Anyone here still buy physical CD's?

Comments

• MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I always buy CDs. I don't actually feel like I own an album until i physically buy it. When I download stuff I look at it kind of as a preview. Usually I won't even get into that much until I actually buy it.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Whenever I can spare some money on my university fund, I make my way to the CD store. (Actually, even when I know I shouldn't buy a CD, I find myself buying two or three) The physical CD is a big deal for me, the whole downloading thing I'm not a huge fan of, but since it's just so easy to do and accessible, I, like many other's do it far too much. I know that if I won a HUGE sum of money, a good portion would be spent on CDs! :D
  • I buy albums. Always will.

Of course, it doesn't help that I live in a small village with no available hi-speed internet (yes, such places still exist). So even if I WANTED to download an album (and oh, how I want to hear the leak of Evil Urges...), I am up shit creek with no paddle. If physical CDs become extinct, so does my ability to obtain new music, lol.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Not since Avocado :o
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Julien wrote:
    I bought physical CDs.
    downloads suck ! I like to have the real cd, with the cover, lyrics, etc.
    I donwload a bit but something like 10% of the music I listen (except for PJ boots).

same here. i love having the real thing in front of me. I only download (full albums might i add) music if i A)not too crazy about the artist but just want a taste B) already had the cd, or knew the music well before and don't feel like spending $12
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Usually used.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    I still buy CDs (often of albums that are years old). Like others, I love going to the shop and buying the physical item and owning it as a complete package with the artwork/liner notes etc. (As an aside, I also still make tapes for my car stereo from them!). My music collection is probably my most treasured possession.
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I have never stolen someone's songs. I buy the CD. In come cases... I buy the physical CD as well as the download.
    I know a few young artist's that are just trying to make a living. They don't want to be a billionaire rock star... they just want to make a living out of it instead of being stuck in a fucking cubicle like me.
    And the same goes for established artitst, such as Pearl Jam. I pay them for their past works... in hope that they spend the mone on new projects.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Last CD I bought was Into The Wild but only cos me pc was fucked at the time. I'm not fussed whether I'm getting FLAC or mp3, though I have decent separates. It's not the same, but c'mon, it ain't costing nothing and the large majority of the music I rip I would'nt have bought or in most cases heard otherwise.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    Since last Summer, I've gone back to buying actual CDs on Amazon since most are cheaper than on iTunes.

I only get iTunes albums if someone gives me a gift card. I got a gift card last Xmas and got Appetite For Destruction and both Use Your Illusion albums from GnR.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    I haven't downloaded an illegal album since Riot Act :) (I still bought it)

I prefer physical cd's, go to best buy on tuesday and they're $9.99.

The only thing illegal I do is get burned copies of some CD's that I wouldn't normally buy.

Yes me too! Wal Mart and other major retailers sell them cheep for the first week of the record's debut. I enjoy the physical CD's because it seperates myself from every other person in my high school. I do download bootlegs and the such though.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    Yep...I much prefer to buy a cd then download anything.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Count me among those still buying CDs. :)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • paige_peachpaige_peach Posts: 35
    Number one annoying argument against any cause:

"Good luck stopping something that cant be stopped. Maybe you want to catch that falling star I see in the sky as well, while your at it!"

Murders, Rape, and deaths due to DWI happen, and cannot be fully stopped. Does that mean we stop trying?

Yes, the fines are ridiculous, CD prices are rocketing... but really everything is expensive.

70% of my music is on CDs. I just hate the anti-piracy crap that makes it so I can't put my Favorite CDs onto my mp3 player.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    CDs & vinyl are all I buy...mp3s are shite, I'll never own an ipod
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    PJ Habit wrote:
    CDs & vinyl are all I buy...mp3s are shite, I'll never own an ipod

Agreed :)

Plus, I love the artwork, and that feeling of getting into an album, looking through the booklet, reading the lyrics, looking at the pictures whilst hearing the music for the first time.......

Life's too short to be bitching about prices etc, I'd sooner pay over the odds and get the full album experience, that personally means so much more.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I'm a sucker for pochettes..The thing is that in Europe they are very expensive (from EUR 15...A Nirvana CD goes for EUR 20, WTF??? It's not like they dont produce them anymore!!!) so cant afford to buy a CD i'm not sure I'll like so I listen on the net and then buy it on Amazon (or here when it's PJ).
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Where the hell are you guys buying CD's for 20 bucks?

The price I pay ranges from 6.99 - 14.99...the average price is usually 9.99-11.99

I've never payed any higher, probably since 1999.

You guys really can't give 10 bucks to a band, record store, or record label that you support?

Try buying a Ted Leo, or Liam Finn cd for less than $19.99. I live in a city with 4 million people, with numerous record stores, and have yet to find a cheap copy of any of his/their cds. If most of the money went to the artist I'd be happy to pay it, but...

The only cheap cds that are put out by record companies are by established acts that will sell tons already, hence many made.

