Courtney Love: looking after Kurt Cobain's artistic legacy

2»

Comments

• thats irrelivant. the bitch is doing it cause she cant earn enough money on her own 'talent' (and i use that term as loosley as possible). its kurt's music and it should stay that way. im pretty sure if kurt wanted his music in a movie or commercial he would have done it when he was alive.

There's a documentary about Courtney Love where this issue is addressed. Firstly she is talented, Live Through This is a great rock record, and Celebrity Skin is one of the best pop records you could ever wish to hear. In total Courtney earned through films and her music $20 million. True to form she blew the entire lot on drugs in the past few years. Of course you can blame her entirely and say it's her own fault, but she has had an incredibly fucked up life (probably far worse than most people would ever consider) and as such, to my mind at least, it's totally understandable that she has made her mistakes, and everyone deserves a second chance.

She sold part of the rights so that she could get her life back on track, which includes being able to provide for her daughter, Kurt's mum and her friend who has cancer, which is fair enough. In addition, she wanted the music to be preserved and for it to reach new audiences, kind of like how Jeff Buckley's mum has released a load of 'new' Jeff Buckley records since his death - to attract new fans from a younger generation.

Without re-reading the article, I'm pretty sure it said his music would not be used in commercials (which I personally would also take issue with). But like it or not, tv shows are art of some sorts, and if a Nirvana song can help enhance a particular scene where is the harm? How does anyone know what Kurt would have wanted? Pretty much all of the other big Seattle bands have appeared in films and tv shows, and are still deemed credible, why are Nirvana any different?
  • Oh by the way I did start this post before I made it a separte thread. So see I am not trying to piss you off.

my sincere appology, i was in a really bad mood yesterday and i guess you were the one who i set my anger on. sorry again, i will try to be more diplomatic in the future :))
    make tea not love
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    There's a documentary about Courtney Love where this issue is addressed. Firstly she is talented, Live Through This is a great rock record, and Celebrity Skin is one of the best pop records you could ever wish to hear. In total Courtney earned through films and her music $20 million. True to form she blew the entire lot on drugs in the past few years. Of course you can blame her entirely and say it's her own fault, but she has had an incredibly fucked up life (probably far worse than most people would ever consider) and as such, to my mind at least, it's totally understandable that she has made her mistakes, and everyone deserves a second chance.

She sold part of the rights so that she could get her life back on track, which includes being able to provide for her daughter, Kurt's mum and her friend who has cancer, which is fair enough. In addition, she wanted the music to be preserved and for it to reach new audiences, kind of like how Jeff Buckley's mum has released a load of 'new' Jeff Buckley records since his death - to attract new fans from a younger generation.

Without re-reading the article, I'm pretty sure it said his music would not be used in commercials (which I personally would also take issue with). But like it or not, tv shows are art of some sorts, and if a Nirvana song can help enhance a particular scene where is the harm? How does anyone know what Kurt would have wanted? Pretty much all of the other big Seattle bands have appeared in films and tv shows, and are still deemed credible, why are Nirvana any different?

i think the issue is the fact that it's courtney making the decisions.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i think the issue is the fact that it's courtney making the decisions.

Well Kurt did leave the rights to HER. One could argue that her selling off the rights to some of the music is a good idea, because at least that way the music is in the hands of a slightly more rational person.....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Well Kurt did leave the rights to HER. One could argue that her selling off the rights to some of the music is a good idea, because at least that way the music is in the hands of a slightly more rational person.....

actually i think by right of marriage she obtained them. but just so you know, i am a fan of courtney and i am a huge nirvana fan. i have mixed feelings about this but it's not my call. but i'm sure i'll cope.
    and sure the rights may be in the hands of a more rational person than courtney. and i'm sure his sole motivation will be his love of nirvana and not the revenue generated by any such move. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • actually i think by right of marriage she obtained them. but just so you know, i am a fan of courtney and i am a huge nirvana fan. i have mixed feelings about this but it's not my call. but i'm sure i'll cope.
    and sure the rights may be in the hands of a more rational person than courtney. and i'm sure his sole motivation will be his love of nirvana and not the revenue generated by any such move. ;)

There just seems to be this really ridiculous belief by some people, that they are the only ones who really 'understood' Kurt and his music, and therefore they know what is 'best' for his music, which to my mind is fucking stupid.
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    Without re-reading the article, I'm pretty sure it said his music would not be used in commercials (which I personally would also take issue with).

You might want to read the article...
    BrainOfJD wrote:
    Primary Wave Chief Executive Lawrence Mestel, former chief operating officer and general manager of Virgin Records, says he expects most licensing deals for Nirvana songs will be with the producers of movies and TV shows. But he adds that Primary Wave will also consider doing advertising deals if the right partners emerge.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • BrainOfJD wrote:
    You might want to read the article...

Fair enough, I think I was referring to the bit where it said it would never be used in a hamburger advert.... I only skim read it the first time round. To be honest I very much doubt it would happen, they aren't stupid people, I think they realise how important Kurt's music was to his fans.