Anyone else prefer Radioheads's post OK Computer albums?

13»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    no.
    i love the bends and ok computer is their best album imo. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • no.
    i love the bends and ok computer is their best album imo. :)
    took the words out of my mouth, although i tend to lean more towards the bends as my favorite. i can listen to the bends from start to finish, it's such an amazing album.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    took the words out of my mouth, although i tend to lean more towards the bends as my favorite. i can listen to the bends from start to finish, it's such an amazing album.

well the bends is my fave. but i can appreciate the almost flawlessness of OK. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Man, you depress me. You haven't an ounce of respect or idea of what I'm saying. It's kind of like my issue with The Beatles, they do nothing for me, but at least I can respect that they pushed music forward. As sedate and boring as you may find The Bends, at the time it really was pushing boundaries, but hey, why would you take that from me, what do I know...........

What is more weird for me, is that you were so impressed by OK Computer at the age of 9, yet Kid A passed you by, despite the impression the previous album made on you. It almost makes me laugh how critics and fans were bowled over by Kid A, the previous album was such a revelation that anything past it MUST be good. Are you impervious to the influence of culture? I think not. Whether you like it or not, you were slap bang in the middle of the shittest music scene for a long time. Late 90's alternative music blew fucking hard, and then there's Radiohead who came good with OK Computer, then reinvented themselves in the most extreme way as possible, only his voice links the two incarnations. But by that point Radiohead were so highly revered because of OK Computer, that Thom York could have farted down a mic and still sold a million records. That kudos made an indelible mark that remains even now. The band are so unpredictable, they could come out with ANYTHING and people's automatic response would be positive, purely because they wouldn't know any other reaction.
    Kid A passed me by at the time because I am only 19. For fuck sake, did you listen to stuff like that aged 12? OK Computer was a fluke. I was exposed to it unintentionally through my brother. I came to Kid A through choice as an older, wiser, more musically aware listener than I ever was when I first heard OK Computer. For me, my love of Kid A has nothing to do with Radiohead being critical darlings. I mean god... Pearl Jam are one of the most critically overlooked bands I can think of. No one give's a shit. I still love them. You think I follow what Pitchfork or any of that bollocks says? It's about the music man. I LIKE the music on Kid A more than on The Bends. My choice. I'm not going to have you make me feel like I'm deluded because I don't buy into your whole "The Bends was revolutionary" bullshit. It's an ok album made at the right time to give the band some exposure. I can't believe what a leap they made with the follow-up but they could never match that doing the same thing. They HAD to go elsewhere. If they had released another "complex" guitar album, you and every other fan of the earlier stuff would have been like "disappointed. not as good as OK computer". you think a band needs to hear that?

and since we're doing parting shots here... you like Alter Bridge I remember? talk of dull...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Personally I prefer pre OK Computer.

I love Pablo Honey and The Bends... and I love some of OK Computer... after that I can take or leave them.

The Bends is a masterpiece IMHO! :)
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022, Manchester 2024.
  • Nah, I wouldn't say I'd prefer them at all. However, their new one is on par with The Bends and OK Computer. Very memorable and beautiful.

Pablo Honey gets a lot of flack from Radiohead fans, however, it really is a showcase for just how great of a singer Thom is. He howls on that disc.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • eoboeobo Posts: 102
    the first three will always be my favourites merely because I obsessed over them as a child and teenager. I bought Kid A when it came out but have neverheard amnesiac and Hail to the Thief bored me senseless. Methinks inrainbows is a perfect mix of the old style, guitar ridden radiohead with the kid A style minimilism with a little bit of epicness thrown in there for good measure.

Some albums may be better than others. But it's still all good.
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    The Bends and OK Computer would be in my top 20 albums. The Bends has a special place in my heart, soundtrack of my 1996 summer (I got into it late). OK Computer is also special, soundtrack of my life for most of 1997. I did like KID A alot, because I was listening to it during a tumultuous time for me, but those 2 records will never mean more than anything done post-OK
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Pablo is average at best, The bends saw huge jump in ability and song writing, I think every track is better than Creep.

Although OK is just genius and my fav album, although Kid A , Amnesiac, Hail and especially In Rainbows are listened to more now. I prefer a Band to progress and evolve and Radiohead define that as do the latter albums more varied and interesting.

