Why aren't Rush in the RRHOF

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Lizard wrote:
    Loved Rush in the 80s....then PJ came along and stole my heart.

Still have a soft spot for their ealier stuff like The Trees and Losing It is my favorite. And about Canadian bands.......
    Lover Boy anyone??? :p. ((I think they are from there).

LOSING IT

The dancer slows her frantic pace
    In pain and desperation,
    Her aching limbs and downcast face
    Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire,
    With just the briefest pause
    The flooding through her memory,
    The echoes of old applause.

She limps across the floor
    And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stare with glassy eyes
    Defies the empty page
    His beard is white, his face is lined

And streaked with tears of rage.

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
    With passion and precision,
    But now his mind is dark and dulled
    By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
    Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
    To live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about
    The things we'd like to be
    Sadder still to watch it die
    Than never to have known it
    For you, the blind who once could see
    The bell tolls for thee...

I totally forgot about them. What was that song about working for the weekend? That's my mode right now.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• at Madison Square Garden - what an amazing show they put on. It is a crime they are not in the RROF. They deserve to be in - the three of them can play music with anyone.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    They are one of the top 2-3 major omissions from the HoF. The judges are idiots. They have the second longest streak of consecutive gold records and have been a touring staple for 33 years...and yet bands like The O'Jays are in there? Give me a break. Screw the HoF.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    So glad to see I'm not the only thinking they should be in there!

I have been watching old Rush on youtube and it's bringing back my love for them!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
    mindi wrote:
    So glad to see I'm not the only thinking they should be in there!

I have been watching old Rush on youtube and it's bringing back my love for them!

I'm a Rush freak. This thread wasn't going to go unnoticed by me, that's for sure.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    They should be in. Fantastic, influential band. I'll post more later.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    A band that has been able to quietly stand the test of time and maybe over time will tell RRHOF it's time to invite them in.

This year they put on the best show that I've seen since seeing my first on the g under p world tour.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    They would be a disgrace to the rock and roll hall of fame. Absolutely dreadful band and those screeching woman vocals do not help at all.
    shocking the mid west doesnt like prog rock
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • anybody recommend any great albums of theirs? haven't heard much of them.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
    anybody recommend any great albums of theirs? haven't heard much of them.

It all depends on YOUR tastes, likes and dislikes. They will be various opinions on this but for me it's g under p, 2112, Vapor Trails, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures (mainly for the song The Camera Eye)

Then you have the LIVE albums and a must is Exiit Stage Left and Rush In Rio.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(album) and click whatever you choose to guide you to song listing and so on. youTube is great to listen various songs over the years like one of my favorites The Camera Eye. Always loved the pace tempos what a workout for drummer NP. :)

Peace

• g under p wrote:
    It all depends on YOUR tastes, likes and dislikes. They will be various opinions on this but for me it's g under p, 2112, Vapor Trails, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures (mainly for the song The Camera Eye)

Then you have the LIVE albums and a must is Exiit Stage Left and Rush In Rio.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(album) and click whatever you choose to guide you to song listing and so on. youTube is great to listen various songs over the years like one of my favorites The Camera Eye. Always loved the pace tempos what a workout for drummer NP. :)

Peace
    oh.... so you got your username from them?
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
    oh.... so you got your username from them?

I posted about what it means to me earlier in this thread page 3 I think. To answer your question Yes but more than that.

Peace

anybody recommend any great albums of theirs? haven't heard much of them.

I think for beginners you should start with Moving Pictures and 2112. 2112 being a good representation of early Rush, and MP a good album simply for the fact that it has songs you will recognize (Tom Sawyer, Limelight) and is a solid album overall. I agree with the poster above, The Camera Eye flat out destroys. If you like those albums, start backfilling your catalog. I usually recommend going in chronological order, but whether or not to buy the first, self-titled album is totally up to you. Neil Peart, the drummer, joined them for their 2nd disc and has been with them ever since. The first album is very raw and is not indicative of what their sound would become, however Working Man is a great song. Heck, there are lots of good songs on there but it's not 'Rush' per se. Get 2112 and MP, then fill in with Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, All The Worlds A Stage, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves (also with a few radio songs you should know), Exit...Stage Left and Signals. Then head into the later material from there if you dig it all to that point. I don't think the mid 80's era, or after, is a good place to start, that is why I do not think Grace Under Pressure (which I love) is a good 1st album recommendation.
    The Camera Eye is really good.

Off Permanent Waves I love Natural Science.

I also really like Roll The Bones but know a bunch of people at The Rush Forum hate it.

For older stuff I prefer Hemispheres over 2112.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    mindi wrote:
    Oh and a random useless fact about me, when I was pregnant with my twins and we thought I was going to have boys I wanted to name them Eddie and Geddy soooo bad. I guess it was lucky I had girls,LOL, they are Clara and Eleanore. But my first son's middle name is Neil and my second son's middle name is Alexander, I really needed a Geddy!

i think that would be sufficient in a court of law to rule you an unfit parent ;)

rush isn't in the hall of fame becos when the voting council listened to their albums to evaluate them, they were rocked so hard half their heads exploded and they couldn't muster enough votes to pass.

i only have the greatest hits (spirit of radio) but it's amazing how many classic songs are on their.
    mindi wrote:
    The Camera Eye is really good.

Off Permanent Waves I love Natural Science.

I also really like Roll The Bones but know a bunch of people at The Rush Forum hate it.

For older stuff I prefer Hemispheres over 2112.

I love Roll the Bones! Is it really hated by hardcore Rush fans (kind of like Last Kiss) here? I was surprised no one had brought it up.

I think a good place to start is "Chronicles" which has a great representation of them up to the beginning of the 90s. I wonder if it is still in print. It is more encompassing than "Spirit of radio" but is similiar is that it is amazing how many classic songs are on it. It's one of the best cds I have.

I would also like to give props to "Time Stand Still", which I don't think has been mentioned.
  • g under p wrote:
    My favorite RUSH song...

Red Sector A lyrics

All that we can do is just survive
    All that we can do to help ourselves is stay alive

Ragged lines of ragged grey
    Skeletons, they shuffle away
    Shouting guards and smoking guns
    Will cut down the unlucky ones

I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed
    A wound that will not heal
    A heart that cannot feel
    Hoping that the horror will recede
    Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed

Sickness to insanity
    Prayer to profanity
    Days and weeks and months go by
    Don't feel the hunger
    Too weak to cry

I hear the sound of gunfire at the prison gate
    Are the liberators here?
    Do I hope or do I fear?
    For my father and my brother, it's too late
    But I must help my mother stand up straight

Are we the last ones left alive?
    Are we the only human beings to survive?

Peace

That is one of my top 3, if not my favorite Rush song as well. Grace is a great record.
    I don't know how I forgot La Villa Strangiato!! It is really one of their best IMO of course!!

And there are no lyrics so even the Geddy haters can listen.

I don't know how anyone could listen to it and not admit what excellent musicians they all are.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    [size=+2]YYZ!!!![/size]
    :):)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Lizard wrote:

hell ya!

The hall of fame is a joke - it took van halen how long to get in? Musically, rush is far better then half the bands that are in, whether you like lee's vocals or not you can t deny their incredilbe musicianship. And since when should music be judged solely on the vocals? There is no reason why rush shouldnt be in the hall - they dont really give credit to prog rock or metal bands in the rrhof.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • one word reason why rush should be in the RRHoF ... Chronicles
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
    Lizard wrote:
    I think I have that somewhere on an old VHS tape!

I loves Neil!
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I am going tonight to see them live and I will report back tomorrow and let you know if they should or shouldn't be in the HOF. :) Oh wait I've been seeing them live for almost 20 years. I still need tonight to come to a conclusion.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    one word reason why rush should be in the RRHoF ... Chronicles

Exactly
    So after last nights show, it appears that nobody from the HOF has ever seen Rush live?

Peart has more drumming ability in his penis then 99% of the drummers in the hall. Geddy stills plays without a pick and makes 98% of the bass players in the hall wish they could play like he does. And Alex has a knack for being able to put together some great chords and licks. Anyway, the fact that Rush are not in the hall just goes to show you that the HOF ain't worth jack shit!
    even flow? wrote:
    So after last nights show, it appears that nobody from the HOF has ever seen Rush live?

Peart has more drumming ability in his penis then 99% of the drummers in the hall. Geddy stills plays without a pick and makes 98% of the bass players in the hall wish they could play like he does. And Alex has a knack for being able to put together some great chords and licks. Anyway, the fact that Rush are not in the hall just goes to show you that the HOF ain't worth jack shit!

Glad you enjoyed it. God they put on a great show.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    even flow? wrote:

So.......Neil broke out the penis for the hometown crowd???? ;)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    So.......Neil broke out the penis for the hometown crowd???? ;)

Only for his solo. :)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    even flow? wrote:
    Only for his solo. :)
    Smooth...... :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Smooth...... :)

You know us Canucks, we aren't as uppity about the nudity thing as you people are down there. ;)