Foo's vs Nirvana

2»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    You sound like a hipster. Just because Nirvana was popular does not mean that they werent edgy and brutal. Just because somebody was edgy and brutal before Nirvana doesnt take away from them being the same. I know that Nirvanas best songs were their rock songs that were full of hooks but I think basically everything they made was great.
    I'm not intending to sound like a hipster, I just don't see anything brutal in Endless Nameless. If you ask me, Nirvana's most brutal moments (if indeed they had any) were songs like Polly. Musically they weren't "brutal" at all. Making dissonant guitar noise does not a brutal song make.
    DOSW wrote:
    Songs like Scentless Apprentice and Milk It sound pretty brutal to me...
    really? Agree to disagree then.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    really? Agree to disagree then.

The soundwaves that come out of my speakers when those songs are playing peel the skin off my face like sandpaper.... so yeah, I'd say they're pretty brutal. :D

But that's just me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I wish the Foo's would've continued to go in this direction...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RG0qw4TFti4
  • LukinTimerLukinTimer Posts: 538
    Saturnal wrote:
    Cobain's influence when he was alive was much greater than Grohl's has ever been. Grohl is very talented (as much, maybe more than Cobain musically speaking), but it's extremely rare for that many people to connect so personally with an artist like they connected with Cobain. That's why Nirvana was so popular...their legacy has little to do with his premature death.

I agree. Nirvana's legacy has little to do with Cobain's early death. After all these years, it can be difficult to remember the affect he had on music and the "youth of that time." (That phrase cracks me up. :D) It was profound. And it started LONG before he killed himself... it wasn't a result of his death. I think it's easy to forget that if you weren't around, or into music at that time.

I do like the Foos, and seeing them live several times it's hard to imagine Dave staying put behind the drums.. I think his head would explode.
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    DOSW wrote:
    Boring generic hard rock music with no personality vs edgy, raw, tortured, brutal grungey awesomeness.

Tough call there.
    agreed
    Kurt was leaving Nirvana before he died anyways.

Foo Fighters are corporate schlock
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Over where I am, their songs get thrashed on the radio! Though saying that, Nirvana is on atleast once a day.
    I just wondered if Nirvana was so famous because of the fact Kurt killed himself? If Dave Grohl killed himself, would Foo's popularity rise more than if he stayed alive? Is this a shallow way to be famous??? Does it mean more, or less?

You may like Nirvana, you may not, but, they were one of the most influential bands in history. They changed rock. Yes, I know...the groundwork was already there from other bands, but Nevermind changed everything. I don't see how it can be denied that Nirvana opened doors for a heap of bands to follow.

The same can be said for the Beatles.

The same can be said for Hank Williams.

Foo might be a better band, but they will never be as influential.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Foo might be a better band, but they will never be as influential.

might being the operative word. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • might being the operative word. :D

indeed...I am a huge fan of Nirvana. I have friends who hate them, so I am like...okay...let me make you 1 CD and see what you think. I have never had a person not come back disappointed.

I mean...seriously...start looking at some of the not mainstream(ish) stuff...

I typically make people a CD with some of these:
    Do Rei Me
    The Man Who Sold The World
    You know your right
    Very Ape
    Spank Thru
    Been a Son
    Seasons In The Sun
    Scentless Apprentice

Verse Chorus Verse (acoustic version)
    Return Of The Rat

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I don't think Nirvana and the Foos are anything alike.....

I much prefer Nirvana.....

Foos are too, i dunno, too something.....feels false.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • might being the operative word. :D

indeed...I am a huge fan of Nirvana. I have friends who hate them, so I am like...okay...let me make you 1 CD and see what you think. I have never had a person not come back disappointed.

I mean...seriously...start looking at some of the not mainstream(ish) stuff...

I typically make people a CD with some of these:
    Do Rei Me
    The Man Who Sold The World
    You know your right
    Very Ape
    Floyd The Barber
    Dumb
    Lake of fire
    Spank Thru
    Lounge Act (my fav Nirvana song)
    I Hate Myself And I Want To Die
    Been a Son
    Seasons In The Sun
    Scentless Apprentice
    On A Plain
    Verse Chorus Verse (acoustic version)
    Return Of The Rat
    Where did you sleep last night
    Mexican Seafood (ya gatta add this just because)

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • The Foo Fighters are just another Staind, Puddle of Mud, Nickleback, Creed, Blink 182, My Chemical Romance...etc. All those radio friendly acts. Nirvana was the sound that launched these bands.....
    the Minions
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The Foo Fighters are just another Staind, Puddle of Mud, Nickleback, Creed, Blink 182, My Chemical Romance...etc. All those radio friendly acts. Nirvana was the sound that launched these bands.....

I dont like them much but they really arent that bad.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson