Options

Another one of Driftin's pals

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited January 2008 in A Moving Train
man, can you say jackass???

New Colorado Legislator Kicks News Photographer

Published: January 15, 2008 12:30 PM ET

DENVER Anti-tax crusader Douglas Bruce kicked a newspaper photographer and was then sworn in as a state representative yesterday, but not while the House was in session, as he had demanded.

Bruce, a Republican, backed down in his standoff with Democratic House Speaker Andrew Romanoff and members of his own party over Bruce's insistence that the full House attend when he was sworn in to fill a vacant seat.

He settled for a smaller ceremony when the House was not in session, which is standard practice for midterm appointees.

Carrying a family Bible, Bruce went to the House floor yesterday morning as a guest of state Rep. Kent Lambert, a fellow Colorado Springs Republican.

When Rocky Mountain News photographer Javier Manzano took his photo during the traditional morning prayer, Bruce, who was standing, brought the sole of his shoe down hard on the photographer's bent knee.

"Don't do that again," Bruce told Manzano.

Later, Bruce refused to apologize.

"I think that's the most offensive thing I've seen a photographer do in 21 years," he said. "If people are going to cause a disruption during a public prayer, they should be called for it. He owes an apology to the House and the public."

Rocky Mountain News Editor John Temple said the photographer had a right to take Bruce's picture. Temple said he would discuss the incident with House leadership.

"The House floor is a place where journalists are allowed to operate. It's outrageous for Mr. Bruce in a public place to assault a photographer," Temple said.

Bruce, best know as the author of a tax-limiting amendment to the state Constitution, was chosen by El Paso County Republicans last month to fill an unexpired term. He delayed his swearing-in until yesterday, five days after the session started. That allowed him to take advantage of a loophole in state term limits that would allow him to serve eight more years instead of six.

But it also irritated Romanoff, who said Bruce should have taken the oath sooner. Romanoff said he would introduce legislation setting a deadline for midterm newcomers to take the oath.

Bruce said he had done nothing wrong and demanded that he be allowed to take the oath of office with the House in session. "It will not be a proceeding in secret," he vowed last week.

Romanoff refused, saying he wouldn't delay House business "to indulge anyone's vanity." A swearing-in while the House is in session would have caused a delay of about 15 minutes.

Bruce finally gave in after members of his own party threatened to start the process of replacing him if he didn't take the oath yesterday.
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    why are you tying this guy to me, now?

Just cause it says "anti-tax" up there?
    :rolleyes:

not very fair.
    :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    why are you tying this guy to me, now?

Just cause it says "anti-tax" up there?
    :rolleyes:

not very fair.
    :(

I bet you would've voted for him based on the "anti-tax" thing alone.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    "anti tax crusader?" Anarchist?

Guy seems like a dick really not sure what that has to do with anything.

I do like it when people do pay attention to the 10th amendment though.

Does that make me a bad person because I like small federal governments?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    dude seems angry.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    He thinks the photographer needs to apologze to the State for taking a picture of him, a public representative?

Where do these guys come from?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Rep. D.Bruce (R)Col. - "I think that's the most offensive thing I've seen a photographer do in 21 years. If people are going to cause a disruption during a public prayer, they should be called for it. He owes an apology to the House and the public."
    J.Christ (Son of God)Heaven - "When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
    But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you."
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!