Options

Any love for Jane's Addiction?

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I was just wondering if anyone on here loves Jane's Addiction as much as I do. I saw them in 2001 and it was flat-out one of the greatest shows I have ever seen and I figured there would be a few Jane's fans on here. They are kind of like music's Hayley's Comet, they only come around every few years, but when they do it is awesome. For getting along as well as they seem to, they sure break up a lot.

I mean.....
"Ocean Size," "Mountain Song," "Up the Beach," "Stop," "Jane Says," "Been Caught Stealing," the odd version of "Been Caught Stealing" on Kettle Whiste, "Aint No Right," "Strays," "Obvious,"
.....for having done as few albums as they did they sure had a lot of great songs.
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love j.a. why i was just adding this to my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRv3G26Xi-k
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I love them too. I just got their 1st 2 CDs earlier this year. Three Days is my favorite song over 10 minutes long ever.
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Three Days RULES! In the top 6 rock songs ever...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    InHiding80 wrote:
    I love them too. I just got their 1st 2 CDs earlier this year. Three Days is my favorite song over 10 minutes long ever.
    Echoes - Pink Floyd

23 minutes long and incredible.

and the entire Animals album minus Pigs on the Wing

incredible.. ;)

but anyway, Janes Addiction rocks :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    And Three Days is THAT good. I'd match it up with any single song put out by anyone since it came out. I'd be curious to hear of some real challengers since 1990.

It would still win. But go ahead and try...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    Mojopin wrote:
    And Three Days is THAT good. I'd match it up with any single song put out by anyone since it came out. It would still win...

Mojo

thats one of my favorites by janes, that and classic girl, and.. alot of others!
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    huge fan too...can't decide whether Nothing's Shocking or Ritual de lo Habitual is better.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    huge fan too...can't decide whether Nothing's Shocking or Ritual de lo Habitual is better.

axl, thats too hard...
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    Mojopin wrote:
    Three Days RULES! In the top 6 rock songs ever...

Mojo

what a fantastic song, Jane's Addiction are one of my "main bands" that I grew up with. Saw them at Lollapalooza in 2003, cool show.... sucked though that Dave Navarro was an asshole when I met him, Stephen Perkins is the coolest of them all.
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    what a fantastic song, Jane's Addiction are one of my "main bands" that I grew up with. Saw them at Lollapalooza in 2003, cool show.... sucked though that Dave Navarro was an asshole when I met him, Stephen Perkins is the coolest of them all.
    please tell the story.

i always hated Navarro cuz he just looks like an asshole..

i like his playing and the work he did with the Chilis but i just can't get over how much of an asshole he seems like...

i'd like to have some proof one way or another.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    ritual de lo habitual
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    please tell the story.

i always hated Navarro cuz he just looks like an asshole..

i like his playing and the work he did with the Chilis but i just can't get over how much of an asshole he seems like...

i'd like to have some proof one way or another.

met them at tower records a couple of years ago for a cd signing, Perry Farrell, Sthephen Perkins and the new bassist they had for the last album were all pretty cool with the fans and very courteous answering questions and all but Navarro was a different story, he had this attitude like "i'm so cool motherfucker so don't talk to me".... didn't bother to even look straight to the fans and besides "ok" no other word came out of his mouth. You could easily tell how the other members were embarrassed by him...
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Towerman wrote:
    met them at tower records a couple of years ago for a cd signing, Perry Farrell, Sthephen Perkins and the new bassist they had for the last album were all pretty cool with the fans and very courteous answering questions and all but Navarro was a different story, he had this attitude like "i'm so cool motherfucker so don't talk to me".... didn't bother to even look straight to the fans and besides "ok" no other word came out of his mouth. You could easily tell how the other members were embarrassed by him...
    what a dick.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    You know, despite how strange he is, I always thought Perry Ferrell would be a real cool guy in person (in reference to the earlier post).

Oddly, the Jane's cd I listen to most is "Kettle Whistle." I've always liked the version of "Jane Says" better, plus I think I like it because it has so much of the stuff they played when I saw them live.

I picked up "Strays" used for $6.00 today. I don't know why I didn't ever get it before, I think I had heard early on that it wasn't good and I just kind of forgot about it. I liked the single and the video, but it just never caught on with me. After starting this thread last night I decided to look up some reviews of it and they swayed me toward picking it up. I'm glad I did beause it really does rock.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I think Strays was underrated as an album. Too bad they had to cancel most of the tour behind that album. Hopefully, someday I can see them live.
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I honestly can't stand them. The singer is horrible and the music wasn't much better. One of those bands I don't understand why so many people like them.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I honestly can't stand them. The singer is horrible and the music wasn't much better. One of those bands I don't understand why so many people like them.

Perry's voice is definitely an acquired taste. But the music? They fuckin' wail !!! I have to rank Dave Navarro up there with Mike McCready and Pete Townshend as the best guitar players I have ever seen live. I had no idea going in what to expect but he was really good at the show.
    I love my female wife...
  • Options
    funkymonk wrote:
    I think Strays was underrated as an album. Too bad they had to cancel most of the tour behind that album. Hopefully, someday I can see them live.

Yeah. I think the big mistake was calling it Lollapalooza. I think that name had really lost its edge by 2003, and actually became a burden. There is no other reason for that tour to have not done well. Wasn't Audioslave on that tour, too? If they'd have dropped the Lollapalooza name and just called it the "Jane's Addiction / Audioslave tour" I actually think it would have done much better.

When I saw Jane's Addiction in Pittsburgh in 2001, there was a really good crowd there. And Pittsburgh is not exactly a concert hot spot. Bands that play 3-4 nights in other cities usually play 1 in Pittsburgh, if they are kind enough to stop at all. If Jane's could do that well as the headliner at a time when they had no new album to promote, the only logical reason for the 2003 tour to not do so well that I can think of was the name.
    I love my female wife...
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    Perry's voice is definitely an acquired taste. But the music? They fuckin' wail !!! I have to rank Dave Navarro up there with Mike McCready and Pete Townshend as the best guitar players I have ever seen live. I had no idea going in what to expect but he was really good at the show.
    I agree that Dave is one of the best out there..many people don't really rate him seriously ever since he got too "Hollywood" etc.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA