US troops' Iraq rape victim 'was girl of 14'

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1002642006

FIVE US soldiers were charged in a rape and multiple murder case that has outraged Iraqis, as evidence emerged that the rape victim was only 14, not over 20 as US officials had said.

Days after a former private, Steven Green, was charged as a civilian in a US court with rape and four murders, four serving soldiers were charged with the same offences.

Another soldier was charged on Saturday with dereliction of duty for not reporting the crime in March. All five were charged with conspiring with Green who is accused of killing a couple and their two daughters. Court documents gave the raped daughter's estimated age as 25, though US military officials in Iraq say their documents have her as 20.

Her identity card and death certificate, however, show she was 14. Local officials and relatives had said she was 15 or 16.
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Doesn't fucking matter...it's sick regardless of her age.

Funny how this story is almost th eonly 'news' story on MTVnews.com by the way...Hahaha they crack me up there.

Fucking sick, no need to try and make it seem any worse...it's as bad as it can get no matter the age. Makes me sick.

Abook..going to answer this one? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Doesn't fucking matter...it's sick regardless of her age.

Funny how this story is almost th eonly 'news' story on MTVnews.com by the way...Hahaha they crack me up there.

Fucking sick, no need to try and make it seem any worse...it's as bad as it can get no matter the age. Makes me sick.

Don't fret sweetie, I see you and I'm still here. ;)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Doesn't fucking matter...it's sick regardless of her age.

Who would have thought that MTV news would go from being possibly the best news team in the galaxy to the dribble they report on now. Tears on keyboard, must go now......
    El_Kabong wrote:
    http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1002642006

FIVE US soldiers were charged in a rape and multiple murder case that has outraged Iraqis, as evidence emerged that the rape victim was only 14, not over 20 as US officials had said.

Days after a former private, Steven Green, was charged as a civilian in a US court with rape and four murders, four serving soldiers were charged with the same offences.

Another soldier was charged on Saturday with dereliction of duty for not reporting the crime in March. All five were charged with conspiring with Green who is accused of killing a couple and their two daughters. Court documents gave the raped daughter's estimated age as 25, though US military officials in Iraq say their documents have her as 20.

Her identity card and death certificate, however, show she was 14. Local officials and relatives had said she was 15 or 16.

I am amazed at the depravity humans can inflict on each other and other species. For every good person in this world there seems to be an equally evil person to balance it out.
    Who would have thought that MTV news would go from being possibly the best news team in the galaxy to the dribble they report on now. Tears on keyboard, must go now......

Yeah, just an aside that I noticed. But seriously, this is sick and it doesn't matter how old the girl was, or if she had facial hair or was nicely groomed, or whether or not she has junk in the trunk...it sick and sad. No excuse, even the terror of war is no excuse.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Don't fret sweetie, I see you and I'm still here. ;)

Of course you are...joined at the hip. ;) Just messin', I hop eyou are both having a wonderful Monday.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    so what is the point of this thread (given there are several already like it)? please be direct in expressing your opinions.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
  • Of course you are...joined at the hip. ;) Just messin', I hop eyou are both having a wonderful Monday.

just messin'? what was this about 'truth in humor'? you've hurt my feeling. ;)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    so what is the point of this thread (given there are several already like it)? please be direct in expressing your opinions.

I took the thread as pointing out that this savage attack actually is more horrible as more news is released. Not that a 20 year old woman would be less horrific, just that any crime involving a child hits my solar plexis a little harder.
    just messin'? what was this about 'truth in humor'? you've hurt my feeling. ;)

Damn I always forget the female's ability to remember a comment and bring it up at the worst time. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Damn I always forget the female's ability to remember a comment and bring it up at the worst time. ;)

gotta keep ya on your toes. ;)

-Oscar Wilde
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I took the thread as pointing out that this savage attack actually is more horrible as more news is released. Not that a 20 year old woman would be less horrific, just that any crime involving a child hits my solar plexis a little harder.

