"Jimi Hendrix almost RUINED rock 'n roll", haha

GlorifiedDStyleeGlorifiedDStylee Posts: 3
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Hey,
so there's this kid that I work with... hates Pearl Jam, listens to some good music, but mostly that hipster indy stuff that uses lots of random effects, overdubbing, etc.... anyways, the other day he was like 'yea, so Jimi Hendrix almost ruined rock 'n roll cuz he made it cool to play guitar'.... hehe, i couldn't stop laughing at him... who says that shit? kids that try so hard to sound like they have 'the' superior taste in music and art and have all these bogus reasons... but also according to him Pearl Jam sucks cuz they continue to write the same song.... right...
~Dan
like a cloud dropping rain, i'm discarding all though... i'll dry up... leaving puddles on the ground...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    chuck berry made it cool to play guitar....jimi made it an art form....tell your friend to get his head out of his ass.....:)
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    What bullshit. I hate that indie hipster poser attitude. "It's not cool to play guitar." Fuck. Conforming to nonconformity.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    you should have punched him in the face.
  • "Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein." - Dick Rowe, Decca Records 1962
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Sathogwa wrote:
    What bullshit. I hate that indie hipster poser attitude. "It's not cool to play guitar." Fuck. Conforming to nonconformity.

hehe, man i couldn't have said it better. in this post you've said everything i would've said.

also just want to add that i love and hate indie haircuts i also think those indie kids are up their own fucking arses!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Hey,
    so there's this kid that I work with... hates Pearl Jam, listens to some good music, but mostly that hipster indy stuff that uses lots of random effects, overdubbing, etc.... anyways, the other day he was like 'yea, so Jimi Hendrix almost ruined rock 'n roll cuz he made it cool to play guitar'.... hehe, i couldn't stop laughing at him... who says that shit? kids that try so hard to sound like they have 'the' superior taste in music and art and have all these bogus reasons... but also according to him Pearl Jam sucks cuz they continue to write the same song.... right...
    ~Dan

those really are the worst kind of people as far as i'm concearned. as one guy posted "conforming to non-conformity". thing is, i can almost promise you if PJ came without the "bigband" tag 95% of that hippie culture would have gone down on their knees for them alongside their oh so fucking valuable sonic youth and captain beefheart and miles davis etc etc. fake, phoney - the lot of them.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    glasshouse wrote:
    those really are the worst kind of people as far as i'm concearned. as one guy posted "conforming to non-conformity". thing is, i can almost promise you if PJ came without the "bigband" tag 95% of that hippie culture would have gone down on their knees for them alongside their oh so fucking valuable sonic youth and captain beefheart and miles davis etc etc. fake, phoney - the lot of them.

maybe but i was thinking they listen to music like: Kaiser Chiefs ( what an awfull band), Killers, Babyshambles.......list can go on......

to the thread starter
    am i right? does that prick listen to those bands? what kind of bands does he listen to?
  • Hey,
    ~Dan

The kid is surely delusional. He needs help.
  • glasshouse wrote:
    their oh so fucking valuable sonic youth and captain beefheart and miles davis etc etc. fake, phoney - the lot of them.

Strange list there. Captain Beefheart is as real as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwEKene6ha0
    Strange list there. Captain Beefheart is as real as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwEKene6ha0

i'm not revering to beefheart, but to the hippie culture

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouse wrote:
    i'm not revering to beefheart, but to the hippie culture

I think Beefheart, like Jimi, had more in common with what was known at the time as "freak" culture than hippie culture. The freaks were more into outlandish creativity and experimentation on all social, personal, psychedelic and musical levels, whereas the hippies were, well, just bloody hippies.
    the modern hipster/ indie fuckers

• glasshouse wrote:

Weird choices of bands there. Those aren't bands that I would associate with indie kids. I would say those are groups that musicians tend to like because they take a different approach that is musically inspiring. Miles Davis may be the greatest musical genius of the 20th century (and maybe beyond). I love those groups, and I love Hendrix and Pearl Jam just as much.

As to the original post, whoever said Hendrix almost ruined rock is an idiot. There can't even be a legitimate argument on that. Plus, it IS fucking cool to play guitar (says the guitar player). That's one of the reasons I hate most indie bands - none of them know how to do anything with their instruments but strum a few major and minor chords in an uninteresting rhythm. I'm not saying you need to be Hendrix to make good music - I love the Ramones and the Clash, etc. - but at least get some groove or do something interesting musically.
  • Kann wrote:
    you should have punched him in the face.

Well said.
  • I like Kaiser Chiefs ,also went to a concert two weeks ago , was very nice :)
    I like indie alot , and also I like rock allot ..

But that wasn't the point , just don't say bands suck if they don't , everyone have different styles of music he likes , I happen to like Indie also .

(just wanted to say this , my motherlanguage is not english so if I interpretated something wrong , I'm sorry then )

Dimitri :)