Anyone here still buy physical CD's?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in Other Music
To be honest, and if we were honest with ourselves, we wouldnt act like those who download and engage in filesharing were criminals and deviants. A recent study showed of ALL MUSIC consumed and obtained in the u.s. a full on 57 percent was downloaded illegally. So thats a clear majority people. Lets face it, our generation, and the new generation doesnt buy cd's. I dont. Who on here does? Who wants to spend 100 bucks on 5 cd's at a store, when you can buy a 100 pack of blanks for 20?

There are bands like Tool who put effort into their artwork and album covers and liner notes, but lets face it, beyond the art work, the lyrics to any song is available on any song lyrics website. And we have access to more photos than the photos in liner notes.

I have no respect for any musician who comes out in opposition to file sharing. Sure, they may dislike it, but to suggest people who download illegally are somehow deserving of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fines and possible jail time, thats absurd. These people arent transporting and obtaining crack, they are downloading music! The industry and buisness model has changed. As far as I am concerned, any musician needs to understand that or find a new line of work. Either you recognize that filesharing is how most people get music nowadays, or you live in denial and think you can stop it, or curb it, or strike fear into downloaders by severly punishing a few people. Take your pick. I know which side I choose.

Music should be fairly paid for, but if I am having to pay 20 bucks for one cd, thats absurd and I refuse to do it.

I say good luck to those who are discouraging downloading of music. Good luck stopping something that cant be stopped. Maybe you want to catch that falling star I see in the sky as well, while your at it!

Music is important to people. Music is essential for some, and is a job or employment for some. But if you think for one minute people are going to go and spend 20 bucks buying the new Wolf Parade, when they can download it for free, you are on LSD or something.

Do musicians deserve to be paid, sure. But lets face it, they arent getting much of that 20 bucks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I haven't downloaded an illegal album since Riot Act :) (I still bought it)

I prefer physical cd's, go to best buy on tuesday and they're $9.99.

The only thing illegal I do is get burned copies of some CD's that I wouldn't normally buy.
    NERDS!
  • C...........D........s?

What are those?
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ive never downloaded an album. not through some sense of altruism but simple cause my computer isnt strong enough.
    if it were a band i was vaguely interested in i probably would. just to see hwat theyre like.
    but if it were a band i had time invested in then id support them by buying a physical CD. plus i need to have the artwork. i need to have something to hold in my hand.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    I still buy CDs, infact I bought 4 in one go the day before yesterday.
    I like to actually OWN a CD that's had, as you say, the linear notes and effort into the art work. I like to sit and say "you know, I fancy listening to such and such an album" and physically getting up and putting it on. I don't know, maybe i'm a bit idealistic about music (I own a fair bit of vinyl for someone my age).... but don't get me wrong, I do 'acquire' downloads too.
    I got my grubby mitts on the new MMJ album in the last few weeks and I listen to it (oh how I listen to it!) but as soon as it becomes avaliable in the music stores/amazon.com, I will be buying it. For me, Downloads provide a *cough* free way to listen to music before you spend your hard earned $20 (where are you buying music from?! I spend £5 tops on CDs!) on the actual CD... a kind of preview if you like.

I will probably continue to buy CDs til they are phased out completely tbh, I like CDs... they're my friends :p
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I still do. :)

Love going to the "record" shop. :p:D

I always come out with something and I have no problem paying for them either. I tend to buy things when sales are on, but if there's a new album out by a favorite artist then I'm usually first in the door to buy whatever the price.

I get songs sent to me and I've been known to burn cd's and get burned cd's from friends but I usually end up buying the actual cd in the end anyway. :)

Hell, the burned copy I got of The Audreys made me covet the actual cd so much I ended up buying several copies and giving them to friends too, so I'm really not seeing how the artist is missing out here. I have no problem supporting the artists, I do have a problem making fat cat music execs fatter but ultimately I'll probably always buy cds. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Hell, the burned copy I got of The Audreys made me covet the actual cd so much I ended up buying several copies and giving them to friends too, so I'm really not seeing how the artist is missing out here. I have no problem supporting the artists, I do have a problem making fat cat music execs fatter but ultimately I'll probably always buy cds. :)

wait til you see the new one. it's beautiful. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I buy about 1/10 of the cds I download.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I bought physical CDs.
    downloads suck ! I like to have the real cd, with the cover, lyrics, etc.
    I donwload a bit but something like 10% of the music I listen (except for PJ boots).
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    wait til you see the new one. it's beautiful. :)

I know! I know! :) I can't wait to get my hands on it!! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    I know! I know! :) I can't wait to get my hands on it!! :)

i got a spare girlie, but unfortunately it aint for you. :( tis en route to old blighty.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i got a spare girlie, but unfortunately it aint for you. :( tis en route to old blighty.

