Top 5 most unoriginal bands you've ever heard

Comments

• Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Oasis, Coldplay etc, you get no complaint from me there but you clearly haven't got a clue with Radiohead.

Sound like every other whiny english band, for fuck sake's Radiohead head and shoulders over all English bands and most of US ones as well. If only a handful of bands were as brave and evolving as Radiohead we'd have a more healthy UK music scene instead of the copy cats we have at the moment.

Just you don't like it doesn't make it unoriginal, think about the question and try come up with an intelligent answer.

The Strokes: ripping off the Ramones & Velvet Underground does not make a unique original sound

Razorlight: what a fuckin joke, we get it you've heard Marquee Moon and some early U2 get something original material Borrell you ugly egostical wanker.

Arctic Monkeys: while agree that the singer has a poetic talent for lyrics this is nothing new, Difford & Tilbrook were doing the same thing in the squeeze over 20 years ago and Jarvis Cocker in the 90's with Pulp, The music is also nothing fresh yes a talented band but ceratinly anywhere Radioheads level.

Too much fuss is made of bands in the UK, I think music journalist have given up on requiring originality to make a band any good and rehashing the past with out putting something of yourself into is quite ok and shouldbe critically acclaimed.

You might think Radiohead have gone off the map, personally I don't but I'd rather have a collection of music which has some diversity as opposed to carbon copies with no desire to give us anything fresh.

While we're at it Muse, they like Queen and Radiohead and a big epic sound, does that really justify the next second comming tag they've received of late.

PJ, AIC both have taken influence from other areas but they inject their own personality into their music and give it the unmistakable stamp of individuality.

AIC sound to me more original than Nirvana, lets face it it their a great more amped version of the Pixies.

Very good points,

The Pixies are responsible for alot of what we listen to today and few people realize that. Definitely inspired Nirvana.
    the Minions
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    oppie1 wrote:
    radiohead sounds like every other whiny english band..

Lets list some whiney british bands that were around when Radiohead hit the scene:

The Cure
    The Smiths/Morrisey
    Happy Mondays
    Stone Roses
    Blur
    Inspiral Carpets
    Jesus And Mary Chain
    My Bloody Valentine
    Primal Scream

None of these sound like Radiohead.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Whether or not you like Audioslave they sounded nothing like any other band, including their antecedents.
    Yeah but this guy also listed Chris Cornell: hate campaign? I don't understand how Chris Cornell can possibly be considered unoriginal. None of his songs sound alike and none of them sound similar to other artists. You might not like his stuff but that doesn't make him unoriginal.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    oppie1 wrote:
    actually.. when they first came out.. they were a decent band.. 3 Dolla Bill Y'all was a great album

Counterfeit, Stuck, Pollution.. all great songs

As shitty as the Bizkit may be, Break Stuff & Faith are two songs that I love singing along wiht.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Speaking of Zeppelin, John Paul Jones is the most UNDERRATED person in that band by a mile.

agreed.

I think a lot of people who are harping on Radiohead for not being original don't realize that all these bands they think sound the same (and I love a lot of then take Travis for example) like Coldplay etc. are basically just aping the the first 2 radiohead records. I don't like what they've been doing much of late but yeah you've got to be kind of out of it to honestly belive what you're saying here.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    tonadax wrote:
    For me, in no particular order

5. the bravery

Yes! The bravery -- I can't remember their song...but I remember thinking "wow - this is very unoriginal..."

And (I know I'll get some heat for this) early Led Zeppelin - well, whole lotta love was a complete rip off of the Small Faces, "You need Love" - same words and all - which was a rip off a Muddy Waters (?) tune...and Led Zep actually got sued by some of those old blues stars for stealing without permission...However, that does not mean I think Led Zep are bad, far from it!

And the Beastie Boys. How hard is it to sample music from just about everyone and then yell over top of it? I used to do that when I was 10 years old with two tape recorders!
    be philanthropic
  • Buckcherry and Wolfmother- i enjoy both on a fun rock level, but nothing ground breaking.

Creed, Puddle of Mudd, and Godsmack- Pearl Jam, Nirvana, AIC wannabes.

Zeppelin doesnt belong on the list, even if they did steal some things for songs like Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused,etc- their originality (and musical diversity) far out weighs the negative of lifting a few riffs. Same reason i dont think the beastie boys were unoriginal- even though they sampled quite a bit, they were among the first to do so in an effective manor that could be mass marketed.