People who see The Bends as Radiohead best album and think after OK they went off the boil, in my view just like them because of the guitar sound and clearly don't get them at all and aren't fans of Radiohead.
  • eoboeobo Posts: 102
    People who see The Bends as Radiohead best album and think after OK they went off the boil, in my view just like them because of the guitar sound and clearly don't get them at all and aren't fans of Radiohead.

that's a bit harsh like.
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • I´m happy that Radiohead released In Rainbows, and the fact that it was a good collection of songs. Now they have made 3 great albums and a lot of overrated stuff. The 3 are: Ok Computer, The Bends and In Rainbows, I really don´t like the rest. They also had more energy at their shows some years ago. In My world they are a guitarband.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Pablo Honey : Mostly complete shite, but 'Creep' save the album. 3/10
    The Bends : Very good album. 8/10
    Ok, Computer : Stunning. 10/10
    Kid A : What a pile of wank. 1/10.
    Amnesiac : See Above. 1/10
    Hail...Thief : Sounds like a collection of B-Sides. 3/10
    In Rainbows : Scarily starting to sound like a Coldplay tribute band. 3.10.
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Soupy wrote:
    Pablo Honey : Mostly complete shite, but 'Creep' save the album. 3/10
    The Bends : Very good album. 8/10
    Ok, Computer : Stunning. 10/10
    Kid A : What a pile of wank. 1/10.
    Amnesiac : See Above. 1/10
    Hail...Thief : Sounds like a collection of B-Sides. 3/10
    In Rainbows : Scarily starting to sound like a Coldplay tribute band. 3.10.

Man you're tough. I don't get why pablo honey gets so much hate. It's not a great album but it's a nice debut album. Good songs (other than creep I mean), such as blow out, it's not a killer first album à la Ten but it's still nice.
    As for Kid A, I think it's all a matter of how much you want to listen to it. I hated that record for a long time, then it just changed in a matter of days, and it certainly isn't a pile of wank.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    how does a band make a comeback when they are still one of the largest bands in the world?

the same way u2 did.
    Nah, I wouldn't say I'd prefer them at all. However, their new one is on par with The Bends and OK Computer. Very memorable and beautiful.

Pablo Honey gets a lot of flack from Radiohead fans, however, it really is a showcase for just how great of a singer Thom is. He howls on that disc.

yeah, i've never understood the pablo hate. it's weird. people either base it on how annoying creep became, or say the rest of the album was a waste. creep is ok, but there are some pretty impressive moments on there. i totally agree about the singing though. that might be an even bigger beef than the lack of guitar for me. thom doesn't sing anymore. i haven't understood a lyrics he's sung in 10 years. it's mumbling and whining. he doesn't have one tenth the passion in his voice that he had on the most mediocre tracks from the first 3 albums.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    the same way u2 did.

Difference here is that I don't see many fans or critics clamoring for Radiohead to return to their roots. The majority would probably say they're better now. They're certainly more popular now than they were during the release of The Bends (in large part due to The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A).
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    As a new found listener of the band, and someone who was around when creep blew up huge here in the states and the subsequent media darlings tag that followed the bends and ok computer releases. I think the first 4 albums are my faves. A co-worker burned me copies of the bends and ok computer great start, if it had been post kid a stuff I would have really been turned off.

So after 3 months of absorbing the band and kicking my self missing out when bends & ok computer were new, my list would be: the bends>ok computer>kid a>pablo honey>in rainbows. I tried and she (my co-worker) said amnesiac and hail take some time to sink in but after many repeat listens amnesiac feels like the scraps of kid a & 2+2=5 is the only good song on hail to me.

I really like the new album in rainbows, and don't get all the pablo hate. I had the advantage though of being able listen to all the albums back to back without having to wait and anticipate the next one. My listening order was a little out of wack, the bends,ok computer,pablo,kid a and the following albums in chronological order.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
    digster wrote:
    Difference here is that I don't see many fans or critics clamoring for Radiohead to return to their roots. The majority would probably say they're better now. They're certainly more popular now than they were during the release of The Bends (in large part due to The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A).

im not so sure about that. the majority havent bought an album since ok computer.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    1. ok computer
    2. kid a = amnesiac
    3. the bends
    4. hail to the thief
    5. in rainbows
    6. pablo honey
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    Got better?! Are you kidding me! He used to sing, now all he does is whine, dude sounds like he's crying all the time.

I FAR preferred Radiohead when they had some energy about them. Of course there is a time and a place for their more experimental stuff, and I really don't mind some of it, but the about turn they did after OK Computer reeked of pretention. A band hell- bent on making 'unique' music for the sake of it. What ever happened to hooks and melody? The Bends was a timeless album built on solid melodies that will be remembered for far longer than the tedious, pseudo-electronic shite they pedal these days.

What irritates me even more (and I know I'm going to take an absolute battering for it), is the fact that America didn't even pick up on Radiohead when they were at their most accessible. They heard us Brits had a secret band we all loved, and upon the release of Kid A thought "well this MUST be the future of music. Never mind the fact that the new stuff threw away all those stunning crescendos and brilliant three pronged guitar interplay - the very features that made them stand out from all the other indie shit that was and still is around.

you're an idiot.