Options

What's the big f*@$ing deal?

MCGMCG Posts: 780
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Can anybody explain to me why Death Cab for Cutie is so popular? All I keep hearing about is how good this band is and how much hype is around them. I almost bought "Plans" because so many people reccomended it to me, but then I didn't because if I'm not sure about a band I'll download something and if I like it I'll lay down the cash for the real disc. So I downloaded "Plans", got all excited about it like I was about to discover something great for the first time. Wow! was I disapointed. It wasn't ground breaking, it wasn't even good. I thought it was boring and even kind of hollow, I didn't get into any of the songs and now I'm just confused. Is this band actually good? If so, what am I missing? Did I hear the wrong cd first or something?
Which came first,
the bad idea or me befallen by it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Just like anything else, it's a matter of taste. I know a lot of people prefer earlier Death Cab, but I love Plans. "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" was one of my favorite songs from last year. "Soul Meets Body" and "Summer Skin" are fantastic. Really, I love most of the songs on the album.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    I hate burger king and yet I find Harvey's quite tasty.
  • Options
    JohnBriggsJohnBriggs Posts: 101
    I tend not to like too many bands int he same level as DCFC but I like some of there jams. They are a good band and it's what is hot right now. They work hard and tour hard. They have encountered great success.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    MCG wrote:
    It wasn't ground breaking, it wasn't even good.

Yup..pretty much sums its up.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    they're a pretty good band. but no, they're not groundbreaking or anything. most of the people hopping onto their bandwagon now are doing ti becos their later albums have that kind of 'emo' feel to them which happens to be the flavor of the moment. but that's really just a coincidence of them softening their sound and going for the brian wilson vibe at the same time it became popular again. i personally really like plans, but it's not their best.

i actually prefer their earlier albums. 'something about airplanes' is a pretty fantastic album and a bit more rocking, almost like a built to spill record. 'the photo album' is solid too. id suggest checking one of those two out.

i will say though, all their music has that kinda spacey, distantly hollow vibe. their albums are very carefully constructed. ive got their live dvd and the songs tend to rock a lot harder than they do on the album (though his voice is hit and miss in concert).
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Thanx for the feedback jammers!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    Hehe funny, I downloaded plans for a friend of mine. I never heard any songs from them before so I listened to the album and.....well I have nothing positive to say about it. It just bored me.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    stephduhstephduh Posts: 13
    its just popular bc all the little jr high kids want to sound artsy and cool so they listen to death cab.thats all it comes down to.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Man, Plans was a shitty album anyways. You should have got Transatlanticism or The Photo Album. Those were both really good, and I like them quite a bit.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    stephduh wrote:
    its just popular bc all the little jr high kids want to sound artsy and cool so they listen to death cab.thats all it comes down to.

i think they were playing on the OC for a while. i got turned on to them becos i really enjoyed them opening for pearl jam... they were the best opener ive seen (though sonic youth was pretty bad ass too). nice and mellow. plus a friend of mine kept raving about them.