, defense attorneys argue that the program may have encouraged them by blurring the legal lines in a complex war zone.

The court martial of one of the accused soldiers, Spec. Jorge Sandoval Jr., is scheduled to begin in Baghdad on Wednesday. Also facing premeditated murder charges are Vela and Staff Sgt. Michael Hensley.

They are part of the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, based at Fort Richardson, Alaska.

This is the best thing we could come with? Something that's a shitty plan, at best?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I am surprised they don't have that carnival music playing as they are taking their potshots.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    I am surprised they don't have that carnival music playing as they are taking their potshots.

You never know! Ipods carry a lot of music
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    I saw this some time ago and thoght of posting it wondering if anyone would care.

I wonder if a child went up to pick up this bait will they still take that shot and at what age is the cut off point? That's even if they have one, such is the sad state of war.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    aaah...winning the hearts and minds...

nice work, indeed....
  • Options
    In a war where you can't tell friend from foe, this is pretty smart methodology. IMO
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    In a war where you can't tell friend from foe, this is pretty smart methodology. IMO

What do they do in the case of a child if this is so smart?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741

excellent point...

I say we should kill every man, women, and child....you never know, they could be a freedom hatin' tar-or-ist...

right, killer...?
  • Options
    the article doesn't seem to make it clear if they are planting evidence to cover up there fuckups or just trying to lure out other insurgents. Two very different things.

Anyway, get your heads out of your asses and realize they are in a war. A soldier in battle will do a helluva lot more unsavory things than 'baiting' a corpse. War is hell.

If some random guy went searching a body looking for bomb equipment, I'd say its certainly possible he's wants to use it.

I doubt they blow away people without prejudice. Its just a battlefield tactic. Why would a kid run up and grab a detonator and run off with it? Do you think most American snipers would still pull the trigger if one did?
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    What do they do in the case of a child if this is so smart?

Peace

Good point. No child has ever been a soldier. Surely noone would use children as shields or weapons or soldiers. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Good point. No child has ever been a soldier. Surely noone would use children as shields or weapons or soldiers. ;)

Then in that case we can just shoot anyone who moves or gets in the line of fire including our own troops or Iraqi military police. Yeah real brilliant idea.

.....But then again the US must win this war on terror at all cost cause they'll come here next. :rolleyes:

Peace

• Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917

I agree. Which is why we have to leave. Our military presence is the cause.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    the article doesn't seem to make it clear if they are planting evidence to cover up there fuckups or just trying to lure out other insurgents. Two very different things.

Anyway, get your heads out of your asses and realize they are in a war. A soldier in battle will do a helluva lot more unsavory things than 'baiting' a corpse. War is hell.

If some random guy went searching a body looking for bomb equipment, I'd say its certainly possible he's wants to use it.

I doubt they blow away people without prejudice. Its just a battlefield tactic. Why would a kid run up and grab a detonator and run off with it? Do you think most American snipers would still pull the trigger if one did?

actually, in the article it says they lay out items that could be used to create IEDs. anyone that attempts to pick up an item and leave are taken down. Now, there's all kind of shit that could happen besides some asshole wanting to leave with the items to make a bomb. I think it's a poor plan and with the technology and experience of our army, we would be able to come up with better alternatives to this.
  • Options
    actually, in the article it says they lay out items that could be used to create IEDs. anyone that attempts to pick up an item and leave are taken down. Now, there's all kind of shit that could happen besides some asshole wanting to leave with the items to make a bomb. I think it's a poor plan and with the technology and experience of our army, we would be able to come up with better alternatives to this.

I gather in these desparate times, desparate measures are used another reason we should really leave.

Peace

• Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792

Yeah b/c all Iraqi's born with knowledge of bomb part. What if its someone who doesnt know what it is and thinks that if they return it to the US military they will get an award? Amazing how worthless life has become.
  • Options
    There is so much info about this case not in the article. I'm curious to find out all the facts, but as usual I'm sure we will never really know.

I have a cousin who is a Marine. Thankfully made it home in one piece. Some of the stories he tells about what we hear vs what actually happens make me jaded with any news story I hear like this.
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
  • Options
    Boss302 wrote:
    There is so much info about this case not in the article. I'm curious to find out all the facts, but as usual I'm sure we will never really know.

exactly. this article isn't much to go on. Yet everyone starts screaming about babykilling snipers from hell.
  • Options
    When you are stuck on the other side of the world for years away from your family and people are trying to FUCKING KILL YOU, a person may not have the luxury of psycho-analyzing every guy that picks up bomb equipment. In a part of the world where anyone can be your enemy, After awhile, I'm sure survival trumps morality.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

yeah this war shouldn't have happened, but if you are in a war you do what it takes to make it through. Innocent people get killed in war. thats why war is horrible and why it should only be a last resort option.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    When you are stuck on the other side of the world for years away from your family and people are trying to FUCKING KILL YOU, a person may not have the luxury of psycho-analyzing every guy that picks up bomb equipment. In a part of the world where anyone can be your enemy, After awhile, I'm sure survival trumps morality.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
    Innocent people get killed in war. thats why war is horrible and why it should only be a last resort option.

I'm not saying you should scope out, follow, get background information on every fucking body, but it's already been mentioned that people could pick this shit up, thinking that they could go turn it in to the nearest authorities for a reward or they want to turn it in just so their country can be a little bit safer. No I seriously fucking doubt the army passes out fliers to tell innocent people not to touch this shit because you'll get shot by a sniper. So possible allies pcik the shit up, go to turn it in and get dropped.

Innocent people get killed in war. thats why war is horrible and why it should only be a last resort option.

And that is the biggest bullshit excuse to justify stupid shit that shouldn't happen.
  • Options
    I'm not saying you should scope out, follow, get background information on every fucking body, but it's already been mentioned that people could pick this shit up, thinking that they could go turn it in to the nearest authorities for a reward or they want to turn it in just so their country can be a little bit safer. No I seriously fucking doubt the army passes out fliers to tell innocent people not to touch this shit because you'll get shot by a sniper. So possible allies pcik the shit up, go to turn it in and get dropped.

where in the hell are you getting this information?
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    where in the hell are you getting this information?

when I said mentioned, I mentioned by another poster. It said that nowhere in the article. Sorry for the confusion
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    If this is true, it is in response to the low morale, created by war protesters and poll numbers that do not show support for the effort.

(Just to clear it up, I live on Planet Sarcasm)
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.