Heaviest Albums of the 90's??

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Hey folks.

I was just wandering what you think are the heaviest albums of the 90's are. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE METAL, but I'm looking for more underground stuff, if you know what I mean. Stuff like Sleep, Melvins, Godflesh etc, etc....

I'm just trying to get into some unrecognized/overlooked classics. Thanks.
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    not even a question

Strapping Young Lad's City
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Cryptopsy - None So Vile is a classic death metal record, and also one of the heaviest, speed wise and vocally.
    Neurosis released some of the most crushing stuff of the nineties, check out 'Through Silver in Blood' and 'Times of Grace'. Both absolute gems.
    If you're looking for Sleep-esque stuff, then maybe you should try Electric Wizard. Fantastic brand, try Dopethrone by them.
    Another fantastic doom band would be Esoteric.

There have been so many unbelievably heavy albums in the last decade it's hard to know where to start!
    ohhh good call on Cyptopsy, that's a great record. Brutal as hell. I stand by City, though
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Echoes wrote:
    not even a question

Strapping Young Lad's City

ooo... other SYL fans exist!

The Avenger by Amon Amarth is pretty heavy... bit too much for my liking! Can't really think of heavy stuff that's not metal... :(
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    you mention the melvins so i'll throw out gruntruck's album Push.

They are not metal, but have some nice riffs and are considered heavy. I never understood why they did not get more attention when "grunge" was so popular.

Here is a review from Allmusic. (fyi i can see soundgarden similarities especially coming from Seattle and all, but i never thought it was too similar)

On Push, Gruntruck's second album, the band discards some of its excessive Soundgarden influences and finds its own musical identity. Because of their vicious, sometimes atonal guitar riffage and sparing use of melody, the album only starts sinking in after numerous plays, but as is often the case in such situations, the listeners are ultimately rewarded for their patience. The excellent "Machine Action," "Body Farm," and "Racked" provide the best examples of the band's complex aural blend, and despite a more conventional metal attack, "Tribe" and "Break" also feature surprisingly memorable hooks. On numbers such as "Above Me" and "Slow Scorch" the band reverts to some of its Soundgarden clichés, but this is still a consistent and interesting album.

Also i see Sleep how about the other gods of stoner rock Kyuss?

I have always been partial to their album Welcome To Sky Valley. Agian not metal but cool riffs that rock.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Welcome to Sky Valley is a definite must-have alright.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Unida - Coping with the Urban Coyote

A band of John Garcia, who was the former singer of Kyuss. Great album.
  • Here's a brilliant album to check out:
    The Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
    Brilliant, slow, crushing doom album in the vein of Sabbath etc. a true heavy classic.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    bricks are heavy - L7...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

\m/
  • Welcome to Sky Valley is a definite must-have alright.

I'll second this.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    Return Of The Rental...hard Ass Guiter>>with A Weezer Touch>>>and Rocking Out The Moog>>>>humm...... Was Another Hard Hitter!!
    grimmy
  • alice in chains- dirt

heavy atomsphere & theme & the music
  • Fear Factory - Demanufacture
    San Francisco, CA 05/15/92 07/16/06
    Mountain View, CA 07/18/92 10/02/94 10/31/00 06/01/03 10/26/03
    San Jose, CA 10/30/93 11/04/95
    Sacramento,CA 07/16/98
    Knoxville, TN 09/06/98
    Oakland, CA 11/26/13  05/12/22
    Seattle, WA 08/10/18

Imagen wrote:
    alice in chains- dirt

heavy atomsphere & theme & the music

hehe good one lol
  • Alice in Chains? Fear Factory!? L7!?!
    Come on people, surely you've heard albums a bit heavier than these?

*Disclaimer - In no way am I denouncing the above bands, i just don't think they should be mentioned in a thread titled 'heaviest bands of the 90s' :)
    But if you really want dark shit, try some Sunn O))) or try Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash... this is really heavy shit.
  • Heh, Sunn0))) are indeed possibly the heaviest band of all time, but are they 90s? Black One certainly isn't anyway, and that's their darkest release.
    Fantastic band though, you should check them out live if you get a chance. Just be sure to smoke some skunk or something beforehand, as you're basically going to be swaying to the drone of feedback for an hour. They started life as an Earth tribute band, and took their sound to new extremes.
    Heh, Sunn0))) are indeed possibly the heaviest band of all time, but are they 90s? Black One certainly isn't anyway, and that's their darkest release.
    Fantastic band though, you should check them out live if you get a chance. Just be sure to smoke some skunk or something beforehand, as you're basically going to be swaying to the drone of feedback for an hour. They started life as an Earth tribute band, and took their sound to new extremes.

They made only 1 album in the 90s, i forgot about the timeline. But in this new millenium Sunn 0))) is the heaviest there is. I don't think I'm going to watch them, they are a little to dark for me. :D
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    NIN - The Downward Spiral
    Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
    Biohazard - State of the World Address
    " " - Mata Leo
    Prong - Another Worldly Device, Snap Your Fingers-Break Your Neck classic songs, Cleansing was the album.:)

All I can think of for now.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Snap Your Fingers-Break Your Neck

one of my fave bands covers this song. Grinspoon are not heavy but you can hear heaviness in the song.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    one of my fave bands covers this song. Grinspoon are not heavy but you can hear heaviness in the song.

I really like this song.:)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i shall add the album 'cleansing' to my already ridiculously long want list
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    sepultura (roots) and Marilyn Manson (antechrist superstar + holy wood) are my favorites...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Left Hand Path ~ ENTOMBED.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Here's one:
    Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro.
    Blisteringly heavy black metal.
  • Wow, we have a lot of heavy music fans! Cool.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! Yes, I love Kyuss also, and Sunn 0)) is definitely the leader of a genre in this decade. Don't forget my countrymen, Boris, too. They are amazing live. Touring the US right now!

I have to get City sooner or later Echoes, I knew you were gonna mention that. ;)

Keep that heavy stuff coming, and if there's any stuff other than metal, I would be very interested to know. Thanks.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
    Wow, we have a lot of heavy music fans! Cool.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! Yes, I love Kyuss also, and Sunn 0)) is definitely the leader of a genre in this decade. Don't forget my countrymen, Boris, too. They are amazing live. Touring the US right now!

I have to get City sooner or later Echoes, I knew you were gonna mention that. ;)

Keep that heavy stuff coming, and if there's any stuff other than metal, I would be very interested to know. Thanks.

Yes, I discovered Boris last week (it's very good). I heard they made an album with Sunn 0)))