White Stripes dont rip off anyone, they took a classic blues rock sound, and modified it into their own sound. And Icky Thump actually is closer to 1st album aerosmith then it is to any zeppelin.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Let's see...

My Chemical Romance, Nickelback, Hinder, Crossfade, Good Charlotte

That was too easy...I could name more if you'd like...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Lets list some whiney british bands that were around when Radiohead hit the scene:

The Cure
    The Smiths/Morrisey
    Happy Mondays
    Stone Roses
    Blur
    Inspiral Carpets
    Jesus And Mary Chain
    My Bloody Valentine
    Primal Scream

None of these sound like Radiohead.
    oh my GOD!!! my motherfuckin bloody valentine so mother fuckin awesome!!!! i think that they are probably my favorite band... song after song after song they play is infuckin'credible!!!

but they are to a short extent unoriginal.... since they were inspired by Jesus and Mary Chain. however, i think bloody valentine is better than jesus and mary.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • i can name so many unoriginal bands.... but i can also say that i own some of their music....

man, emo wasn't so bad when it first came out... emo used to be indie... juliana theory, jimmy eat world... earlier stuff was awesome... that i think would make them original.

here's something from juliana theory... from the very few i could find... they never made it big but were cool.... at least for me they were
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1pRiXWTV_A
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Radiohead and the White Stripes are two of the most unique bands out there. NOBODY sounds remotely like them (though Radiohead have been ripped off a lot since the 90s).

this isn't a thread about what bands you hate, it's about originality.

take note... im gonna stick up for radiohead. there's no way they belong on this list. i dont much care for radiohead or white stripes, but to say they're unoriginal is bullshit.

but then, i think silverchair being on someone's list is fucked up too. yeah, their first album was, but listen into their catalogue and they sound like no one else i know.

some of my fav bands are unoriginal, so ill do my fav totally unoriginal bands:

buckcherry
    jet
    oasis
    black crowes
    muse
    editors
    wolfmother
  • take note... im gonna stick up for radiohead. there's no way they belong on this list. i dont much care for radiohead or white stripes, but to say they're unoriginal is bullshit.

but then, i think silverchair being on someone's list is fucked up too. yeah, their first album was, but listen into their catalogue and they sound like no one else i know.

some of my fav bands are unoriginal, so ill do my 5 fav totally unoriginal bands:

buckcherry
    jet
    oasis
    black crowes
    muse
    yeah, i'll put my favorite unoriginal bands too

interpol
    stone temple pilots
    arctic monkeys
    Coldplay
    thievery corporation (does "thievery" mean anything to you?)

funny thing is... none of these bands ever claimed to be unoriginal... they just played what sounded good to them. see, it doesn't matter what is original or unoriginal cause in the end all you're going to care about is if you liked it or not. so the end of all matters is this... enjoy the music and don't interfere with the likes and dislikes of others.

yes, this is a threadstopper... while listening to Glen Campbell and Stone Temple Pilots bootleg version of Wichita Lineman
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Creed
    Nickelback
    Three Days Grace
    Hinder

All just clones of each other and yet there are even more clones to add to this list

Three Doors Down
    Puddle Of Mudd
    Daughtry
    Fuel
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Just 5?...

Nickleback
    Alice In Chains
    Velvet Revolver
    Creed
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Silverchair
    Candlebox
    Bush
    3 Doors Down
    Puddle Of Mudd
    Stained
    Korn
    Chris Cornell
    Sevendust
    Godsmack
    Switchfoot
    Daughtry
    Audioslave
    Slipknot

With the exception of just a few bands on that list...........those are some of the worst bands I have ever heard, you forgot Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle though
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

oppie1 wrote:
    how can you say slipknot were unoriginal? name me one band that sounds like them.. they're one hell of an awesome band, and even better live

my list is

Oasis
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    White Stripes
    Chris Cornell

Just because you dont like a band or they get talked about alot on this forum does not mean they are unoriginal.

Radiohead is very original
    Coldplay is very original, anybody that sounds like them came after them
    Oasis arent all that original but they have their own sound that nobody has matched since
    White Stripes have done some original sounding stuff as well

Get your facts straight before you start talking nonsense
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Threads like these are so funny, you may as well title them, let's see how nasty we can be and how argue about which artist is better than the other.
    oppie1 wrote:
    lets see.. their music goes nowhere..it sounds like every other english band.. the only decent band to ever come out of england is tears for fears. every other band after them has in one way or another tried to copy off TfF

every other band sounds exactly like the other bands.. it all mashes together..

Radio head
    coldplay
    oasis
    david gray.. its hard to tell the difference

You may as well just say i don't like folk/acoustic type of music, cos i could have that same theory on many styles of music. I mena each to their own.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    oppie1 wrote:

and the white stripes sound like junior high talent show bands.. so.. thats why they're unoriginal

What a dopy yank you are!!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    With the exception of just a few bands on that list...........those are some of the worst bands I have ever heard, you forgot Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle though

i still dont get the Chevelle hate around here??

then again being around here awhile im not suprised if its not 70's rock Ed loves or Kings of Crap and My Morning Wood then its no good...haha
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Editors
    The Calling
    Sum 41
    Wolfmother
    The Kooks
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    oppie1 wrote:

and the white stripes sound like junior high talent show bands.. so.. thats why they're unoriginal

ever listened to Kid A? or Anmesiac? like every other band my fucking ass

so ur calling WS unoriginal because OtHER PEOPLE COPY THEM?

get yourself a dictionary sunshine
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    This thread is rediculous.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    pjalive21 wrote:
    i still dont get the Chevelle hate around here??

then again being around here awhile im not suprised if its not 70's rock Ed loves or Kings of Crap and My Morning Wood then its no good...haha
    exactly.. if ed hasn't preformed with the band, or if the band hasn't opened for PJ then they're a shitty band. its the closed minded fans that are making me lose interest in PJ
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
    im only after reading through the whole thing and seeing how many crazy posts there are. if there's' one positive thing its made me realise i like listening to music and thinking "wow, ive never heard anything like this before"...in a good way.

a thread about groundbreaking albums or inspirational musicians would probably have made more sense...

but still the radiohead comment....fucks sake! :)

the closed minded fans can just listen to what they want. MMJ are not very original, but they are good at what they do. and i personally loved KOL years before i knew PJ performed with them...but god i hate Sleater-Kinney
    oppie1 wrote:
    exactly.. if ed hasn't preformed with the band, or if the band hasn't opened for PJ then they're a shitty band. its the closed minded fans that are making me lose interest in PJ

How are the fans on here close minded? Just because very few of them like the same awful bands as you?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

How are the fans on here close minded? Just because very few of them like the same awful bands as you?
    hi sweetheart.. didn't see you come in...i missed you

they're close minded because if ed likes a band or they open for PJ then they're dubbed the "led zeppelin of the decade" everyone puts them up on a pedestal, when they dont deserve to be anywhere near one
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

the only PJ opener that ive ever heard a description of like that is Sonic Youth. and they frankly, are Gods.

ive never heard ANYONE or read anyone on here call SK, MMJ, Wolfmother, The Futureheads, Sparta, Interpol, Rancid, Frank Black, The Vandals, etc etc "the new LZ"....slight ezaggeration although i do know what you mean,

But do u not think its cool that if you love a band, go see them and the support band you know nothing about turns out to be really good? better than the shocking repetitive shit u find around today?
    oppie1 wrote:
    hi sweetheart.. didn't see you come in...i missed you

they're close minded because if ed likes a band or they open for PJ then they're dubbed the "led zeppelin of the decade" everyone puts them up on a pedestal, when they dont deserve to be anywhere near one

I think most of those bands are terrible as well but it really doesnt affect me or what I listen to
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

JordyWordy wrote:
    the only PJ opener that ive ever heard a description of like that is Sonic Youth. and the frankly, are Gods.

ive never heard ANYONE or read anyone on here call SK, MMJ, Wolfmother, The Futureheads, Sparta, Interpol, Rancid, Frank Black, The Vandals, etc etc "the new LZ"....slight ezaggeration although i do know what you mean,

But, it is cool if you love a band, go see them and the support band you know nothing about becomes a new obsession.
    when i saw SY open in LA and Santa Barbara last year i couldnt stand more then 2 minutes of their set before i had to get up and walk around. they're a terrible band IMO
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

fair enough!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    oppie1 wrote:
    when i saw SY open in LA and Santa Barbara last year i couldnt stand more then 2 minutes of their set before i had to get up and walk around. they're a terrible band IMO

i dont think there has been a band that has opened for them that i thought was better than average, or something ive heard many times before...

and i admitt other than PJ there isnt much musically i have in common with most people on this board and thats ok and what makes us all different...