Me, too. Maybe they shouldn't but violent crimes against children put me in a rage. I hope the worst for any of these guys convicted in this crime. I hope they all get treated to the standard child molster's life in prison. No mercy.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    this thing is a mess...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/11/iraq.main.0745/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

U.S. slams 'dead soldiers' video

Killing of soldiers linked with alleged rape of Iraqi female

Tuesday, July 11, 2006; Posted: 9:59 a.m. EDT (13:59 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. military has condemned the posting of video by Islamic Web sites purportedly showing the bodies of two U.S. soldiers kidnapped and killed last month south of Baghdad.

A statement by the U.S.-led coalition on Tuesday attacked "the release of the video in the strongest of terms; it demonstrates the barbaric and brutal nature of the terrorists and their complete disregard for human life."

"Coalition Forces remain resolute in our in commitment to catch the perpetrators of this crime and bring them to justice."

The video, posted Monday, also came with a statement that linked the killings of the soldiers with the alleged rape of an Iraqi female in March.

CNN cannot independently authenticate the video, which does not show the actual killings of the soldiers.

"This video is issued and presented as a revenge for our sister who was dishonored by one of the soldiers of the same brigade that these two soldiers belonged to," reads the statement posted along with the video.

Five soldiers and one former soldier from the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division have been charged in connection with the killings in Mahmoudiya of an Iraqi family and the alleged rape of one member of that family, who was also killed. (Full story)

The two soldiers who were kidnapped and killed in Yusufiya were also members of that regiment. The U.S. military has said that there is no evidence linking the two incidents, however.

The video begins with a printed statement -- "The Media Committee of the Shura Mujahedeen Council in Iraq presents the two bodies of the two Americans who were kidnapped near Yusufiya" -- followed by a still photograph of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, with bin Laden's voice in a statement released earlier this year.

After an Arabic song that encourages revenge, the video shifts to graphic images of the dead soldiers, one of whom has been beheaded.

The voice of Abu Musab al Zarqawi -- the al Qaeda in Iraq leader killed June 7 in a U.S. air strike -- speaks over the video, also from an earlier statement. A photograph of Zarqawi appears in one corner, and the logo of his group appears in another corner.

The two soldiers, Pfc. Kristian Menchaca and Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker, were kidnapped June 16 in an attack on a checkpoint in Yusufiya, south of Baghdad. A tip from an Iraqi civilian led searchers to their bodies three days later.

A third soldier, Spc. David J. Babineau, was killed in the attack.

Former Pfc. Steven D. Green -- who was honorably discharged from the Army for having a "personality disorder" -- and four other soldiers have been charged with murder and rape in the Mahmoudiya incident.

Another soldier has been charged for failing to report the incident but is not alleged to have participated. All five are charged with conspiring with Green to commit the crimes.

The U.S. military released their names Monday. (Full story)

Green, 21, has been charged in a U.S. civilian court. He pleaded not guilty last week in a federal court in Kentucky. The other five have been charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

The identification card and death certificate of the alleged rape victim indicated she was 14 years old at the time. A Justice Department affidavit in the case against Green says investigators estimated her age at about 25, while the U.S. military said she was 20.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Try the fuckheads in Iraq like they should be. Stand up and be a big man/men about it and show the world how the courts in Iraq now work with the great US capitalism that has been thrust upon it. I am sure that a stoning would be up to par until death.

Funny the country that leads the world in invasions dosen't sign up to the court of the world to decide their fate when they want to play GI Joe the human version is a foreign land. Garner a ton of respect that way I hear.
  • NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    This "immunity" that U.S. soldiers have - in cases like this where the crime is so heinous - needs to be lifted.

Let these fuckers be tried by an Iraqi court - see how they fare in a trial in Iraq vs. a military trial.

I guarantee you no asshole would rape an innocent civilian girl again.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141

as others have already stated; many see it in a completely different light when we're talking about kids. it was bad enough they watched her for a week or 2 planning it out thinking it's a 20 year old...but knowing we have soliders (note the plural) over there seeing CHILDREN and tracking them for a while waiting for the right moment...it's truly disgusting.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • so what is the point of this thread (given there are several already like it)? please be direct in expressing your opinions.

Credibility issues:

"US military officials in Iraq say their documents have her as 20"