No worries darl, I've got to get an extra to send to the old blighty meself. :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    If I like it I buy it. Simple as that. I enjoy having the 'whole' package as others have said. I do consider it stealing, and therefore won't do it. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    To be honest, and if we were honest with ourselves, we wouldnt act like those who download and engage in filesharing were criminals and deviants. A recent study showed of ALL MUSIC consumed and obtained in the u.s. a full on 57 percent was downloaded illegally. So thats a clear majority people. Lets face it, our generation, and the new generation doesnt buy cd's. I dont. Who on here does? Who wants to spend 100 bucks on 5 cd's at a store, when you can buy a 100 pack of blanks for 20?

There are bands like Tool who put effort into their artwork and album covers and liner notes, but lets face it, beyond the art work, the lyrics to any song is available on any song lyrics website. And we have access to more photos than the photos in liner notes.

I have no respect for any musician who comes out in opposition to file sharing. Sure, they may dislike it, but to suggest people who download illegally are somehow deserving of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fines and possible jail time, thats absurd. These people arent transporting and obtaining crack, they are downloading music! The industry and buisness model has changed. As far as I am concerned, any musician needs to understand that or find a new line of work. Either you recognize that filesharing is how most people get music nowadays, or you live in denial and think you can stop it, or curb it, or strike fear into downloaders by severly punishing a few people. Take your pick. I know which side I choose.

Music should be fairly paid for, but if I am having to pay 20 bucks for one cd, thats absurd and I refuse to do it.

I say good luck to those who are discouraging downloading of music. Good luck stopping something that cant be stopped. Maybe you want to catch that falling star I see in the sky as well, while your at it!

Music is important to people. Music is essential for some, and is a job or employment for some. But if you think for one minute people are going to go and spend 20 bucks buying the new Wolf Parade, when they can download it for free, you are on LSD or something.

Do musicians deserve to be paid, sure. But lets face it, they arent getting much of that 20 bucks
    Well here is what I do. If it is just a few songs I like, yeah, I will download them or listen to them on rhapsody since I pay for that service. You are absolutely correct, the face of music and the whole industry has changed. However, I see both sides of the argument. I believe everyone should be paid for their work (who wouldn't want to be), but national musicians take alot of heat simply because the ones bitching have millions of dollars. Yes, for some bands, that is very true. The music biz is a nationally globalized profession, meaning they can sell their product directly anywhere in the world and though the record co gets the majority of the dough, lets say 10-15cents an album goes a long way for a band. There is tour profit and Merchandise ect. to factor in as well. It's a global market which enables each band member to make millions after years of doing this.

On the contrary, I see the other side of the argument. The music biz is just simply luck of the draw with the major labels especially. I have gotten to know the lead singer of my 2nd alltime fave band and I can tell you from what I've read Interscope fucked them over bad. Do I know any personal details, no. But it sucks to have a band get screwed just because music genre have switched and the band didn't have the particular sound the corporate execs want.
    As you stated though Music distribution has changed. Music Biz people have been forced to adhere to the digital age, even though they still release physical cds.
    Me personally, I still buy local artists bands because they need the money. If I can get a signed album I'll buy it too.
    I also buy physical cds of my favorite bands.
    Also, the industry has used tools to make money in the download age of music. The label will often times add bonus or deluxe editions of albums to Itunes or rhapsody. They may not make as much money but at least the record companies have compromised with us music lovers.

Yep, music has changed, and I'm probably forever fucked living my dream of being in the industy, but oh well.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    To add one more annoying thing. I wish extra tracks were on the physical CD's as opposed to being on itunes exclusively.

Those are the tracks that scream "Download Illegally"
    NERDS!
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    gleemonex wrote:
    I buy about 1/10 of the cds I download.
    same.
  • i buy zero CDs

i am still paying off my credit card debt from the ones i bought in the 90s (back before Best Buy sold them for 10 bucks)

The record industry has my 17 bucks hundreds of times over. If they blew it all so executives could sit in an office high above New York City and sign Nickelback, i feel no remorse for downloading something good and supporting those artists through other means.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    The last time I pulled an album off of a d/l site, it was in '01. I much prefer to actually buy a physical disc than d/l files. So far this year I think I'm up to 8 or so new discs and who knows how many back catalog albums.
  • triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    i buy zero CDs

i am still paying off my credit card debt from the ones i bought in the 90s (back before Best Buy sold them for 10 bucks)

The record industry has my 17 bucks hundreds of times over. If they blew it all so executives could sit in an office high above New York City and sign Nickelback, i feel no remorse for downloading something good and supporting those artists through other means.

