Options

Matchbox 20's First Album

FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Was really good! Really sucks that the lead singer got a stick up his ass and became a gay solo artist, they could have been a decent strong lasting band otherwise...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    i thought it was decent..really like "3 am"
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    hmmm thats odd ...i thought it was crap.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    DieasGrey wrote:

Ditto. Mindless pop music. But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    DieasGrey wrote:

you mean you didn't like the whole "Eddie Vedder Lite" sound?

Rob kind've invented that, i thought.

Sheer genius.

:rolleyes:
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    Was really good! Really sucks that the lead singer got a stick up his ass and became a gay solo artist, they could have been a decent strong lasting band otherwise...

I have to admit I like the album for what it is: a step above bubble gum pop. But they do have some catchy songs on there. Long Day is the best song on there and gets no airplay. I disagree that they would have been a "decent strong lasting band otherwise", whatever that means.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    they still are a band, as far as i know..... rob thomas just decided to make a solo record didn't he? and didn't mikey play guitar on their 3rd record?
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    they still are a band, as far as i know..... rob thomas just decided to make a solo record didn't he? and didn't mikey play guitar on their 3rd record?

did our mike play on the 3rd record? thats news to me.

i think from a musical standpoint, minus all the hype and stuff...they have a few really solid rock tunes. 3 am was mentioned, and there was bright lights as well..which i thought was a really good effort. music-wise theyre respectable. fuck all the stuff that goes around it. concentrate on the music.
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    did our mike play on the 3rd record? thats news to me.

i think from a musical standpoint, minus all the hype and stuff...they have a few really solid rock tunes. 3 am was mentioned, and there was bright lights as well..which i thought was a really good effort. music-wise theyre respectable. fuck all the stuff that goes around it. concentrate on the music.

i read on this board a while back that mr. mccready did some of the lead guitar parts for their third album. i don't know which songs in particular, and i only have a copy of the CD from a friend, so i don't have the liner notes to check.
  • Options
    mike played on the wallflowers last album...
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I've never admitted it and probably would never admit it out loud but I've always liked Back 2 Good....It has a nostalgic 80's sound to it and reminds me of when I was a young kid listening to top 40....Damn, I feel like a retard.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    culot4 wrote:
    I've never admitted it and probably would never admit it out loud but I've always liked Back 2 Good....It has a nostalgic 80's sound to it and reminds me of when I was a young kid listening to top 40....Damn, I feel like a retard.

i really like back 2 good

and the acoustic version of push is really good ..also the acoustic version of shame, damn, and long day is pretty good too

(btw i think rob sounds nothing like eddie, at all. or tries )
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I agree that Matchbox 20 is definitely very "poppy" but I dig their music. Same goes for Maroon 5...definitely pop music but I like their sound.
  • Options
    My Wife's 3 favorite artists

1. Shania Twain
    2. Garth Brooks
    3. Matchbox 20

that says it all for me
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with liking it. Is listening to music supposed to make you feel good or up your coolness factor in the eyes of snobs?
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    culot4 wrote:

give yourself a break..!.
    "Back 2 good" is a great post-break up song..
    as soupy as that may be..
    good call!

Love the "everyone here hates everyone here for doing just like they do"..
    good commentary on how the dating scene feels after a long term break up..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    I had the pleasure of seeing them in a little club down in Birmingham, AL before the 1st album got popular and I thought they were good, good enough to pick up the other 2 cds when they came out and to go see them live again in a bigger setting.

I thought they had a nice range that their music covered, from a little bit of rock to pop to soul.
  • Options
    svhsvh Posts: 21
    i don´t listen to them anymore, but i liked them alot when i was younger and when i had to go through a scary time (you know, faith no more is really not good in moments like that...)
    ...a pearl, turning dirt into something beautiful - e.v
  • Options
    their last two sucked, yeah, but the first one is a good album. and for the people criticizing it for being catchy pop-rock, isn't that what the beatles made? (and before anyone starts with me: no i'm not comparing mb20 with the beatles, i'm just stating that there isn't anything wrong with solid pop-rock, however lame the band's name may be.)

oh, and rob thomas never sounded like "eddie vedder lite" to me. there were plenty of singers who did sound that way mid-90s, but rob thomas wasn't one of them.
    that's faarkokte.
  • Options
    their last two sucked, yeah, but the first one is a good album. and for the people criticizing it for being catchy pop-rock, isn't that what the beatles made? (and before anyone starts with me: no i'm not comparing mb20 with the beatles, i'm just stating that there isn't anything wrong with solid pop-rock, however lame the band's name may be.)

oh, and rob thomas never sounded like "eddie vedder lite" to me. there were plenty of singers who did sound that way mid-90s, but rob thomas wasn't one of them.

Good post.
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    definitely their best album

matchbox twenty hit the studios soon... probably next year... the lead guitarist kyle has a side indie band thats pretty decent

fuck fame... fuck what rob wears or look like... they have some gems

listen to rob's first band, tabitha's secret, its raw, its good, yeh
    wah