Stephen Malkmus and the Jink's Real Emotional Trash

btb002btb002 Posts: 183
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I haven't really been a fan of Malkmus' post Pavement stuff. His debut was alright and I can listen to it, same thing with the first Jinks album, but I wouldn't consider them favorites of mine. I was even bored and listed the albums I was looking forward to the most in the new year and it barely cracked the top ten list (nine or ten). Honestly, after listening to it, I'm blown away. The quality is comparable to that of a Pavement album. And I'm sorry to compare, but its really what it reminds me of. A quasi grown up Pavement album that captures Brighten the Corners a decade later, and is a steadily improved. If you're like me and you don't like the strange pop songs like Mama, those moments are nonexistent here. Its straight on rock, and the Jinks sound incredible on it. Of course Malkmus' lyrics are still in the same vein, but that's always been a plus for me. "Out of Reaches" is amazing. The title track "Real Emotional Trash," is an incredible 10 minute song that recalls The Doors in its second half jamming. "Wicked Wanda" recalls "Starling of the Slipstream." "Hopscotch Willy" is delightfully derranged. All 10 songs are well thought out, often passing the 5 minute mark. If you love albums where guitars do most of the talking, and chalk full of jamming, I highly recommend you pick up this album when it comes out in March. I most certainly will. I think its better than Radiohead's In Rainbows personally.
You are just a negative mindless pud.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I love Stephen Malkmus' solo stuff almost as much as I love Pavement (although I only have Pig Lib and Face The Truth.....haven't heard the self titled debut)

....can't wait to hear the new Stephen Malkmus and the JICKS (;)) album
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Does Janet Weiss come through well in the album?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Does Janet Weiss come through well in the album?

Steve West is amazing and all, but he has nothing on Janet. The biggest compliment I can give is, she's one of the few drummers out there with a distinct sound that I can recognize. I think she's the best drummer Malkmus has worked with. That's probably bias right now because I'm so in aww with this album right now. You know feeling when you listen to something and everything else sounds old or worn? That's what I'm going through. Haven't done that since the last Pearl Jam album.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.