Anyone here still buy physical CD's?

124»

Comments

• augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    wolfbear wrote:
    I don't know where you live but I just googled a few sites, BestBuy and Amazon among them and all were well under $20, most under $13. :)

http://tinyurl.com/7dv3f

i stand by what i said

perhaps you get free shipping and no tax added to your online purchases?

edit to make tinyurl link....fucking link doesnt work perfectly...SO search liam finn when you get to best buy tinyurl link...$18.99 PLUS SHIPPING AND TAXES
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    That link didn't show anything? :confused: I do get free shipping on Amazon and we have a BestBuy here locally. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Still buy cd's, when possible from small independent record shops. Have some downloads as well, itunes....not a big fan of MP3 as a format. I rarely download illegally.

I especially make a point of paying for music by newer bands.

Big bands like the beatles, U2, Led Zep, Stones ect.....both the industry & the band members have made more than enough money.
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I buy CDs. I like the packaging, the physical thing on the shelf.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I always buy cd's, records etc. It never ends!
    The only things I download are rarities and bootlegs.
    wolfbear wrote:
    That link didn't show anything? :confused: I do get free shipping on Amazon and we have a BestBuy here locally. :)

funny all you had to do was input Liam Finn in the search field and it came up $18.99(shipping and tax extra) oh and congrats for getting free shipping at amazon...perhaps everyone does! ;)

I'm done proving my point...I've heard that people in the UK pay twice what Americans do for cds...trust me, $20 cds are everywhere!
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    augustwest wrote:
    I'm done proving my point...I've heard that people in the UK pay twice what Americans do for cds...trust me, $20 cds are everywhere!
    Yeah over here a standard price is ~£12 for a new CD.

I buy all mine 2nd hand for £4-8.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I, for one, actually enjoy stealing ...

:D.........:eek:
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I probably buy 2 CD's per week.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    You can get it for free.

I stand by and with those who download illegally.

So you don't like to support the bands you claim to love, thus you end up screwing them over? You think you are entitled to their music for free?

Interesting.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I've honestly never downloaded a single song, and dont plan on starting.
    I also like to buy magazines that I can hold in my hand.
    I also prefer to go to an art museum, instead of looking at art on the net.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    BinFrog wrote:
    So you don't like to support the bands you claim to love, thus you end up screwing them over? You think you are entitled to their music for free?

Interesting.
    Not interesting at all, just another symptom of a world full of people who think the world revolves around them and they are owed/entitled to something for nothing...actually it is sad some people have no problem with out right and blatant theft....you may as well stroll into the convenience store down the street with a friggin' pistol demanding money and cigarettes if its okay to illegally download music
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Not interesting at all, just another symptom of a world full of people who think the world revolves around them and they are owed/entitled to something for nothing...actually it is sad some people have no problem with out right and blatant theft....you may as well stroll into the convenience store down the street with a friggin' pistol demanding money and cigarettes if its okay to illegally download music
    That's a bit extreme...
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    To be honest, and if we were honest with ourselves, we wouldnt act like those who download and engage in filesharing were criminals and deviants. A recent study showed of ALL MUSIC consumed and obtained in the u.s. a full on 57 percent was downloaded illegally. So thats a clear majority people. Lets face it, our generation, and the new generation doesnt buy cd's. I dont. Who on here does? Who wants to spend 100 bucks on 5 cd's at a store, when you can buy a 100 pack of blanks for 20?

There are bands like Tool who put effort into their artwork and album covers and liner notes, but lets face it, beyond the art work, the lyrics to any song is available on any song lyrics website. And we have access to more photos than the photos in liner notes.

I have no respect for any musician who comes out in opposition to file sharing. Sure, they may dislike it, but to suggest people who download illegally are somehow deserving of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fines and possible jail time, thats absurd. These people arent transporting and obtaining crack, they are downloading music! The industry and buisness model has changed. As far as I am concerned, any musician needs to understand that or find a new line of work. Either you recognize that filesharing is how most people get music nowadays, or you live in denial and think you can stop it, or curb it, or strike fear into downloaders by severly punishing a few people. Take your pick. I know which side I choose.

Music should be fairly paid for, but if I am having to pay 20 bucks for one cd, thats absurd and I refuse to do it.

I say good luck to those who are discouraging downloading of music. Good luck stopping something that cant be stopped. Maybe you want to catch that falling star I see in the sky as well, while your at it!

Music is important to people. Music is essential for some, and is a job or employment for some. But if you think for one minute people are going to go and spend 20 bucks buying the new Wolf Parade, when they can download it for free, you are on LSD or something.

