Options

If you haven't already check out Arctic Monkeys...

release30release30 Posts: 2,051
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Their first album is awsome!"Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"...the second one is pretty good also...Favorite Worst Nightmare
Conversations getting dull
There's a constant ringing in my ears
Sense of humor's void and numb
And I'm bored to tears.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RonForchetteRonForchette Posts: 175
    Welcome to 2005! It's nice to see you!
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • Options
    Welcome to 2005! It's nice to see you!

They were a horribly over-rated band back then too. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    They were a horribly over-rated band back then too. :p

You said it! To me they are the epitome of mediocrity, I don't think they're awful, but they're not in the least bit exciting.
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Agreed in their ehhness. Nothing truly inspiring about them...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i love a few of their songs, but they got old for me....the songs are so repetitive, and the live show is even more so.....shame, they got some great lyrics and well told story-type songs
  • Options
    Forgive my prescriptivist attitude shining through but I can't stand British bands who overemphasise their accents when singing. It really gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    You said it! To me they are the epitome of mediocrity, I don't think they're awful, but they're not in the least bit exciting.

Thats bollox.....I can't think of another band around now of a similar age that are as good as them. Alex Turner is very talented, the drummer is savage.
  • Options
    ehh, im not huge on these guys. not bad, but not great. i can't believe they were hyped up to be "the next beatles" hahaha
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • Options
    release30 wrote:
    Their first album is awsome!"Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"...the second one is pretty good also...Favorite Worst Nightmare
    dont really reply much on this forum, but erm no! they are what music isnt about, embarrassed to to be british half the time with the charts, ie pete docherty amy winehouse all just junkies, ok rant over.
    hows life treating u? better yet, how r u treating life?
  • Options
    Django wrote:
    Thats bollox.....I can't think of another band around now of a similar age that are as good as them. Alex Turner is very talented, the drummer is savage.

Kings Of Leon are of similar ages, and are way better.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Django wrote:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eoUDjFMgUKM

All these members are now 21.

Truth be told though, the bassist is a huge arctic monkeys fan!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    totally with you there, they are amazing!!!
    hows life treating u? better yet, how r u treating life?
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    This House is a Circus is awesome, Alex is a great lyricist.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    Facepollution and Keeponrockin make valid points: the Arctic Monkeys are skanks. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Facepollution and Keeponrockin make valid points: the Arctic Monkeys are skanks. :D

Ha ha, "skanks", not heard that one in a while! I don't think I would be so disinterested if the music press hadn't hailed them as the second coming -seriously I was expecting something truly mind-blowing, and when I heard it, it was like 'is that it?' They're boring as hell live too.
  • Options
    ZjorZZjorZ Posts: 15
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=eoUDjFMgUKM

All these members are now 21.

Truth be told though, the bassist is a huge arctic monkeys fan!

OMG these guys are really good, thx for letting me know ;).

I liked Arctic Monkeys' first album when it came out, but I don't really listen to them these days. The drummer is awesome though. But I think they were a bit overhyped, first album was way better then the 2nd one.
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    Forgive my prescriptivist attitude shining through but I can't stand British bands who overemphasise their accents when singing. It really gets on my nerves.

Exactly! It drives me insane. Scouting For Girls make me wish I was deaf!
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    Ha ha, "skanks", not heard that one in a while! I don't think I would be so disinterested if the music press hadn't hailed them as the second coming -seriously I was expecting something truly mind-blowing, and when I heard it, it was like 'is that it?' They're boring as hell live too.

The press are so fucking quick to do that now: Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Libertines, Razorlight, whoever... they're all the same band with slightly different trendy t-shirts.
  • Options
    Gold 26 wrote:
    Exactly! It drives me insane. Scouting For Girls make me wish I was deaf!
    Glad I'm not on my own here. The last three singles by that band sounded exactly the same. The Kooks piss me off too; they all came from a private school! They put the accents on!
  • Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    Glad I'm not on my own here. The last three singles by that band sounded exactly the same. The Kooks piss me off too; they all came from a private school! They put the accents on!

Yes, The Kooks also. And The Feeling. Grrrrrr!
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options

KOL are good, but I prefer the arctics
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    y'all is crazy

the arctics are a great band and have written some of the best new music to come out in long time

the best stuff hasnt even been released

catch them on a good night, and they are even better live.
    Ive seen them six times and twice I was blown away at how much energy they create.

I can understand the hate because of the shitty attitude turner sometime displays, the hype and over exposure, but they are the real deal.
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    In the UK, this band is hailed as the second coming of Christ and (I know it shouldn't) it really just makes me listen to the music and think "Is that it?" They're not bad. Alex Turner is a great lyric writer (the accent grates on you though) but they're not The Beatles or anything. Just a band that politicans fall back on when they want to name drop a couple of bands that make themselves appear relevant ;)

I have to say though, out of all this skinny-jeans/Topman-shagging/annoying-jangly-guitar-playing Indie scene, they're not bad at all.
    I can understand the hate because of the shitty attitude turner sometime displays, the hype and over exposure, but they are the real deal.

I'm not a follower of them really but what kind of shitty attitude does Turner display? He always strikes me as a pretty decent guy in interviews and the like.

Actually this is exactly what I mean with the accents. It's really annoying, and I'm English for Christs sake! On the other side of the pond, I think Kings Of Leon and The Hold Steady suffer from that a bit as well, but not to the point that I won't listen to them. Because they actually make good music.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    In the UK, this band is hailed as the second coming of Christ and (I know it shouldn't) it really just makes me listen to the music and think "Is that it?" They're not bad. Alex Turner is a great lyric writer (the accent grates on you though) but they're not The Beatles or anything. Just a band that politicans fall back on when they want to name drop a couple of bands that make themselves appear relevant ;)

I have to say though, out of all this skinny-jeans/Topman-shagging/annoying-jangly-guitar-playing Indie scene, they're not bad at all.

I'm not a follower of them really but what kind of shitty attitude does Turner display? He always strikes me as a pretty decent guy in interviews and the like.

Same here seems like a fairly down to earth kind of Sheffield guy as most of them are.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    muppet wrote:

A couple of times that Ive seen him, he was a bit condescending to the crowd and Ive seen him brush by fans who waited for him.

But Ive also seen him take five minutes to talk to a fan and let them take a ton of pics.

Just saying I can see why he might brush some folks the wrong way.

But he is a fantastic frontman and musician.
  • Options
    The thing with the english accents...to me there's two types of english bands/acts

The London mockney cockney thing which I call The "bish bosh wallop yer 'avin' a giraffe" bands. Examples The Jam, The streets, Lilly Allen,

And then there's the bands from the north of england which I call The Byker Groove bands such as Arctic Monkeys, the futureheads, Maximo Park.

Ps. Mike Skinner is from Birmingham, I know.
  • Options
    Django wrote:
    The thing with the english accents...to me there's two types of english bands/acts

The London mockney cockney thing which I call The "bish bosh wallop yer 'avin' a giraffe" bands. Examples The Jam, The streets, Lilly Allen,

And then there's the bands from the north of england which I call The Byker Groove bands such as Arctic Monkeys, the futureheads, Maximo Park.

Ps. Mike Skinner is from Birmingham, I know.

You clearly haven't heard of The Wurzels then.:D
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    Looking for an Arctic monkeys thread, their AM album is awesome! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    edited October 2021
    Looking for an Arctic monkeys thread, their AM album is awesome! 

few threads out there. I post on/bookmarked this one.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 429
    My late mother was friends with Alex's granny  - just thought I'd let you know!

Signed copy of "Five Minutes With Arctic Monkeys"? No problem!
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24