Hahaha . . . there was an indie record store two blocks from my college campus. I used to hit it up between classes, I spent way beyond my share in those four years. I still buy cd's of artists I REALLY love to have the physical copy, but a majority of my music these days is downloaded or burned copies. The money I save is more cash for concerts and band merch.

ps. You do know what Chad Kroeger does to Nickelback haters? He sends monster ballads after them :)
  • ChazzChazz Posts: 1,135
    I still buy CD's, I like having the artwork, lyrics, etc, all in one neat little package :) I think it'll be a sad day if/when they phase them out :o
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    In the past week and a half I've purchased 7 physical CD's - though most were used. So yes, I still buy CD's.

However, I download music for a number of reasons.

1. I occasionally download a new album to see what I think of the music. If I like the music I'll buy a copy. If not I'll delete the album shortly there after.

2. I have an emusic account now, so a large portion of my music collection now consists of legal music downloads. I thought I would miss the artwork, but for the most part I don't. The only exception is that on occasion I want to read the liner notes to find out who wrote what, etc.. I also figure that if I really love the album I can always buy a physical copy later on.

3. I have a small vinyl collection including some recent albums which I haven't purchased on CD. I'm not against downloading the digital files for my iPod considering the fact that I did pay the band for the music in another format.

4. This is slightly off topic, but I'm a huge fan of torrents for the purpose of downloading live recordings and rarities, including the occasional album that is no longer in circulation. I love the fact that I can expand my music collection on a daily basis guilt free and for no cost.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Yep... but I buy all my CDs secondhand.

I go to an independent 2nd hand record store and look through all the CDs they have, and pick out what I like. Occasionally get a CD purely because of its artwork since the CDs are so much cheaper I like to take the risk every once in a while. I like the mysticism of it all. Don't know what's there and everythings not quite in alphabetical order because so many people have flicked through them all. I much prefer finding hidden gems and buying them rather than going to the store with a predetermined idea of what I'm going to get.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Still buy Cds! I want something physical to touch and not just a soulless CD-Rom with no artwork. Fuck downloads Except for bootlegs but i would prefer to have the boots from 200 and 2003 back!
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    If it's an album by a artist I love like PJ, REM, Neil Young etc then I always buy the CD no question.
    But with lots of new stuff, I have to admit to downloading. But if I like what I hear, I'll go out and buy the physical CD. That's just me. I like to have it in my hand.

So my message to artist who moan about illegal downloads is, make good music. That way I'll go out and buy it!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Even though i did get a lot of music free, whether it be downloaded for cd borrowed from friends, i still buy cd's to add to my collection. when one of my top bands puts out a cd i always get a physical copy.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I am definitely a physical copy kind of guy, still blow through way too much money buying cds. I am like several others and like to have the artwork and the whole package to hold in my hand. I use itunes to acquire songs I wouldn't be likely to go out and spend the dough on the whole cd just for a couple of songs. Twice I have dl'd leaks of albums but only ones I knew I was going to purchase as soon as it hit the shelves anyway.
    I suppose cd prices are a bit out of control, but WalMart (the evil empire that it is) is currently holding the industry by the balls and demanding more reasonable prices. It did the same about five years or so ago, but probably didn't have as much leverage as it does now in that battle. So I hope some relief is on the way....the only problem is that WalMart carries so little of the music I would purchase and I damn sure don't want to buy a cd with the dirty words edited, so unless the reduced pricing -- if that happens -- carries over to other outlets it won't do me much good
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I still buy plenty of CDs.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    I still buy albums, LP's, VINYL, and used CD's MP3's sound like SHIT if you know anything about music, they are compressed music files that don't sound anything like they were intended to sound like.

So keep downloading all the free mp3 files you want, they sound horrible anyway, if any of the people that download all this crap had half a brain they'd go buy a used turntable somewhere and start listening to music the way it's suppose to sound. Or at least a decent CD player with a good Digital to Analog converter connected to it. WAKE UP young people you're listening to SHITTY sounding music.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• i download then if i like it i buy a cd.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    Cob wrote:
    I still buy albums, LP's, VINYL, and used CD's MP3's sound like SHIT if you know anything about music, they are compressed music files that don't sound anything like they were intended to sound like.

So keep downloading all the free mp3 files you want, they sound horrible anyway, if any of the people that download all this crap had half a brain they'd go buy a used turntable somewhere and start listening to music the way it's suppose to sound. Or at least a decent CD player with a good Digital to Analog converter connected to it. WAKE UP young people you're listening to SHITTY sounding music.

you said it all. mp3s are junk. unless youre downloading flac or shn, with free music you get what you paid for.

that 57% is a bit scary. now artist may not recieve much of the 12.99 cd price but the label is. if the label stops making money you think they will pay for artist studio time? we could very well face bands not releasing anything soon. if you want to hear new songs buy a ticket....... sure people will tape the shows but you'll have a pretty terrible sounding new album, compared to studio.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    nope. very rare that I buy a physical CD anymore. it just got to a point where it got annoying finding places to put them. I couldn't care less about artwork, liner notes and the like. I do download all my junk legally.