Question about Ripping CD's

rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
edited August 2008 in Other Music
I know this is the wrong forum but I know you guys can help.

So, I am ripping all of my CD's using Windows Media (whatever version comes with Vista). Mainly I will be listening to them right off my hard drive, and will be burning them onto MP3/WMA CD's to listen to in my car. Also will be putting them on my iPod.

The CD Player in my car supports MP3 and WMA, so I do not want to rip them using iTunes (MP4)... because then I will not be able to listen to the music on my CD player. Size is really not an issue. Shoud I rip them in WMA Lossless format instead of MP3 320 kb/s? Main reason I want to do that is so that I can compress them whenever I want without losing sound quality, and also so that I can convert some of them to iTunes supported files without losing quality. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    rtwilli4 wrote:
    I know this is the wrong forum but I know you guys can help.

So, I am ripping all of my CD's using Windows Media (whatever version comes with Vista). Mainly I will be listening to them right off my hard drive, and will be burning them onto MP3/WMA CD's to listen to in my car. Also will be putting them on my iPod.

The CD Player in my car supports MP3 and WMA, so I do not want to rip them using iTunes (MP4)... because then I will not be able to listen to the music on my CD player. Size is really not an issue. Shoud I rip them in WMA Lossless format instead of MP3 320 kb/s? Main reason I want to do that is so that I can compress them whenever I want without losing sound quality, and also so that I can convert some of them to iTunes supported files without losing quality. Thanks.
    in iTunes' preferences you can choose the ripping format: m4a, mp3, etc.
    You basically you can rip a CD to MP3 with iTunes.
    If you have an iPod, this is the best thing to do.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    All I know is WMA lossless won't be supported on your Ipod, while the Mp3's will. So basically you'll have to go through 2 conversion processes if you want to use it on your CD and IPod. How big is your IPod? If it was me I'd just rip at the 320 mp3 and save yourself the extra hassle of converting them for itunes/ipod. Besides, at that bitrate it'll sound really good anyways.