Do musicians deserve to be paid, sure. But lets face it, they arent getting much of that 20 bucks

its true how can you respect a person who wants to get paid for their work. i find that this whole treand of STEALING music is sad and pathetic. also i hope that your not on that AI tread stating that AI is ruining music becuase in reality you are ruining Music. and finally, you saying that musicians are not getting much are that $20 so your solutaion is to make sure they don't even get that. thats smart
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    Django wrote:
    Still buy cd's, when possible from small independent record shops. Have some downloads as well, itunes....not a big fan of MP3 as a format. I rarely download illegally.

I especially make a point of paying for music by newer bands.

Big bands like the beatles, U2, Led Zep, Stones ect.....both the industry & the band members have made more than enough money.

so are we letting other people now decided what we should get money wise. wow that not nig brother is it?
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309

Yup. That's why I find it interesting. I find it interesting that people try to validate being a thief. When people brag about downloading hundreds of complete albums and never paying a dime, it says wonders about their character and the kind of person they are.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Yep, just bought the new Filter a few days ago.

And if it's a CD that I want badly that's out of print, I just go on eBay and get it there.
    fowls wrote:
    That's a bit extreme...
    Extreme in what way? The convenience store part?
    Perhaps, but it is armed robbery....the thieves of which we speak are just armed with computers.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    fowls wrote:
    Yeah over here a standard price is ~£12 for a new CD.

I buy all mine 2nd hand for £4-8.

thanks for this...i had a good idea but didn't know for sure

now i wonder if wolfbear knows the exchange rate!! LMAO!

oh and um 12# for a new cd is a f'n rip off!!! i would buy 2nd hand as well :)
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Yes, I still buy, but only PJ's albums.
    As I said before I have almost all of them (legal), even I have tapes (about 10 years ago I didn't have cd player...), and need to buy "Binaural"' "Riot act" and "Lost dogs".
    And I consider buying PJ' cds for my friends (as a gift):) It's good for two reason - 1-giving sth makes me happy, -2- it means that PJ would have more cds' sold.
    Hmm. Am I still normal ?
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
    halszka123 wrote:
    Yes, I still buy, but only PJ's albums.
    As I said before I have almost all of them (legal), even I have tapes (about 10 years ago I didn't have cd player...), and need to buy "Binaural"' "Riot act" and "Lost dogs".
    And I consider buying PJ' cds for my friends (as a gift):) It's good for two reason - 1-giving sth makes me happy, -2- it means that PJ would have more cds' sold.
    Hmm. Am I still normal ?
    While I would never consider spending my own money to buy a friend a PJ cd in order to boost their sales, I would say you are definitely normal as compared to those among us who prefer to burgle their music...now that is out of the ordinary

• halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I, for one, actually enjoy stealing but haven't downloaded any music illegally. Only because I can't figure out how to do it on my Commodore 64. Instead, I have my friends steal for me and burn me disks. I only buy disks from artists I really like or the ones who's free samples I obtained turned me on to their music.

I am a musician and I encourage all of you to steal from me and download my music for free...
    i agree with You. Not about stealing, but - in fact -downloading is a kind of stealing. This topic was on this board once...
    And I wrote over -I buy only the music I love.
    But who knows? Sometimes I downloaded sth and then I can find that I love it...
    It's a good promotion to show and let download Your music. I mean, the world is changing. I think music on cds will not be longer so popular, and maybe artists will not longer make money selling cds, vinyls or tapes. Maybe not so big money. I know it's wrong, that people steal music...
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    To add one more annoying thing. I wish extra tracks were on the physical CD's as opposed to being on itunes exclusively.

Those are the tracks that scream "Download Illegally"

Ooh - me too! I still purchase the CD and then burn it to my iTunes so I can listen on my iPod. However, it sucks that I paid full price for "into the wild" on CD but didn't get those extra tracks!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Tenacious BTenacious B Posts: 77
    I still buy CD or vinyl (sometimes) for my favorites....like top 10 bands. Much prefer to have physical CD. I like to leaf through CD artwork and such. Still brings me back when I look at artwork like for Vs. I remember getting that CD at midnight of the release and reading every word of the CD insert that night...of course while listening to what will always be one of my favorite CD's of all time

I buy DL's for fringe bands and iTunes exclusives. Like for Icky Thump, I bought the CD, Vinyl, and the iTunes version for the extra tracks.
  • Tenacious BTenacious B Posts: 77
    *dawn* wrote:
    Ooh - me too! I still purchase the CD and then burn it to my iTunes so I can listen on my iPod. However, it sucks that I paid full price for "into the wild" on CD but didn't get those extra tracks!

It's too bad there isn't some way to have the CD act as a key to getting the DL of the bonus tracks. It is kind of a rip off for those tracks not to be available for purchasing the actual CD.

That said, I hate the bonus tracks for Into the Wild and wish I didn't get them.
  • I still buy cd's, not as much as i used to. A lot of times I just buy a few songs here and there for my ipod if i'm not familiar with the band, but the bands i'm really into, i buy the cd.