I just can't justify paying $20 for a new cd
  • cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    I bought 2 cd's last weekend, I buy them all the time.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I miss going into music shops and sampling CD's with friends and mingling with other shoppers. Usually, you'll always strike at least one or two conversation with strangers based on the CD's they're browsing through.

I remember there was a music store called Wall To Wall or The Wall (not totally positive though) this was way before Best Buy and FYE was big. Anyways, The Wall was always crowded in the 90's when I was a teen.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    I have over 5,000 cds bought thru the years. In the past 2-3 years the only physical cds I pick up are Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon and once in a blue moon used cds at Aomeba, S.F., CA
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i buy cds religiously
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    I make no apologies. Buying cd's 5 at a time, and listening with headphones to albums before buying them at the store. Thats a time long ago past. it isnt coming back.

You cant either be like Lars Ulrich and other idiot musicians and think you cant stop or stem the tide, and reverse the trend. or you can embrace the idea as Radiohead or NIN or The Raconteurs or Saul Williams have and come up with new innovative ways to release music.

You can be for or against illegal downloading but its a fact of life. The music industry will never be the same...ever.

As I said, its like trying to catch a falling star. Criminalizing, jailing, fining, and criticizing those illegal downloaders is silly and ridiculous.

If a store sells a Bruce springsteen cd for 20 bucks, lets be real people Bruce aint getting 20 bucks. He is getting a few cents. A dollar at most. Guess who gets the rest of the cash? gee I wonder?? Could it be the industry heads, the record labels...etc...

So to act like by stealing music you are taking food out of musicians mouths is absurd.

its the record labels, the contracts in general, the industry as a whole thats too blame.

Why do millions download illegally? Silly question to ask. The real question is why shouldnt we? Having to pay 20 bucks for 12 songs, or on itunes 99 cents per song? No way...

You can get it for free.

I stand by and with those who download illegally.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I only get CD's by bands that either need the money or bands that are always consistent and worth buying. I look down on people that pay for downloads.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    augustwest wrote:
    Try buying a Ted Leo, or Liam Finn cd for less than $19.99. I live in a city with 4 million people, with numerous record stores, and have yet to find a cheap copy of any of his/their cds. If most of the money went to the artist I'd be happy to pay it, but...

The only cheap cds that are put out by record companies are by established acts that will sell tons already, hence many made.

I just can't justify paying $20 for a new cd
    I don't know where you live but I just googled a few sites, BestBuy and Amazon among them and all were well under $20, most under $13. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • I currently have over 9,000 songs on my iPod and the only ones on there that didn't come directly from my personal collection of records and CDs are bootlegs of live shows--PJ and others.

At the risk of sounding elitist, most true music fans I know do not download albums. The reasons are many, but they include the fact that "most" free downloads sound like music filtered through a tin can. Vinyl and analog recordings will always be best, CDs a far distant second, while downloads really are for amatuer hour.

Second, the ritual of visiting your local record shop, thumbing through the shelves, and paying a local merchant for something as valueable as music is something that newer generations are going to miss out on, and this is incredibly sad. Whether you're there for a great "find" or to buy the newest album from a favorite artist, running home with something physical (artwork, liner notes, lyrics, musician credits, etc...) enhances the experience for real music lovers and gives you something to proudly display as a dedicated music collector.

I would never defend the record industry, and I completely agree that they've done this to themselves. I also know that there aren't enough throwbacks like myself to support many independent record shops. However, the fact that so many of you are so quick to proclaim your downloading and CD burning habits makes me very sad. I really expect better from fans of a band like Pearl Jam who have been champions of vinyl, independent record stores, and the like for years. I bought "Ten" as a senior in high school and have bought ever PJ album the day it was released since. I don't feel that old (mid-30s) but the MP3 generation is hurting something I truly cherish.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I still buy cds. Its a hassle to download songs on my computer. I don't own a Ipod either.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I always buy the physical cds.
    I dont care for downloads unless its an exclusive thing or a leak
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I, for one, actually enjoy stealing but haven't downloaded any music illegally. Only because I can't figure out how to do it on my Commodore 64. Instead, I have my friends steal for me and burn me disks. I only buy disks from artists I really like or the ones who's free samples I obtained turned me on to their music.

I am a musician and I encourage all of you to steal from me and download my music for free...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    Everything I buy is still Vinyl's and CD's. I like the fact that there are some bands going out of their way to release vinyl's still. Even Hot Topic has a small vinyl section these days for hardcore/metal/scene bands that release their vinyls. I like physically having the cd's and artwork and putting them up on display in my cases.

When I download a song, it's usually the singles before the album is out so I can put it on my ipod or something. Or if it's an early release download album like the Flobots until they were able to get the record out a few months later. I have a bunch of those free song credits saved up from buying tickets on ticketmaster and just use them for that.

When I'm feeling lonely there's nothing better to do than to go out to a record store to me and go looking around at things and pick up something new.